NEurope
Nick

What The Hell?? Nintendo Wii!!??

They need to change, not be like they are anymore.

I agree. But why do they have to call it 'Wii' to do it, and not something, you know, not completely mental? A stupid name won't fresh up the market.

but atleast they don't sound like a slang term for Urine when you say it outloud.

OH MY GOD!!!

Queen release a song called 'We Will Rock You' and it is one of their most successful songs. I can't believe it did so well, especially as the first word sounds exactly like 'wee'.

australia with it´s 5million people...lol...nintendo doesn´t care!

U.K. where nobody even likes bign....nintendo doesn´t care!

Rest of the world: Wii as a picture is real style...gonna get big...nintendo cares!

they could chanhe the sound of it to 'why' for over here... but really... WHY...is all i can think.

They spend so long do so well and then slap themselves around the face.

'our revolution is wee'

Nintendo are more their own worst enemy than sega ever were if this is true.

Yes but when said, You know it means "We" as in everyone will rock you. But with nintendo Wii it just sounds shit full stop weather it means piss or not.

I agree. But why do they have to call it 'Wii' to do it, and not something, you know, not completely mental? A stupid name won't fresh up the market.

I agree with you, but i believe Nintendo have to get away from themselves if you know what i mean? Do something they have never done before, call a console something totally un-Nintendo, that people take a second-look. Unlike looking at the Nintendo section, thinking to themselves it's too kiddy (which is never was, but people drummed it into theirs heads) and walk away.

People who don't go into game shops normally might enter one as well. Look around, say to themselves 'Oh i heard of a Playstation' looks to the left a little more and see's 'Wii'. 'What the hell is that?' they say, they 'need' to look, otherwise they will be wondering all day. Go to pick up a box, find out you control the games by a small remote and movement and think to themselves this seems fun and simple enough for anyone to play. See the price tag of £189.99 and walk to look at the vast selection of fresh and original games. Something for everyone, new games like 'Sadness' and cool games like 'Red Steel' and of course the new ways to play Metroid and Mario, old favs! The actual selection is pretty big and the games prices range from the oh so cheap £19.99 to the normal £39.99.

It's a totally different Nintendo. Like the name suggests. Give it 'alot' of time DCK and you may change your mind, however you are allowed a opinion and yours is that you don't like it as yet, thats fine. :awesome:

Queen release a song called 'We Will Rock You' and it is one of their most successful songs. I can't believe it did so well, especially as the first word sounds exactly like 'wee'.

Are you purposefully missing the point? 'We' is a pronoun. It's not grammatically correct to say 'the we' or 'I like we'. 'Wee' is a noun. It's grammatically correct to say 'the wee' and 'I like wee', even if you wouldn't necessarily say them in everyday conversatin.

The fact that Wii is also a noun means that it is natural to compare it to 'wee' rather than 'we'. If I said to someone this time yesterday, 'I like Wii', they would assume I was saying 'I like wee', not 'I like we'.

Are you purposefully missing the point? 'We' is a pronoun. It's not grammatically correct to say 'the we' or 'I like we'. 'Wee' is a noun. It's grammatically correct to say 'the wee' and 'I like wee', even if you wouldn't necessarily say them in everyday conversatin.

The fact that Wii is also a noun means that it is natural to compare it to 'wee' rather than 'we'. If I said to someone this time yesterday, 'I like Wii', they would assume I was saying 'I like wee', not 'I like we'.

I think that is the problem. They'll need to have it as a non named console.

gamecube will rock you

we will rock you

both work so wii works as "wii will rock you"

I keep on thinking of a comment made a long time back that has stuck in my head, that what Nintendo had done went a step further, it was like they had created another console.. I'm just wondering how that works - if the revolution links to another console in a way to create an entity "wii" so "wii refers to the revolution and whatever this almost spearate console is? kinda marrying the two = wii, separately they have different names?

seems a bit too out there a concept though, but unless "wii" is a pronoun and not a noun it seems a bit wrong.

just rambling trying to justify here though. I'm expecting a dissapointment at E3, but maybe they did this to smother the hype flames?

