NEurope
Stocka

Xbox 360 Console Discussion

Fable III, that Crytek Kingdoms game we know nothing about, most likely another Forza and... err... yeah.

Hopefully they have a good chunk of stuff that simply hasn't been announced, but all of their first-party efforts seem to going into Kinect; not a terrible thing in itself, but none of it looks all that interesting outside the party environment.

It's not like there won't be anything to play of course, there's loads of great looking multi-platform games coming out.

Oh and is that new MGS a 360 exclusive?

Tbh though the days of exclusives are basically totally over. It's the complete opposite of the Sega-Nintendo days.

So it would appear I ballsed up my licence transfers. I swapped it on the site, and it queued 10 things to download. I automatically assumed that was it, then I transferred my data from my old HDD to the new one.

Go to play Rock Band and half my DLC didn't work.. I guess I have to redownload them if I want to play them whilst disconnected from Xbox Live.

Yeah, I'm trying to think what exclusives I'm actually interested in and could make the difference for me...

PS3 has: Killzone 3, inFAMOUS 2, Resistance 3, The Last Guardian, Tokyo Jungle, LBP 2

and titles in the back cataogue such as Heavy Rain, Uncharted, GoW.

On 360 I've played both Gears, Halo doesn't interest me... and there's not much on the horizon.

But then I'm not sure I'd be all that fussed missing out on the PS3 exclusives... other than maybe Uncharted 2, The Last Guardian and Tokyo Jungle may have potential.

Xbox Live Gold still £35?

Oh and is that new MGS a 360 exclusive?

Tbh though the days of exclusives are basically totally over. It's the complete opposite of the Sega-Nintendo days.

Nope, it's also coming to PS3 and possibly/maybe PC.

Also I beg to differ about the importance of exclusives. If they didn't matter I wouldn't own both HD consoles.

Xbox Live Gold still £35?

Around about that, at least for now. Depends where you buy the code.

Argh... when ever I'm close to settling on a 360, I always think of the PS3's blu-ray and free internet!

Anyone know of any 'cheap' 360 (ideally slim) deals off the top of their head?

I think LIVE costs £30 (i think).

Thing is most of these big budget games go down in price ridiculously fast. In the last year (since my xbox died) I've missed out on a tonne of games but most have ended up in the 2 for £20 section in GS and i'll probably jump on them. The only games I plan to buy at launch for the rest of this year are F1 2010 and Castlevania. Wanna try out Limbo in XBLA too actually, does anyone know how much that costs?

Also I saw Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell in the 2 for £20 section in Gamestation (both preowned obv), can anyone recommend me 2 of those 3 games? I've been keen to check them out but probs will only invest in 2...

Edit: And Aimless, exclusives are still important yes (infact Heavy Rain, LBP and Uncharted 2 make me want a PS3) but there's less focus on them nowadays. I can't justify spending close to £300 for a few games when a lot of the big games are multiformat.

And Retro I'd suggest popping into Gamestation and seeing their offers on consoles, including the preowned sections. Depending on when I get my 360 back from repairs you could probably buy it off me for £60 or so.

Edited by Goron_3

Argh... when ever I'm close to settling on a 360, I always think of the PS3's blu-ray and free internet!

If you're also in the market for a Blu-ray player then buy a PS3. You seem to have more interest in its exclusives anyway, so unless there's some other reason you want a 360 — i.e. you want to play online with some particular friends — it's the obvious choice.

Well, actually you should buy both machines, but one step at a time.

Nah I suppose I'm not really in the market for a blu-ray player, it's just a nice option to have. I could do without it.

The 360 is that bit cheaper (although not particularly when you add on LIVE)...and it's pad is better.

I might look around for some 360 slim deals and see what's out there.

EDIT: What size HD do you realistically need?

Edited by Retro_Link

Depends what you want to put on the HDD, but I'd say anything below 60GB can quickly get unmanageable; XBLA games regularly weigh in at 1GB+ these days, and then there's DLC, installed games, plus any media you might want on there. No one wants to be deleting and re-downloading things all the time.

Personally if I was buying a 360 now I'd go for one of the redesigned ones. In theory it stands a much smaller chance of the hardware failing¹, plus all reports label them as markedly quieter and they come with Wi-FI and a decent amount of HDD space as standard — don't go near the models with only 4GB of built-in storage, if you intend to play more than Kinect games it won't be anywhere near enough and Microsoft will charge you your entire family's appendages for a separate hard drive.

Buying a pre-owned 360 is a bad idea if you ask me; who knows how close it could be to death, or whether the previous owner tried to 'fix' it or got it banned from Live. Plus the pads will be all worn and manky!

