NEurope
EchoDesiato

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

They might do a bundle with both versions.Like with Advent children,you could get a bundle with the UMD and DVD.If they bundle both then I will get it ,if not i'll just get both.

The game looks so different since I played it last August. I really hope they have it there again so I can try it out with Wii controls...

*hopes*

The new EGM, which was not supposed to come out before E3 (I personally think somebody stole an issue and took photos because I didn't hear of another person getting the issue besides this one guy), but it was everywhere on the show floor. So I stopped by the Ziff/Davis booth and picked myself up a copy yesterday after failing to get one on Wednesday. Here's the full scoop.

Basically, this is an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma. First, Eiji Aonuma explains that Twilight Princess was having physical problems, such as gameplay mechanics and graphics. He also stated that Iwata didn't want Zelda measured on a scale from 1-100, he wanted it on a scale from 1-120. Aonuma also adds that the delay was only once, it was meant to be a year, and it was also to implement Wii functionality (guess NGC was correct).

The next question focuses on the rationale behind the Wii functionality, and Shigeru Miyamoto explains that the Wii controller allows gamers to do complex things very simply. He points out that aiming on the older controllers was very sluggish and slow because it is like controlling a puppet. Now it is very intuitive he says. EGM then asks about controlling the sword with the Wii controller, and they explained during testing, people were getting too tired having to move their arms around for so long. There may be certain areas that require the Wii to use your sword (in the demo, you can use the Wii to shield thrust).

Next, EGM asks about the speaker in the Wii controller, which Aonuma explains will help with sound effects when you toss items or shoot your bow, and maybe Navi will give you feedback through it. And yes, Aonuma calls her Navi. EGM does not ask if it is the same Navi from Ocarina of Time, but she's only in the Wii version, and meant to be a help device, not a character.

EGM moves on to ask about any other differences between the Wii and GCN versions, and Aonuma explains he is asked constantly about a widescreen mode. On Wii, there will be a 16:9 widescreen mode (which everyone sees at E3). Eiji also states Navi will only be in the Wii version. Shigeru Miyamoto chimes in and reiterates that they never were developing two different versions of Twilight Princess, where one might have different events, enemies or dungeons. There are only minor graphical upgrades and small features.

Then EGM asks about Wi-Fi possibilities for Twilight Princess, and Aonuma quickly states no online co-op or versus mode will be in Twilight Princess, but there may be some form of online feature. They want to find the "hook" to make Zelda online. He states Phantom Hourglass will have it, but it is a 1-on-1 capture the flag style game (which I think sucks from my play throughs).

The last question is about The Wind Waker being criticized for being too short and too easy. Aonuma clarifies that The Wind Waker was meant to be for anyone, so that anyone could beat it. But Twilight Princess is for the hardcore fan. It already has surpassed Ocarina of Time in dungeons and size. His real objective is to make the hardcore Zelda fan look forward to Twilight Princess.

Besides the interview, there are some other small sub-areas in the feature. The first reveals that the Twilight Realm is no longer black and white (thus, I was wrong, for now, about Midna existing outside of it - I didn't know it wasn't black and white anymore). Instead, it is colorful, but there is this hazy effect to make it feel warped. Also, Wolf Link looks much better, and the cel-shaded "arm" has been toned down (or it may be toggled on and off like an item and is just off).

Aonuma also commented on the concerns of people looking silly playing Twilight Princess on the Wii. He has a pic of him holding the controllers like a bow and arrow setup, drawing the arrow back. I tried this, and found it a bit ackward, but it was kinda fun to pretend. He says aiming should be easy, but many people at E3 had a hard time. But I give it the benefit of the doubt that many people there were horrible at the game, and that those weren't finalized Wiis on the the floor.

There's also a small snippet about Link being able to carry somebody else on his back when he is a Wolf, but there is not hint as to who.

There's also a page on Phantom Hourglass, in which Aonuma re-affirmed it will be a sequel to The Wind Waker and he was happy to bring back The Wind Waker's style since it was appropriate for the DS. Shigeru Miyamoto explains that the concept behind Phantom Hourglass was to make a really new Zelda experience by using the stylus (which I think needs more work). There will be an online mode, as mentioned before, which Aonuma explains is just a one player versus another. So far, it is just a local wireless feature - not Wi-Fi online.

