NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

its probably an old dev kit from before the Wii name was announced, so theres no point sending out the same dev kit with a different name, nice to see that blue glow though.

nice to see the stick is also black to match the rest of it :) black is lookin likley for me now

nice to see the stick is also black to match the rest of it :) black is lookin likley for me now

I think I'm going to have to go for white to match with my 360 and my new TV whenever I get it (which will be silver).

i do like it in white dont get me wrong, but i just think black looks a lot meaner. i think in the end i'll just open up both at work and see which one calls out to me more :)

the more i look at that black controller the more im liking it. i want to see the white one kind of like this image, if you get me to see which one i want. black is looking nicer for me now, which would match my choice of my gamecube and my Tv which is a shite old one. however the white would suit next to my 360.

There's a lot of discussion on which color to buy, which is your favorite, etc. I can tell you that I prefer the white one over the black, but that's not the topic of this reply.

Who told you the Wii was going to launch in black and white ?

At last year E3, five colors were showed (and the lime green one was looking tremendously good). Then, at TGS, only the black version appeared. And now we have seen the white/blue/black colors presented in Los Angeles, while the white dominated. Nintendo is trying different colors to see our react.

As long as I remember (and I now that you'll correct me if I am wrong), Nintendo home consoles always launched in a unique color :

- (S)NES : grey... no match here

- N64 : black

- Cube : Purple

They were later released in others "flavours". I think this statement is still true for the portable market (but I know nothing to it). Then why would it be different this time ?

On a side note, multiple colors make advertising harder, just like if you were advertising multiple products.

This leads me to a statement : The Wii will launch in a unique color !

The white has the wider appeal in a gamer/non gamer, young/old perspective, so I think the apple white will be chosen.

________

A_DIAMOND live

Edited by Philoss

Great work on the LEDs, that's beautiful engineering.

I imagine that is a final dev kit.

I still don't get why that fan is underneath.. say you use it without the stand- even with it it will not circulate effieciently.

Anyway that is look hot. Great call to use gloss on the top and matte/rubbery plastic on the bottom.

Probably one of the coolest colours- but white is best I think.

Wow, that picture almost made me lick my screen. Almost.

Wow that nunchuk is zexxy, that TV in the background looks like the xbox360 demo pod one...

Wow, that picture almost made me lick my screen. Almost.

Touching is good ;)

Yeah, that picture was hot, but hopefully they'll make the black ones good, so that they don't scratch easily becouse then I'm probably getting Wii in another colour.

Can one of you tech heads translate this into something i can understand?

According to an article on Daily Tech, widely ignored during E3 but since gathering some pace, "...the Wii will ship with a PowerPC 750GX CPU jointly developed between IBM and Nintendo. Nintendo says the codename of the processor is Broadway and was manufactured using a 90nm fabrication process. IBM claims the 750GX GPU is based on the 750FX processor designed by the company several years ago. The chip can run at frequencies up to 1.1GHz and includes a 4-way set-associative single core with 1MB L2 cache."

It's all you need.

Wii processor = GameCube processor x 3-ish

It probably also means that it doesn't need a fan to keep cool, so the Wii will be really quiet, as it most likely only will have a small fan for the entire system.

IF that's true it means that it has an excellent graphic card and will be able to do great graphics. IF it's true.

Well, 'R500-based' doesn't mean that much as it could be a crappy Radeon X1300 based chip. Seeing some games however, I would say it's probably similar to a laptop version of the Radeon X1600 or possibly the Mobility X1800 (which would mean extreme improvement over GameCube).

if anyone read the ONM mag on the page where they question the people who made the new songebob. im not sure if hes right but:

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/288/100030my.jpg

where the arrow is, appparently most games only use 20% of what the cube could do.

so this means the re will be pretty damn good

I think that's supposed to mean 20% of all capabilities, not literally power.

The Cube had quite a unique graphics chip, it could do all sorts of things that other hardware couldn't, and therefore it wasn't used by the majority of the developers who thought crossplatform.

But yeah, I think the more memory in the Wii makes quite some difference already on its own. 24 MB of useful stuff in the Cube wasn't really a wealth of rescources.

from the same source

On Nintendo's official Wii hardware "specifications" page, the GPU of the console is listed as still being developed with ATI. Whether this means that the GPU is still being tuned or there was simply a grammatical error on the site is up in the air. Very little is known about the Wii's GPU, codenamed Hollywood except that it is part of ATI's R520 family.

R520= x1800, even if it was x1300 it's pretty good.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/r520-preview.html

Not sure you have seen this already, but in this pic you can see the other side of wii and see those little things for when you put the console out of the stand.oh and .it has more holes to the fans.

otherside9lx.jpg

It doesn't look very pretty but...it's ok

on the left wii, on the underside near those rubber feet are they holes for the fans??

even if it was x1300 it's pretty good.
Heh, the X1300 sucks balls and I bet it gets outperformed by the quite ancient Cube GPU in quite some areas if you'd benchmark it. I don't think we need to worry about it being that bad though. It's probably more related to the X1600, but it needs plenty of editing to make it backwards compatible with the Flipper.

I'm sure those holes are made for airflow, not for fans. The Wii would be cooled sufficiently with a single system fan, otherwise all the 'cool, quiet console' was nonsense. The holes won't make noise, they're just there so the air has another exit besides the fan, so the front of the console can also serve as a heat dump for the hardware.

Xbox 1.5 ??

Actually it wont be the R520: Daily Tech

Updated 05/15/2006: We previously reported that ATI's Hollywood is based on the R520 family of GPUs. This is incorrect, Hollywood is actually rooted in a separate graphics family than desktop GPUs at ATI.