I think that is the problem. They'll need to have it as a non named console.

gamecube will rock you

we will rock you

both work so wii works as "wii will rock you"

I keep on thinking of a comment made a long time back that has stuck in my head, that what Nintendo had done went a step further, it was like they had created another console.. I'm just wondering how that works - if the revolution links to another console in a way to create an entity "wii" so "wii refers to the revolution and whatever this almost spearate console is? kinda marrying the two = wii, separately they have different names?

seems a bit too out there a concept though, but unless "wii" is a pronoun and not a noun it seems a bit wrong.

just rambling trying to justify here though. I'm expecting a dissapointment at E3, but maybe they did this to smother the hype flames?

Good point. It must mean something more then just the marketing word 'we'.

It must be linked with what the console can do?

I ain't sure....

Im in my happy place and im still not liking that name.(Trust me, i should, i have coco pops straws!)

Does Wii actually mean something in Japanese? Oh, and good post Owen. :) i think people will pick Wii over PS3 and Xbox because they can afford it.

The name is crazy, but how about this for an advert? Please excuse the terrible Paint job, I didn't have much time. The What Is It? slogan is from an idea I saw on GAF or Gamesradar. It could be very effective at drumming up public interest, so long as people see the advert and see "Wii" rather than hearing "wee" from word of mouth the perception of the console could be pretty good.

P.s. I had to get "Revolution" in there somewhere: peace:

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2176/wii3cs.png

i just dont know.......left this thread yeaterday at bout half 8 and it was 13pages long after only 1 1/2 hours...........man what the HELL are nintendo playing at.

People are saying that they will rename it for the english speaking territories, but why not just call the revolution. Jesus.....they have seriously blown the Industry to bits in the last 16 hours!!! there hasnt been this much talk about a nintendo console since Goldeneye on 64!!!!!

So help me god, if the catchphrase for this system is

Nintendo Wii

U'r In

.....I will never buy another Nintendo product as long as I live.

My thoughts: xanga.com/Kryss864

Ah just remembered, most people portray the Wii as wee, but wouldnt a few (including the scottish) portray it as little?

From a marketing standpoint it is a genius name.

You have to admit, if it was called Gamecube2 or SuperSpecialMagicSystem, there's no way this thread would be as long or as passionate as it is.

All of you that hate the name are missing the bigger picture. Companies want their products to have memorable names, not necessarily cool names. The more memorable it is, the more people will talk about it. The more they talk about it, the more accepted it becomes. The more accepted it becomes, the more cool it sounds.

Wii sounds crazy at first, but it will become cool given time. I'm absolutely certain of it.

Wie in dutch means who, so for us it sounds like, Nintendo Who?

This is kinda bullcrap, a lot of tought went into this name my a**.

It doesn't even reflect anything about the console. And they had the best chance to this with their revo.

Name change please

check out NOA's interview on IGN......there wont be a name change. Like it or lump it is the mantra they seem to be going with. It sure is unique anyways! and theyve got the whole world talking aboout them.

Thats marketing for you!!

From experience games like nintendogs are like virtual pets. They get boring fast.

From a marketing standpoint it is a genius name.

You have to admit, if it was called Gamecube2 or SuperSpecialMagicSystem, there's no way this thread would be as long or as passionate as it is.

All of you that hate the name are missing the bigger picture. Companies want their products to have memorable names, not necessarily cool names. The more memorable it is, the more people will talk about it. The more they talk about it, the more accepted it becomes. The more accepted it becomes, the more cool it sounds.

Wii sounds crazy at first, but it will become cool given time. I'm absolutely certain of it.

me too actually. I think people will be more keen to include wii in discussions, if only to prove their "wit" by putting in the obligatory pun.

non gamers won't be anywhere near as passionate, hardcore gamers generally have already made their minds up, the only thing that will sway them will be games.

wii will have the price factor which probably is neutral, as some will blindly buy the most expensive assuming its best, some middle cost as they'll think its best value for money (happy medium) and some will go for the cheapest, as they see the saved £'s.

it now has the weird name, which will probably do it as much (if not more) good than harm

and it will have its games. not alot has changed,

I don't think I'd ever get tired of playing with Nintendogs Wii etc.

Sorry.

On another note, I heard them talking about the Nintendo Wii on the Radio this morning...talking about the name sounding like wee of course...but this is the first time I've heard anyone talking about anything Nintendo on the radio for years.

I don't think I'd ever get tired of playing with Nintendogs Wii etc.

Sorry.

Well I suppose if they added more features besides washing a dog etc. But I'm sure you'll get bored eventually. People do it in real life all the time.

Mom: Max walk the dog!

Max: Okay

Two weeks later

Mom: Max walk the dog!

Max: Tell the dog to walk itself.