NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Platty

Do you shut down ?

Ok so ive got this new super duper fast computer and i was reading somewhere that you shouldnt really shut down a lot because when your computer reloads it puts a lot of stress on your processor and motherboard.

Is there any truth in this? I always used to shut down my old computer and i had that for 6 years and its still going.

If you dont shut down what do you do leave it on standby all the time eating up electricity or some sort of sleep mode ?

Just wondering whats the best thing to do as i love my new baby and dont want any harm to come to her. :kiss:

I put my Mac to sleep (hibernate) at night and during the day when I'm at school. I like to restart once a week though as it seems to speed things up. My 'big' PC gets turned off at night, but is on virtually all day...

Let's see, my uptime is right now 3 weeks, 4 days and 14 hours. No, I don't shutdown, neither do I put it too sleep, mainly becouse my computer doesn't make any noises when I don't use it so... But still, I should probably restart soon.

Yes, powering a computer down/up puts stress on it, but so does having it on 24/7 (altough, that's different kind of stress).

It stays on most of the day, and sleeps at night.

My laptop is only on when its being used.

I've been shutting and restarting my PC every morning and night willy-nilly for months, and so far it seems to have survived without exploding into flames. I wouldn't worry about it.

I left my pc on for the past 4 days, and then i started getting problems, like random shut downs, dunno why. the memory was full tho. time for more ram.

This is the first time I've heard of this.

Anyway, I always shut down my PC when I'm not using it (about 5 or 6 times a day, if not more) and I’ve never had any problems with it. I got the impression that leaving it on for ages would fuck it up, rather than shutting it down. ::shrug:

I usually keep both my machines on 24/7, so no I don't shut down unless I really have to.

I never shut down my pc, no reason to really.

I usually shut down before going to bed - my PC is incredibly noisy.

Sometimes I put it on stand-by but there are days when the comp simply refuses to stay in stand-by so I usually only turn the screen off.

I turn it off whenever I'm not using it. It seems logical to me, seeing as every machine needs some rest. To me, it's more harmful to leave it on than turn it off. Think of the radiation.

I used to turn my old pc off whenever I was coming off it, then I had problems with it overheating and it wasn't working right. hehehe then lightning hit my house - hit the telewest cable to be precise and it took out my pc, dvd, digital tv, phone etc and I got a brand new pc with the insurance :D

Now I leave it on all day and only turn it off when I go to sleep, no problems so far :)

I always turn my pc off (the wrong way, like the plug) everytime i stop using it and mines never messed up and ive had it 2 1/2 - 3 year

I've heard it puts stress on it as well. I've also heard that you should shut down because thats when it installs updates and it does something else (repairs broken files or something). I shut down every night.

I heard it's actualy more energy efficient to leave your computer all the time because it uses up so much power just to turn it on. Not sure if that's true or not though.

Mine stays on most of the day, but I'll turn it off before going to bed, I'll leave it on even if i'm not using it durring the day, but I do shut down at night. I though it would over heat if I didn't..?

Well that's not true especially these days when the normal psu is a 500w one. And a powerful pc can consume 480+ kWh/year. Still that shouldn't show as a tremendous spike in the power bill. But if you constantly shut it off/on it will consume more energy than leaving on. But if you turn it off for the night it's consuming less energy than keeping it on.

Mine stays on most of the day, but I'll turn it off before going to bed, I'll leave it on even if i'm not using it durring the day, but I do shut down at night. I though it would over heat if I didn't..?

If your pc would overheat it would do it under stress in few seconds. But it can overheat if the cooling system fails while it's on. But modern cpu's are designed to shut themselves if the temperature rises above safe values.

i turn it off when i dont use it. arent your electricity billsof r keeping it on all the time really high??

my dad always complains about the bill being so high all the time

Never, only restart when my cheap USB modem crashes my Mac or when there is a big update from Apple.

I ususally put my laptop into sleep mode (i.e. i just close the lid)

I believe the stress put on the pc to turn it on isn't much more than the stress you put on it when loading a game. It's not much different i think, read the windows from the HDD or read a game's files from the HDD.

Anyway, i turn it off during the night and leave it on durind the day.

my mac is turned on 24/7, except when i really really don't need him, then i put him on hibernate. my pc is only turned on when i need him, but then he's turned on the whole day. pc's need much energy, so i try to power them off as often as possible.

my mac is turned on 24/7, except when i really really don't need him, then i put him on hibernate. my pc is only turned on when i need him, but then he's turned on the whole day. pc's need much energy, so i try to power them off as often as possible.

Him? :heh:

(My Mac Mini's a girl)

Hmm.. well i only shut down when i want to turn the computer off.

Sign in to follow this