¹They haven't been around long so it's feasible we could see a rash of hardware failures a year from now, but you'd think stability would be one of Microsoft's primary concerns with the new unit given the billions of dollars the RROD fiasco ended up costing them.

It depends how much you're going to use it, but definitely try to get a 60 or higher, I currently have a 60gb but I don't play my xbox as regularly as everyone else.

Gamestation do warranties on pre-owned xboxes, at the least they do a year when I asked them about it the other christmas.

I would say regardless of the price to buy an xbox, but then I am biased, xbox although you have to pay is really worth the deal.

But after my dealings with xbl do not, ever ever ever buy month-by-month subscription, always go for cards, such a royal pain to get it cancelled these days.

Just to say, I've had my 120gb HDD for around a year and a half and I have about 95gb left. I could easily prune away a lot of demos, but I don't install any games to the HDD. At this rate I really don't think I'll ever fill it up.

But after my dealings with xbl do not, ever ever ever buy month-by-month subscription, always go for cards, such a royal pain to get it cancelled these days.

I think i worked it out to be twice as much cost per year than per card for a years membership.

Just to say, I've had my 120gb HDD for around a year and a half and I have about 95gb left. I could easily prune away a lot of demos, but I don't install any games to the HDD. At this rate I really don't think I'll ever fill it up.

You ought to do some installations, speeds up loading times for lots of games and extends the life of your disk drive.

I suppose so. Bioshock's loading screens were fairly lengthy. Now that I live in an attic I might install MW2 if it reduces disc noise.

I'm an a vague hurry to purchase Castle Crashers in time for an epic gaming sesh tomorrow. Needed some extra points and - for some reason - I always forget to bookmark whatever place I'd used last time that didn't demand I used paypal or google checkout. I've found some american site which does 2100 for $30 (yeah, not a great price, I know)... But after I placed my order I realised that they are eevil bastards. They have said that I have to wait at my phone for 30 mins for an account verification call.

So I've got another 10 mins to sit here and panic about them having my card details. I might cry a little, too.

So I've got another 10 mins to sit here and panic about them having my card details. I might cry a little, too.

Go onto one of them instant points card sites, they do the points within 5 minutes. No verification or anything.

Yeah, previously I've had emails send them extra pronto.

Just got off the phone to a lazy indian girl. Don't know if it was my paranoia but I swear I heard the click of a voice recorder before and after I said my name. I think they're planning to hack into my Future Safe. Now all they need is one of my retinas! Noooo!

Mild moment of panic when I entered teh code and it was all "lol noob that was SO not a valid code. Fs." I realised I was putting Ts instead of 7s!

NOW I HAVE MAD POINTZ!

http://edfia.com/

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=15795

The Earth Defense Force (And Those *FUCKING* Spiders) Are Back?

Orange Lounge Radio podcast co-host, Loki, has apparently uncovered the long-awaited sequel to Earth Defense Force 2017. According to his information, 'Earth Defense Force 2017: Insect Armageddon' for the Xbox 360 is being released sometime in February 2011 by D3 Publisher. Loki--who works for a game distributor and has a strong track-record on things such as unannounced games--tweeted the following.

Quote:

Originally Posted by @LOKIOLR on Twitter

Just saw this on my release list from D3: EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 2017 INSECT ARMAGEDDON!!! coming February on XBOX 360. HOLY FUCKING AWESOME!!!

As someone who has invested over 80 hours into the original EDF2017, I would gladly welcome a sequel with open arms. EDF2017 had this Godzilla movie-like cheesy-goodness about it. It was far from being a technical masterpiece, yet it delivered gameplay that was just plain fun and hard to put down. The harder the difficulty level you played at, the more powerful weapons you found. Stretch this concept over about 50 missions and 5 difficulties and you have some serious replay value. I'm determined to GS:1000/1000 the original Earth Defense Force 2017 one of these days. It's a true classic that is easily one of my favorite Xbox 360 games ever.

Probably the best news to come from PAX.

EDF 2017 is easily one of my favourite co-op game.

Shorty and Nami played that a lot - a game I'd gladly pick up if I had a frequent partner to play with!

Well if you have the money, you can probably buy one from one of them shady countries.

Now I am going to go save a puppy or something for typing that.

I think i worked it out to be twice as much cost per year than per card for a years membership.

It is very expensive, it's now 5.99 rather than 4.99, I used to pay it because playing xbl was iffy for me, one month I'd play a lot, often months I'd not play at all and it to me seemed a waste of 25quid if I never touched it for 6months.

But given now they don't let us use the automatic renewal feature I won't be touching it.

I have a feeling a new EDF game could suck.

Cos the first one sucks, but in a good way. It's so simple that everything it's missing doesn't matter.

Try and modernise it, bring in cover and reloading and stuff, you could just totally fuck it up.