Finally, on the last page, we see a screen of Wolf Link vanishing Matrix style. EGM speculates this is how Link travels between the Twilight Realm and the "Light" world. There's also a Rogue's gallery of artwork, which shows a Noble Knight with a stand and staff that stand up on their own with these 'feet" things, and a "blade" of some sort sticking out of nowhere. But he does have a sword and he looks really different from the guards in Ocarina of Time.

The next image is of a Goron, whith bolts and screws holding metal plats and "blocks" (sort of a Goron's version of iron knuckles - the real weapons, not the Zelda enemy). He looks twisted, dark, and deformed. He also looks just like the boss in that trailer released. So looks like the Gorons have turned evil. The excerpt also explains Zoras and Deku Scrubs may get the same treatment.

Finally, there are two...um...strange looking fellas who seem to be giving Tingle a run for his money. They look male, they look like circus performers or part of a troupe, and they look sexually confused. Perhaps we'll see a new side of Tingle?

source

No more black and white colour world. :(

The new EGM, which was not supposed to come out before E3 (I personally think somebody stole an issue and took photos because I didn't hear of another person getting the issue besides this one guy), but it was everywhere on the show floor. So I stopped by the Ziff/Davis booth and picked myself up a copy yesterday after failing to get one on Wednesday. Here's the full scoop.

Basically, this is an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma. First, Eiji Aonuma explains that Twilight Princess was having physical problems, such as gameplay mechanics and graphics. He also stated that Iwata didn't want Zelda measured on a scale from 1-100, he wanted it on a scale from 1-120. Aonuma also adds that the delay was only once, it was meant to be a year, and it was also to implement Wii functionality (guess NGC was correct).

The next question focuses on the rationale behind the Wii functionality, and Shigeru Miyamoto explains that the Wii controller allows gamers to do complex things very simply. He points out that aiming on the older controllers was very sluggish and slow because it is like controlling a puppet. Now it is very intuitive he says. EGM then asks about controlling the sword with the Wii controller, and they explained during testing, people were getting too tired having to move their arms around for so long. There may be certain areas that require the Wii to use your sword (in the demo, you can use the Wii to shield thrust).

Next, EGM asks about the speaker in the Wii controller, which Aonuma explains will help with sound effects when you toss items or shoot your bow, and maybe Navi will give you feedback through it. And yes, Aonuma calls her Navi. EGM does not ask if it is the same Navi from Ocarina of Time, but she's only in the Wii version, and meant to be a help device, not a character.

EGM moves on to ask about any other differences between the Wii and GCN versions, and Aonuma explains he is asked constantly about a widescreen mode. On Wii, there will be a 16:9 widescreen mode (which everyone sees at E3). Eiji also states Navi will only be in the Wii version. Shigeru Miyamoto chimes in and reiterates that they never were developing two different versions of Twilight Princess, where one might have different events, enemies or dungeons. There are only minor graphical upgrades and small features.

Then EGM asks about Wi-Fi possibilities for Twilight Princess, and Aonuma quickly states no online co-op or versus mode will be in Twilight Princess, but there may be some form of online feature. They want to find the "hook" to make Zelda online. He states Phantom Hourglass will have it, but it is a 1-on-1 capture the flag style game (which I think sucks from my play throughs).

The last question is about The Wind Waker being criticized for being too short and too easy. Aonuma clarifies that The Wind Waker was meant to be for anyone, so that anyone could beat it. But Twilight Princess is for the hardcore fan. It already has surpassed Ocarina of Time in dungeons and size. His real objective is to make the hardcore Zelda fan look forward to Twilight Princess.

Besides the interview, there are some other small sub-areas in the feature. The first reveals that the Twilight Realm is no longer black and white (thus, I was wrong, for now, about Midna existing outside of it - I didn't know it wasn't black and white anymore). Instead, it is colorful, but there is this hazy effect to make it feel warped. Also, Wolf Link looks much better, and the cel-shaded "arm" has been toned down (or it may be toggled on and off like an item and is just off).

Aonuma also commented on the concerns of people looking silly playing Twilight Princess on the Wii. He has a pic of him holding the controllers like a bow and arrow setup, drawing the arrow back. I tried this, and found it a bit ackward, but it was kinda fun to pretend. He says aiming should be easy, but many people at E3 had a hard time. But I give it the benefit of the doubt that many people there were horrible at the game, and that those weren't finalized Wiis on the the floor.

There's also a small snippet about Link being able to carry somebody else on his back when he is a Wolf, but there is not hint as to who.

