Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Spoilers Topic)

Ashley

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listening to the podcast now - so many complaints so far! They really don't like the Subspace Emissary, do they? Ah well, even if it's not that great, it's not like I played the Adventure mode that much in Melee, anyway. As for the complaint about 'no analogue shield', I didn't even realise Melee had it anyway..

And today on IGN, we're going to talk about how characters that we have yet to unlock play and tell you that a story that we're only 35% through doesnt make any sense and isnt interconnected despite the fact we're barely a third of the way through it..aswell as the fact that bosses in a fighting game arent strategised like bosses in an RPG and so are like bosses in fighting games OH THE HUMANITY

We're great journalists us lolz

And today on IGN, we're going to talk about how characters that we have yet to unlock play and tell you that a story that we're only 35% through doesnt make any sense and isnt interconnected despite the fact we're barely a third of the way through it..aswell as the fact that bosses in a fighting game arent strategised like bosses in an RPG and so are like bosses in fighting games OH THE HUMANITY

We're great journalists us lolz

Many stories have holes in them when you're only one third way through, duh? If you knew everything at 35%, why continue reading/watching/playing?

And I didn't get that boss-thing there.

Many stories have holes in them when you're only one third way through, duh? If you knew everything at 35%, why continue reading/watching/playing?

And I didn't get that boss-thing there.

I think he was being ironic - that was what IGN have basically been saying about the game, now what Serebii thinks of it

How come IGN is so hard on the Subspace Emissary? What I've seen of it, it looks amazing.

In the Podcast they say it doesn’t work too well as a sidescroller since when you get hit you fly back so far and the characters float when they jump, so platforming sections are not quite right.

It sounded to me that they where complaining for the sake of complaining that said Peer's came out with most of that and he's usually pretty fair on things.

Because they're idiotic non-journalists (actual ones wouldnt do something this stupid...trust me, I am one)

At the start of the SSE from what I can tell, everything is seperated which is why it doesnt make sense, but before long it all comes together...if they waited before saying shit like this they would know that

And their saying of how characters play before they even have access to them just reeks of unprofessionalism and just general ignorance

IGN have gone down a lot in my respect books for this

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/review/928518.html

You can read some gamer reviews if you want to here by the way. Be warned a few are completely idiotic with things such as giving control 6/10 based solely on Wii-mote play but some of them make good points of how the game will feel to Smash veterans who're into all the hardcore aspects of melee such as wave dashing and l cancelling.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/review/928518.html

You can read some gamer reviews if you want to here by the way. Be warned a few are completely idiotic with things such as giving control 6/10 based solely on Wii-mote play but some of them make good points of how the game will feel to Smash veterans who're into all the hardcore aspects of melee such as wave dashing and l cancelling.

Some of these reviews are just plain retarded. -5 points of gameplay because they added nothing new to the combact aspects (like they did from 64 to melee) and made him wait seven years for this when he claims he loved melee -__-

One of the things I'm speculating about is how the four taunt messages are going to work with the Wiimote with and without Nunchuk as those two options haven't got 4 different taunt directions. Wiimote alone has even only one taunt button. How is that working out?

Could be random

You guys seen some of the reviews on GameFAQs...they're laughable

Here's a few funny tidbits

"After you turn off all the items and ignore the graphics upgrades, you will soon forget this is Super Smash Brothers Brawl for the Wii. "

"Gameplay is simply horrible compared to past Smash Bros. games. Right from the beginning, the game seems slower than Captain Falcon's "Falcon Punch" from the original SSB. Physics have changed the gameplay drastically. No longer can you expect to perform great combos from a distance. No longer can you lunge at your opponent. The game has become more aerial move-based, but it's bad in that sense too. For a close combat character, fighting becomes difficult. For a projectile using fighter, projectiles are easily dodged. Gameplay is very floaty and annoying. It's incredibly hard to get used to."

"The control is just weak. I mean, you allow the game to be played with just the Wiimote. You understand that not everyone can afford controllers. Why offer the option if that mode just sucks? I can barely pull off a combo with this weakness. Sure, I could plug my nunchuck in and play using that, but I can't stand doing that. So I'm going to review it as if I only had the Wiimote, a mode they allow, but suck at. gg nintendo"

"The fact that most of you will be using a Gamecube controller certainly won't help either. The only major difference between the two is the absence of wave-dashing, which is really hard to adjust to in the beginning. All the old techniques are still present, such as Directional Influence, L-Cancel, teching and anything else I might have missed. There are also other minor differences, such as an overall slower feel to the game, a toned down DI and an increase in difficulty to execute short hops, but that might be just me. I must add I also disliked how the Shielding feels in this game. It's very different from Melee and not in a good way."

The last one was soon followed in the same review with:

"What I really want to stress though, is that absolutely nothing has changed from Melee to Brawl. "

They're hilarious. Most of them are clearly done by people who havent played it. One review gave it lots of praise except for controls and gave it a 5/10 just for that lol

Could be random

You guys seen some of the reviews on GameFAQs...they're laughable

Here's a few funny tidbits

"After you turn off all the items and ignore the graphics upgrades, you will soon forget this is Super Smash Brothers Brawl for the Wii. "

"Gameplay is simply horrible compared to past Smash Bros. games. Right from the beginning, the game seems slower than Captain Falcon's "Falcon Punch" from the original SSB. Physics have changed the gameplay drastically. No longer can you expect to perform great combos from a distance. No longer can you lunge at your opponent. The game has become more aerial move-based, but it's bad in that sense too. For a close combat character, fighting becomes difficult. For a projectile using fighter, projectiles are easily dodged. Gameplay is very floaty and annoying. It's incredibly hard to get used to."

"The control is just weak. I mean, you allow the game to be played with just the Wiimote. You understand that not everyone can afford controllers. Why offer the option if that mode just sucks? I can barely pull off a combo with this weakness. Sure, I could plug my nunchuck in and play using that, but I can't stand doing that. So I'm going to review it as if I only had the Wiimote, a mode they allow, but suck at. gg nintendo"

"The fact that most of you will be using a Gamecube controller certainly won't help either. The only major difference between the two is the absence of wave-dashing, which is really hard to adjust to in the beginning. All the old techniques are still present, such as Directional Influence, L-Cancel, teching and anything else I might have missed. There are also other minor differences, such as an overall slower feel to the game, a toned down DI and an increase in difficulty to execute short hops, but that might be just me. I must add I also disliked how the Shielding feels in this game. It's very different from Melee and not in a good way."

The last one was soon followed in the same review with:

"What I really want to stress though, is that absolutely nothing has changed from Melee to Brawl. "

They're hilarious. Most of them are clearly done by people who havent played it. One review gave it lots of praise except for controls and gave it a 5/10 just for that lol

This really shows that these guys' expectations had gone to their heads. The great reviews seem more realistic and just. One guy notes that when Melee first came out, we didn't know any of the special techniques, and he points out that we will probably discover many techniques in Brawl with time. Of course we're biased in judging these reviews, but in all honesty, it seems the bad reviews come from people who somehow thought Brawl would be Melee - without being Melee.

This is my favourite comment:

Is he joking? We'll just never know.

Americans. What do you expect. (No offence to americans who visit these boards. The ones on Gamefaqs can display a shocking lack of cerebral functions such as thought :heh:)

And yeah Serebii that was the first review i read. Pathetic. They say they are reviewing the game from all angles i.e beginners can expect this, pros can expect that, etc. but their complaints are totally from biased and just plain un-thought out positions lending them an air of ineptitude.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!