NEurope
Nick

What The Hell?? Nintendo Wii!!??

Ideas for T-shirts -

"I really need a wii!"

"Wanna play with my wee wii?"

"I'll have a wii please!"

Wii stands for nothing, though it symbolises 'we' playing together, and the two ii symbolise people playing and controllers.

It does symbolise people playing together but Wii is so abstract it MUST stand for something......

i liked the name a lot more than i thought when i went to sleep last night... but when i keep reading all the jokes and game titles like tomb raider wii or mario wii, i start to dislike it again :(

Some of you should really listen to yourselves... "OMG Nintendo are doomed!", "It's called Wii, it's gonna suck!", "Nintendo have just shot themselves in the foot!" I mean, really.... how ott can you get? Okay, so I'm not too fond of the name, but I admit it's a clever concept (with good use of metaphors, it's witty, etc.)

It may be called Wii, so what? Is a name going to ruin the gaming experience? No. Is a name going to have any effect on the games that are released? No. Is a name going to effect the gameplay? No!

Some people are so ignorant. We're looking at what is probably the most innovative creation in gaming history to date, and people think it's rubbish/doomed just because of a name?

If i'm honest, i didn't like the name at first, until i read a little more into the article on this website about the name being revealed.

Wii. When i read it, i read it as "why". Why did i do this? Because it's an awful lot like Nintendo WiFi. They have a consistency going on here.

The Nintendo Wii. Pronounced as in "we". I think it's quite a clever name. Maybe a name too tailor made for the japanese market though? That's what worries me.

One thing: How many of us liked the name "DS" when we first heard it? I thought it was quite horrid and i didn't expect to be hearing the name much. But, it's everywhere. And, it does fit in with Nintendo's philosophy.

Agreed with CoolFunkMan. :)

After sleeping on the name, I can definitely say I'm liking it.

Love it or hate it, you have to admit EVERYONE is talking about it. Even the BBC have reported it. With just a single webpage and video, Nintendo have captured everyone's attention yet again.

The PS3 and 360 names were met by the sound of rolling tumbleweed. Because those names were nothing new. Their "revolutionary" announcement of HDTV support didn't generate anywhere near as much fuss as Wii's controller did (hmm, what do we call it now? Revmote is outdated. Wiimote?).

Sony and Microsoft would kill for the sheer amount of publicity that Wii is getting.

Love it or hate it, you have to say Nintendo have got balls. They're taking risks, they're pushing for something new.

Roll on E3!

I'm actually liking the name now that I woke up. It's easy to say and it certainly is like some brand names you see popping up. I like it.

I'm not saying OMG Nintendo iz like so totally doomed!!!!!!

Of course its not going to affect gameplay, the games released or anything like that. It'll still have great games and be original and fresh. I'm just saying I've got some reservations about the name, in that it may alienate some of the gaming population meaning some people wont even try the wii to experience its new outlook on gaming (i.e. teenage gamers). Seems like Nintendo are putting all their eggs in the non-gamer basket with the name rather then the teenage 'cool is king' market that Sony and Microsoft go for. The name is growing on me though slowly though, sounds sort of cute and I love the idea of the remote being called a wiimote.

Are you purposefully missing the point? 'We' is a pronoun. It's not grammatically correct to say 'the we' or 'I like we'. 'Wee' is a noun. It's grammatically correct to say 'the wee' and 'I like wee', even if you wouldn't necessarily say them in everyday conversatin.

Yess I was. However, if you want to go into grammar, you can say that no-one should find anything funny, as we will call it 'The Nintenmdo Wii' Not 'Nintendo's Wii' and also, 'Wanna play Wii' not 'wanna go play with my wii/nintendos wii'.

Talking to Dabookerman about this, and i was telling him how i think that the name is an abbreviation. Nintendo Wii maybe means What Is It? It's a name with which you can speculate a lot with. :)

yeah i said that in an earlier post too. I reckon its something to do with Wireless something....

no she means "as you pronounce it" as in WE, US.

Whole Worldwide Inclusion would abbreviate to wwi wouldnt it??

its getting a lot of free publictity from alot of high profile media sites which no one can argue. still very excited for the revo..wii, E3 can not come soon enough, name will take some time getting use to though.

ps. the people over at gaf (neogaf.com) can not get a hold of themselves. very funny threads over there

I think nintendo will change the name back to rev for the north american and european realease.

I think nintendo will change the name back to rev for the north american and european realease.

Nope, not a chance. IGN talked to Perrin Kaplan of NOA, and she said they won't change the final name. You'll just have to get used to it. :)

Besides, it would just be plain confusing for some people if the console was given different names in different countries. The gaming community is a global one, so a single brand/identity is best.