There's also a page on Phantom Hourglass, in which Aonuma re-affirmed it will be a sequel to The Wind Waker and he was happy to bring back The Wind Waker's style since it was appropriate for the DS. Shigeru Miyamoto explains that the concept behind Phantom Hourglass was to make a really new Zelda experience by using the stylus (which I think needs more work). There will be an online mode, as mentioned before, which Aonuma explains is just a one player versus another. So far, it is just a local wireless feature - not Wi-Fi online.

Finally, on the last page, we see a screen of Wolf Link vanishing Matrix style. EGM speculates this is how Link travels between the Twilight Realm and the "Light" world. There's also a Rogue's gallery of artwork, which shows a Noble Knight with a stand and staff that stand up on their own with these 'feet" things, and a "blade" of some sort sticking out of nowhere. But he does have a sword and he looks really different from the guards in Ocarina of Time.

The next image is of a Goron, whith bolts and screws holding metal plats and "blocks" (sort of a Goron's version of iron knuckles - the real weapons, not the Zelda enemy). He looks twisted, dark, and deformed. He also looks just like the boss in that trailer released. So looks like the Gorons have turned evil. The excerpt also explains Zoras and Deku Scrubs may get the same treatment.

Finally, there are two...um...strange looking fellas who seem to be giving Tingle a run for his money. They look male, they look like circus performers or part of a troupe, and they look sexually confused. Perhaps we'll see a new side of Tingle?

source

No more black and white colour world. :(

I read all that pretty good read. Anyway WHERES THE SCREENS =( i want to see the goron!

btw I didnt like the light and dark world feature in Metroid Prime Echoes, i just hope it doesant work the same as that.

No offense to the game and all but since E3,personally I think it has gotten worse,i'm sorry.From seeing the first 3 trailers I loved,but since reading about it and seeing the trailer and now this,it is'nt as good as I thought.The twilight realm was great in black and white and really looked fantastic and mystical with a sense of danger and anticipation like it should and since it is no longer just black and white they have to go back and change it all to a fuzzy look and colour which has delayed the game longer.Zelda is no longer really medi-evil now aswell which is a big change.Twice we have seen technology which is not Zelda,at the trailer we see a scientist in a lab with a green-ish sort of chemical with a with a torch light mask I think it was and also we have seen more machinary with the iron boots and you you use machinery.It's just not Zelda I was far more hyped up about it before E3.I don't think it will beat OOT.But I haven't played it yet so it's keeping me going I wish it just came out in November.Feel free to flame me and object,I want my opinion to change.

No offense to the game and all but since E3,personally I think it has gotten worse,i'm sorry.From seeing the first 3 trailers I loved,but since reading about it and seeing the trailer and now this,it is'nt as good as I thought.The twilight realm was great in black and white and really looked fantastic and mystical with a sense of danger and anticipation like it should and since it is no longer just black and white they have to go back and change it all to a fuzzy look and colour which has delayed the game longer.Zelda is no longer really medi-evil now aswell which is a big change.Twice we have seen technology which is not Zelda,at the trailer we see a scientist in a lab with a green-ish sort of chemical with a with a torch light mask I think it was and also we have seen more machinary with the iron boots and you you use machinery.It's just not Zelda I was far more hyped up about it before E3.I don't think it will beat OOT.But I haven't played it yet so it's keeping me going I wish it just came out in November.Feel free to flame me and object,I want my opinion to change.
Zelda's had modern things like a photographic camera for years and no one complained... it's just fantasy, of course you won't see a cyborg in there... but nothing there seemed out of place to me.

and the idea of using magnets with the iron boots is genious to my eyes.

As for twilight realm I think it's still dark and moody, only now it has more colors... I'm very hyped for this game. but yeah, you shouldn't hype yourself like "this game is going to be better than OoT, because setting standards like that may get you waiting too much of the game... I just wait for a awesome Zelda game, but note that my favorite zelda ever isn't even ooT (although I think it is the most balanced Zelda game)

I quite liked the magnet thing as it does a more problem solving feature but the camera isn't as technological as the magnet and the guy at the start of the trailer.It does look good,just not as good as I first thought.Please people change my mind here :(

I quite liked the magnet thing as it does a more problem solving feature but the camera isn't as technological as the magnet and the guy at the start of the trailer.It does look good,just not as good as I first thought.Please people change my mind here :(

