NEurope
Nick

What The Hell?? Nintendo Wii!!??

For those people saying that the US won't have this "wee" problem, check out the IGN Roundtable I posted, the very first comment says it.

As to marketing, plain and simple, the word has negative connotations in English speaking countries; any marketer worth his/her salt will tell you that you do not start off a product launch with any kind of negative image, if you can avoid it, because your initial marketing budget will be spent trying to overcome that negative image, rather than promoting the product. The sentiment behind the name is admirable, the execution is flawed.

If this was the name for the online service, I'd have probably said, "OK." It comes across as a derivative of WiFi, in fact I misread it as that when I first came across the announcement on another site, the thread was simply titled 'Nintendo wii'. Calling a service "We" makes sense, when it brings people together, calling a piece of hardware "wee" is just begging for it to be ridiculed.

Wie in dutch means who, so for us it sounds like, Nintendo Who?

This is kinda bullcrap, a lot of tought went into this name my a**.

It doesn't even reflect anything about the console. And they had the best chance to this with their revo.

Name change please

This is worrying. I can understand the logic in the name wii, yes wii sounds like we, which means people together, but that is just in English speaking nations. In loads of other languages it has completely different meanings.

England- Urine, as well as the usual pronoun

Scotland & Ireland- Small

France- Yes

The Netherlands- Who

Japan (apparantly)- Good

There must be loads of other meanings of the word in other languages that I don't know of. Not to mention the fact that in America due to pronounciation many people will think it's called the why. By using an already overburdened word/sound as a name they could be doing the opposite to their all inclusive marketing plan by simply confusing a hell of a lot of people. Although saying that, perhaps Nintendo already thought about this and was one of the reasons for choosing the name, the fact it is already a sound familiar to many languages.

one advantage, on launch day I might come in in the morning and ask my boss if its ok for me to go for a wee. :)

As to marketing, plain and simple, the word has negative connotations in English speaking countries; any marketer worth his/her salt will tell you that you do not start off a product launch with any kind of negative image, if you can avoid it, because your initial marketing budget will be spent trying to overcome that negative image, rather than promoting the product.

I don't see a negative image. I see an amusing, incredulous ('did they really call it that?') and highly unusual image. All of which get people talking about it. And if you can get people talking about it, the job of the marketer is done.

Bloody hell, all I've seen since this was announced was Piss Jokes everywhere o0 Is everyone really that immature? Sure it sounds Like Wee, but if they wanted it to be that they'd Spell it Wee but they haven't, I like it, sure the Revolution was a lot better name for it but Wii is soemthing diffrent, as it's been said in here before, it's not like What Sony and Microsoft have done and just used a crappy old name and put a Number next to it, nintendo have sone soemthing that they always do, make something new, who cares about the damned name, if it plays bloody good games which it b loody will, I'm in.

Bloody hell, all I've seen since this was announced was Piss Jokes everywhere o0 Is everyone really that immature? Sure it sounds Like Wee, but if they wanted it to be that they'd Spell it Wee but they haven't, I like it, sure the Revolution was a lot better name for it but Wii is soemthing diffrent, as it's been said in here before, it's not like What Sony and Microsoft have done and just used a crappy old name and put a Number next to it, nintendo have sone soemthing that they always do, make something new, who cares about the damned name, if it plays bloody good games which it b loody will, I'm in.

Here here!!! Well said:D

I say to everyone out there who cares if you don't like the name Nintendo Wii or if it has HD or not so what - All that really matters is how the games feel & play & best of all how fun they are thats it who cares what it's called just be happy that Nintendo does & will always make the best & fun games to Around :)

I say to everyone out there who cares if you don't like the name Nintendo Wii or if it has HD or not so what - All that really matters is how the games feel & play & best of all how fun they are thats it who cares what it's called just be happy that Nintendo does & will always make the best & fun games to Around :)

Here here! theres 2 posts that have made more sense than anything else written anywhere about the Wii yet.

Roll on November!!!:laughing:

As to marketing, plain and simple, the word has negative connotations in English speaking countries; any marketer worth his/her salt will tell you that you do not start off a product launch with any kind of negative image, if you can avoid it, because your initial marketing budget will be spent trying to overcome that negative image, rather than promoting the product. The sentiment behind the name is admirable, the execution is flawed.

If this was the name for the online service, I'd have probably said, "OK." It comes across as a derivative of WiFi, in fact I misread it as that when I first came across the announcement on another site, the thread was simply titled 'Nintendo wii'. Calling a service "We" makes sense, when it brings people together, calling a piece of hardware "wee" is just begging for it to be ridiculed.

I agree with the marketing thing... completely.

The reasoning does make sense.

And... the branding is gender, locality, and country of origin non-specific.

they are still doing a lot right...

actually....

i think i like it!

Yep, good posts. :) I would like to point out that we have approximately five months until the Wii is unleashed!

This is worrying. I can understand the logic in the name wii, yes wii sounds like we, which means people together, but that is just in English speaking nations. In loads of other languages it has completely different meanings.

England- Urine, as well as the usual pronoun

Scotland & Ireland- Small

France- Yes

The Netherlands- Who

Japan (apparantly)- Good

There must be loads of other meanings of the word in other languages that I don't know of. Not to mention the fact that in America due to pronounciation many people will think it's called the why. By using an already overburdened word/sound as a name they could be doing the opposite to their all inclusive marketing plan by simply confusing a hell of a lot of people. Although saying that, perhaps Nintendo already thought about this and was one of the reasons for choosing the name, the fact it is already a sound familiar to many languages.

"Yes, we who small good urine?" :wtf:

Nintendo Wii......................i swear to god its growing on me again........

Nintendo Wii......................i swear to god its growing on me again........

One thing, apparently it's not being called the "Nintendo Wii", just the "Wii".

Just Wii. That's the way it's gonna be. And it's an excelente market strategy from Nintendo.

Funny... And very japanese at all.

Nintendo wanted create something, which sounds simple & characteristic. So they did.

Yeah the free publicity is certainly working. I supose releasing the name a week before E3 is actually a great idea rather then having all the talk about the consoles name drown out all the software they show on the night. By the time E3 comes chances are the name won't be so out of place and we can just talk about the games.

Can't wait to see what Donkey Kong Wii looks like.

One thing, apparently it's not being called the "Nintendo Wii", just the "Wii".

Hmmmmm..........not even NWii?? god i hate to think of what the $ony and M$ fanboys are saying if its just gonna be called Wii!!

ah Wii'll get over it!!

As has already been said Wii must stand for something. E3 isnt that far away, so just wait and see. Nintendo will reveal something mindblowing.....im sure!:yay:

Wii - Wireless I_______ I________

Any ideas??

If that was another piss joke they're reeeeeeaaaallly getting old now. Quit it people.