NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

I really hate the term "souped up xbox" or "souped up gamecube". I really could smack the guy who came out with that.

I really hate the term "souped up xbox" or "souped up gamecube". I really could smack the guy who came out with that.

Your not the only one.

Your not the only one.

Thank God for that.

I mean, can't we just rejoice in the fact we're getting something different? I know that's how i see it.

im also think about that, Who here thinks the 360 and ps3 arent 'souped up' xboxes and ps2's?

everything is always souped up from it's predecessor.(is that the right word?)

id join you in giving the person who made that up a slap.

Thank God for that.

I mean, can't we just rejoice in the fact we're getting something different? I know that's how i see it.

then again, i hope developers dont get the idea of making gamecube games using the wiimote. lets not forget about the amount of crap thats come out on the ds.

then again, i hope developers dont get the idea of making gamecube games using the wiimote. lets not forget about the amount of crap thats come out on the ds.

It's a big worry for us all. But, so far, this hasn't proved to be happening. Even EA are making good use of the Wiimote with Madden. The game itself looks pretty good too, from what i saw.

Crap is bound to come out at first, but just as long as we get good games I'm not worried.

Every system has its share of crap games. It's all to do with balance. :p

"souped up" is a regretable term, i agree, but nintendo should also consider some of the wishes that customers have. It's great that they follow their own way, but to not include 5.1 dolby surround would be a mistake i think.

There are people at ign that even suggest that the Wii IS a Gamecube with some extra's. Now i don't agree with that but the wii is not cheap without a reason.

Nintendo has actually said to developers 'think GameCube and up' when talking about Wii graphics. You can't blame them for making statements of souped up this and that in that case. And the devkit IGN wrote about in that article technically was a souped up GameCube. It sure got me started when they said those things...

the wii is not cheap without a reason.
That's right. It does stuff to hold its own but doesn't focus on the graphics because it doesn't need to. Therefore it can never compete graphics wise with the 360 and PS3 even though some people still think they can. The Wiimote itself is enough competition for them already :smile:

Found some mention of hollywood

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060520-6877.html

Seems IBM was offering it to apple as a future laptop part.

At the time of The Switch, Apple was entertaining a plethora of very attractive but unreleased and completely unproven PPC options. IBM had offered them Cell on the desktop and Hollywood (the Wii processor) in their laptop line.

Meaning the core must have been at least on par with the g4 line of processors (last ppc chip used in apple laptops). So we seem to have a decent chip in the thing :)

So I have read through the thread, read all the news on Wii and watched the Ninty conference and everything. You could say I'm informed. I'm also pretty optimistic, quite the unrational Nintendo Fanboy, and more or likely the most blind-buying cocksucker ever to have said "I shall pay in hard folding cash, madam" at the bakery.

Yet, if The Tiny Yellow Creatures aren't goint to add a friggin holding-handle to the thing like on the cube, then I'm not buying it. Seriously. The holding-handle on the cube, as goes for a holding handle on every other high-end-never-moved-from-a-certain-place-media-device, is by far the most brilliant thing ever sprouted out of a Tiny Yellow Creature's head.

I propose a petition, signed by "a billion end-users" (Microsoftjokehahaha), to demand holding-handles on all forthcoming nintendo products. Including memorycards, VGA-cables, games (also on the disc itself!), strategyguides, and most importantly the consoles, etc.

end sarcasm.

Nintendo has actually said to developers 'think GameCube and up' when talking about Wii graphics. You can't blame them for making statements of souped up this and that in that case. And the devkit IGN wrote about in that article technically was a souped up GameCube. It sure got me started when they said those things...

That's right. It does stuff to hold its own but doesn't focus on the graphics because it doesn't need to. Therefore it can never compete graphics wise with the 360 and PS3 even though some people still think they can. The Wiimote itself is enough competition for them already :smile:

Exactly, and i don't want those horrible ports to the Wii. I want all Wii-unique games. And for High-polygon-count-games (and HD_DVD) i'll buy either a PS3 or a 360. The Wii should be all about fun gaming. Ofcourse they should make the games graphicly as nice as possible, but judging form the Mario Galaxy footage, it's not impossible to deliver great graphics.

150359429_5851fae1df.jpg

My first experience of stereoscopic goggles.

Too much hassle.. it would be a big turn off for me because you have to let the goggles focus for you- which takes a while to get used to and also to come back to normal life.

I stand by my statement that it would be a class action law suit waiting to happen.. Sony even have a disclaimer on here.

Found some mention of hollywood

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060520-6877.html

Seems IBM was offering it to apple as a future laptop part.

Meaning the core must have been at least on par with the g4 line of processors (last ppc chip used in apple laptops). So we seem to have a decent chip in the thing :)

If that means the Broadway is better than the 1.5 GHz G4s and is an alternative for the Pentium M, that is very promising for the Broadway in the Wii.

If that means the Broadway is better than the 1.5 GHz G4s and is an alternative for the Pentium M, that is very promising for the Broadway in the Wii.

Thats how I read it. Still you must consider that it could simply mean the broadway chip can scale up to that spec (higher clock speed = more heat = more cooling = more cost). We also know that the broadway lost in the bid vs the pentium M (not really suprising as the broadway is designed to be a gaming chip and the P-M is a general computation chip). Still the fact that IBM offered it to apple can at least tell us it could be made to compete.

Very interresting!!! Nice info...tells us a lot!

SpinesN: Don´t confuse the pentium M with the core dou, which is a totally new

architecture(based on pentium3 -> pentium4=trashed,banned,locked,pwnd!)

omg that black controller looks so cool. whats that white thing? the sticker thing to show all the info?

omg that black controller looks so cool. whats that white thing? the sticker thing to show all the info?

im pretty certain its a recent photo, they normally have the codename underneath the sticker,