Wait for the game.

dont mean to sound like a grafix whore ......

but is the wii version any better looking then the cube version ...

if so ...how so?

dont mean to be a physicist or something crazy like that, but shouldnt the magnet affect other things apart from the boots?

i mean, unless his sword, shield, earring, hookshot (etc etc) are made of some crazy Hylian ceramic, im fairly sure that they would get stuck on the magnet....

anyway. looking good. but hoping that when i get the wii version, i will be able to plug in a 'normal' control and play if i feel llike it.

dont mean to be a physicist or something crazy like that, but shouldnt the magnet affect other things apart from the boots?

i mean, unless his sword, shield, earring, hookshot (etc etc) are made of some crazy Hylian ceramic, im fairly sure that they would get stuck on the magnet....

anyway. looking good. but hoping that when i get the wii version, i will be able to plug in a 'normal' control and play if i feel llike it.

Well the boots are made from iron so obviously they'll be attracted to magnets, but maybe his sword and shield are made from a strange Hyrulian metal that isn't attracted to metal. I don't even think about logic in most games anymore anyway, I just play to have fun and these magnets seem like an interesting gameplay twist.

*Holds Master Sword to Shadows Throat*

You will enjoy this game!

The only problem I see with this Zelda is the release date. How the hell im I supposed to play my new Wii games when they give me Zelda on the same day. Mass amount of time off work I feel is the way forward.

I think the Wii is worth buying just for this game. The Legend of Zelda has the best storylines and characters of any game around, it even has the best music. I would put money on this being almost on a par with OoT.

Twilight Princess has minor graphical improvements on the Wii apparently, and the control scheme is different. The only difference in gameplay in GC and Wii versions is that the Wii version has Navi in it. It has been referred to as Navi by Eonimu (???) Aonuma but I'm not sure whether there will be a cutscene in which Navi believes that this Link is the Link she lost years ago, whether this comes before Ocarina, or whether she is there for help with the Wii controls.

I want Navi to believe this Link is the Link in OOT so it can shed light on what happened between now and then.But I read she wasn't a character jsut used as a pointer in the Wii version.

But I read she wasn't a character jsut used as a pointer in the Wii version.

Yeah; i thought that from the off. Just a 2d icon on the screen, it isn't actually in the game world if you know what i mean.

I'd prefer a cutscene in which she thinks Link has forgotten her and she joins him though he is utterly confused.

Navi gives comments though, so she must be real.

You do realise that the twilight realm was probably just b&w in the beggining, like in WW. I honestly don't want to spend hours playing a black and white game, when it can have beautiful colors. No offense either, but your reasons for liking this game less are... well... stupid. Again, no offense, you know I love you man!

Again, no offense, you know I love you man!

Heh no prob.I'm over it now and i've began to like it a lot.Just took me time getting over it like the Wii name.Got no worries about it now :)

Maybe the laws of physics simply don't apply in Hyrule. That would explain many other strange things such as warping, shooting arrows of light, a planet turning at demonic speed around it's axis so a day only takes a couple of minutes, hovering dark castles and such, not to mention the many creatures of which not a single trace is found in Darwin's "Origin of the species".

Clearly these nintendococksuckers have never read half of a sciencebook.

Ooh fighting talk! Hehe, I joke. There is only three magnetic metals, the odds are out of the many others his sword and earrings, etc. aren't made from nickel, iron or cobalt.

Clearly these nintendococksuckers have never read half of a sciencebook.
Hahah classic, quoted for truth.. basically it's a game- the magnet shit is obviously to make the gameplay a bit more varied- add something new to the game and make the controller even harder to use.

By making everything upside-down.

Quit yo' jibba jabba.

Wow that interview is awesome. Props to Dante for being the forum's portal to the rest of the internet, well done again :smile:

Seems the Wii version of Zelda that everyone was playing at E3...was infact the gamecube version useing the Wii's remote:

See here:

http://theboard.zogdog.com/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=11&showentry=1281

And here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100631

So Nintendo are actually removing the widescreen mode from the gamecube version if this is true since it was widescreen at E3...

^ It doesn't bother me at all, they need to do things like that if they want to obtain their results... they could have canceled the cube version aswell...

Also Wii will probably have a higher framerate and with the extra resolution on cube, on levels that we didn't see in the game may have a lot of slowdown due to be running at 853x480p... the game runs at 30 frames already.