NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Galaxy

Haha, quality.

I remember me and some friends talking about Mario and imaging that the next step, going from Super Mario Land to Super Mario World... was clearly space. Little did we know it was just gonna be Super Mario 64. Logical. :laughing:

Just Super Mario 64? Just? :nono:

There is no such thing as "just Super Mario 64".

Edited by Captain Falcon

Just Super Mario 64? Just? :nono:

There is no such thing as "just Super Mario 64".

I knew someone would pick up on that. :heh:

The other day I foolishly said I didn't really like this, but 14 Stars in and I love it, I genuinely do. Like many Wii games, it took me a long time to learn the gameplay/controls, but once the gameplay takes hold, it doesn't let go! I can't stop playing it.

The music and graphics are brilliant, that goes without saying. It feels like I've stepped into a cartoon (a really good one.) The colour palette is amazingly gorgeous, pitch perfect, best I've ever seen.

I'm particularly impressed by the motion controls. They are genuinely flawless, which surprised me for a pre-MotionPlus game.

Mario really feels like a super hero, saving the Toads who are stuck in space, and taking on Bowser's scary and intimidating armada. I loved Mario 64 and Sunshine, but I didn't realise how little they really capture the Mario universe (Mario 64 is basically an experiment in 3D with Mario stuck on! Sunshine is more about the tropical theme.) In Galaxy, Bowser's vast army is rendered perfectly, with characters like Kamek and those octopus guys as part of the battleship's weaponry.

There are loads of impressive changes in scale, such as when the giant robot appears. The thing that really made me say "whoa!" though, was the manta ray race. The way the water surges up really gave me my first "wow" moment of this gen. It's even better than Sunshine, and it's not just visual, it affects the gameplay.

Last night I bashed Bowser and "bombed the rubbish" in Space Junk Galaxy. Please tell me there's not a more difficult version of that to come!

I'm finding the difficulty of this game just right. It's not too easy at all. In reality, you're calling upon years of gaming experience when you play it. It's not frustrating, but that's a good thing.

Beach Bowl Galaxy is my favourite so far, with the lovely water and cute penguins "Ask us - we're friendly!" I love the way slightly translucent speech bubbles appear above most characters, so you don't have to press "A".

I love the textures, the lighting, the fur, the animation, the scaling... It's joy after joy. If the next Zelda is anything like this, we're in for a treat!

I really hope number 2 is released sooner rather then later! I still haven't got 'every' star in Mario Galaxy but have completed it..adored every minute of it.

and "bombed the rubbish" in Space Junk Galaxy. Please tell me there's not a more difficult version of that to come!

*He looks so happy just sitting there enjoying the game.... I can't do it, someone else break it to him!*

Can someone tell me what Retro Link said, please? My eyes can only read a certain font size. It's OK though, I think he said there's no more bombing the rubbish to come! :D

Can someone tell me what Retro Link said, please? My eyes can only read a certain font size. It's OK though, I think he said there's no more bombing the rubbish to come! :D

We don't mention it 'round these parts o' the internet, boy.:woops:

and we don't take kindly to folks asking questions 'round here.

Do I make myself clear, son!

There's nothing wrong with your eyesight. : peace:

I've got 45 Stars now and am onto Gusty Gardens. I beat Bouldergeist (normal + Daredevil) - hugely satisfying to swing those bombs into him! Also got the chance to do the Dino Piranha Speed Run, which showed me how much I'd picked up the gameplay since I first started playing.

Is it just me, or are those octopus things actually Octoroks from the Zelda series? I don't remember seeing them in a Mario game before.

I've got 45 Stars now and am onto Gusty Gardens. I beat Bouldergeist (normal + Daredevil) - hugely satisfying to swing those bombs into him! Also got the chance to do the Dino Piranha Speed Run, which showed me how much I'd picked up the gameplay since I first started playing.
Congrats, for me 1hit-Bouldergeist was probably my most frustrating star in the game.

Congrats, for me 1hit-Bouldergeist was probably my most frustrating star in the game.

Same here but the dare-devil run on Melty Molten came close...

Thanks Retro. For some reason, 3rd-person battles are my sort of thing. On the other hand, I can tell some of the obstacle courses are going to be a nightmare under a time limit.

Same here but the dare-devil run on Melty Molten came close...

For me the hardest dare devil runs were the mole in Gusty Garden and the Melty Molten one.

Curiously, on my Luigi run of the game, I had more trouble on the Bouldergeist dare devil run, though.

I've got 45 Stars now and am onto Gusty Gardens. I beat Bouldergeist (normal + Daredevil).

Naice! :grin:

I've yet to get that star. I just can't do it!

I've got like 108 stars. I'm so close but Purple Coin Challenges that are timed ruin me. :p

Secret is to take your time. if I remember correctly, none of the timed challenges are really that tight, your mind just makes you think you have little time and then you make mistakes. Just try to take it easy. Even the Toy Galaxy purple coin challenge (probably the hardest in the game together with the Juggernaut one) gives you plenty of time to complete it without rushing it.

yeah to be honest it's the time galaxy! If that is the one with the rotating platforms for the purple coin challenge. I panic and die instantly. :p

I've got 45 Stars now and am onto Gusty Gardens.

The greatest level ever!!!

Not only because of the wonderful music

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

But also the sheer greatness of how colorful and the level design is.

super-mario-galaxy-20070711110616131_640w.jpg

The Mario Galaxy team have a very hard job in making something new and greater then this level I can just tell you that :D

I agree! Gusty Garden Galaxy is amazing! The music and all! I'm tempted to go back and play on that level even though I have all the stars.

I agree! Gusty Garden Galaxy is amazing! The music and all!

I'm growing to hate the Gusty Garden music as I've been using it as my alarm tune recently. :zzz:

Well, I "finished" it last night and bashed Bowser! The funny thing is, I haven't even been in the 5th Observatory yet. Here we go...!

I'm growing to hate the Gusty Garden music as I've been using it as my alarm tune recently. :zzz:

I did this with the Toy Time Galaxy music. :heh: