NEurope
Stocka

Xbox 360 Console Discussion

All this talk of rrod...

My personal record: 3 times on launch xbox, 1 time on my elite.

Anyway..reason for posting was I thought I'd let you guys know that I downloaded the XBL dashboard preview update today. =]

All this talk of rrod...

My personal record: 3 times on launch xbox, 1 time on my elite.

Anyway..reason for posting was I thought I'd let you guys know that I downloaded the XBL dashboard preview update today. =]

1. Unlucky, bit shit that amount of times!

2. Whats the new dashboard like?

The new dashboard is exactly what they said it would be. It's certainly better than the old one — looking up Achievements whilst in-game is way easier, download links appear much faster, etcetera — but it's more a case of tuning what's there rather than making new additions. Well, other than the Avatar Marketplace which is pretty good if you're into that sort of thing.

The new dashboard is exactly what they said it would be. It's certainly better than the old one — looking up Achievements whilst in-game is way easier, download links appear much faster, etcetera — but it's more a case of tuning what's there rather than making new additions. Well, other than the Avatar Marketplace which is pretty good if you're into that sort of thing.

Cool, always nice to here of improvements! :)

In other news occording to the device repair centre on xbox.com, my console is now at the repair centre.

The complete overhaul of avatars and all the added things is welcomed, but not completely necessary. As in, I'm excited for the game rewards, but not to excited about buying things for my avatar.

I think the adding of a number on your gamercard to show how many years you've been a member is quite a nice addition to, along with the "mysterious message" hinting that rewards will come for long time members.

The rating system for dlc and games..cool, but unnecessary imo.

The reorganization of the menues is actually quite nice. Very nicely put together, nothing really that makes you think "Why the hell did they put this here?"

And one last little thing that I noticed and is a really cool thing is an overall achievement page. They use to have this before NXE, but once NXE came this page disappeared. However, now its back and just as nice. It shows your overall gamerscore and overall achievements along with the amount of games that you have "completed." The only thing I don't like about it is you can only view the latest 12 games that you have completed..I don't see where you can view the rest of them.

Well overall I believe it is quite a nice dashboard update. :)

This new dashboard update has improved the vibrancy of the image on my VGA monitor, it's a nice surprise.

I like the new 5 star rating system, although it's a bit stupid letting people rate games which aren't even out yet. 30 odd people have already given Modern Warfare 2 and Halo ODST 5 star ratings.

It's sounds a bit stupid that you can rate games that you haven't played.

I like the new 5 star rating system, although it's a bit stupid letting people rate games which aren't even out yet. 30 odd people have already given Modern Warfare 2 and Halo ODST 5 star ratings.

Yeah, that decision has pretty much nullified the entire point in the rating system. It should require you to have played a game to rate it, or at least sampled the demo.

I had some left over points so decided to buy my virtual self a Halo shirt. I don't believe it will display for anyone without the preview firmware installed, but it shows up on the Xbox website:

It cost 80MS, which is roughly 70p. Personally I think such things should be at least half that, but I can pretty much guarantee Microsoft are going to make a killing at the current pricing so it won't go down.

I can see it. It's a bit of a dull t-shirt tbh. No offence.

I can see it. It's a bit of a dull t-shirt tbh. No offence.

I'm a dull person.

I preferred the relative subtlety of the Legendary motif compared to all the other designs. I want to at least be able to pretend I'm not paying to wear an advert.

Incidentally you can select the colour of the power button shirt. It's the only item I could see which allows you to do this — it has a little swatch icon in the corner when browsing your wardrobe — but hopefully they'll expand that functionality to more items by the time things go public.

Rage runs faster on Xbox 360:

The Xbox 360 and PC versions of id's Rage sport higher framerates than the PlayStation 3 version, the latest issue of Edge magazine reveals.

In a ten-page reveal in its latest issue, Edge writes that the Xbox 360 version of Rage - which uses id's new Tech 5 engine - matches the 60fps framerate of the PC version, while PS3 runs at just "20-30fps".

It's not mentioned whether the PS3 framerate will be addressed by the game's eventual release.

"The PS3 lags a little bit behind in terms of getting the performance out of it," John Carmack told Edge. "The rasteriser is just a little bit slower - no two ways about that.

"The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360. The CPU is about the same, but the 360 makes it easier to split things off, and that's what a lot of the work has been, splitting it all into jobs on the PS3," he said.

The PS3 edition was thought to be the most technically capable of the console pair, thanks to id being able to squeeze the gigantic shooter onto a single-player Blu-ray disc, compared to Xbox 360's four DVDs.

The developer also confirmed that a Mac version of Rage is still in development.

Odd viral video for Wet featuring Eliza Dushku (kinda...)

Is the new dashboard another stupid region blocked thing?

Is the new dashboard another stupid region blocked thing?

I don't think so. It's just for selected people (out of the ones that signed up for the preview program) until the 11th. Coincidentally, my Xbox is updating right now.

Edit: I really want a Rubber Chicken with a Pulley in the Middle, but I can't justify spending 160 points on it when I have 1600. Perhaps if I ever have leftover points.

Edited by Cube

I now have the Tonic and Historian achievements on Bioshock. All thats left for maxed out is Hard mode with no Vita Chambers, and I've got my first maxed out retail game.

My gamescore is actually pretty pathetic, I've had it since christmas and I'm shamed to admit its only 2k, I really am playing it more now, but honestly I keep playing games that have utterly wank achievements.

It's probably for the best. Otherwise you might end up like me, playing through World at War on Veteran for the extra Achievements despite it being a travesty of game design. Although in my case it isn't so much the points as just a desire to collect pointless things; I was a Pog person back in school.

Oh, can you get Live at your new digs?

I can, except my cable is on one side of my room and my xbox because of the tv cable is on the other, I can however just shift it when I want to play live, its effort, but I'm not going to play live very often.

I was thinking more in terms of updates/Arcade titles, really, as there's a lot of good stuff which you presumably didn't have access to before.

Speaking of updates, I was prompted to install a new revision of the preview Dashboard yesterday. From talking to other people it seems to have added notifications — like the Achievement pop up — for when you unlock gamer pictures, themes and, presumably, Avatar Awards.

My gamescore is actually pretty pathetic, I've had it since christmas and I'm shamed to admit its only 2k, I really am playing it more now, but honestly I keep playing games that have utterly wank achievements.

Lol i don't really bother with Achievements too.....its always nice when i unlick them but can't be fucked to invest so much time into them....i got better things to do! lol

The new dashboard update half's the install memory.

Burnout Paradise 3.4GB > 2.8GB

Rock Band 2: 6.3GB > 4.6GB

Resident Evil 5 6.8GB > 6.7GB

Gears of War 6.5GB > 6.3GB

Gears of War 2 6.7GB > 6.3GB

GTA 4 6.8GB > 6.5GB

Fable 2 6.8GB > 6.6GB

Halo Wars 6.2GB > 5.7GB

Soul Calibur 4 5.9GB > 4.3GB

Naruto Rise of A Ninja 5.3GB > 4.4GB

Those numbers are not half...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that, thought I was going crazy.

Shorten than half then.

More like a 1/4 than a half 1/2 Dante, hehe.

Baboo I wouldn't bother but just like world of warcraft I like the achievements it gives you something fun to do outside of the initial game without realling giving anything back.

Might buy l4d this week and get devil may cry 4 off jayseven hmmf!