NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

It just fit with BBC easily.

If it was any other channel and not just Doctor Who I'd agree. But ratings aren't as important to the BBC, they aren't dependent on them for their income unlike channels that advertize, and his other shows, such as Torchwood, can't possibly have done well enough to justify another series, but they're still making it. I really do think it's a case of 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' going on with this.

Ratings dont dictate revenue as much as the other channels, granted, but it could still be twisted to justify the license fee. "Our shows are watched by x million thus its fine that we charge about £130 per year for it!"

Speaking of, Rokhed you may like this; BBC to "dumb down" and make more shows like Doctor Who

Not true, on Torchwoods timeslot it was pulling in sometimes up to six million viewers.

Which timeslot would that be, the once a week it was shown on BBC2, or one of the other 5 times it was shown every week on BBC3?

Or maybe the 6 million is for all 6 showings combined?

I can believe that it got decent viewing figures early on in its run, but I would imagine the viewing figures dropped off quite a bit once everybody realized it wasn't very good, and that there wasn't going to be lesbian sex scenes every episode.

Ratings dont dictate revenue as much as the other channels, granted, but it could still be twisted to justify the license fee. "Our shows are watched by x million thus its fine that we charge about £130 per year for it!"

Justify the licence fee to who, the man on the street? I daresay they probably feel the same way I do about the licence fee, I don't care how many people watch what shows, I just want shows that I enjoy, and to be quite frank the BBC just isn't providing anywhere near enough for me to be paying a licence fee. If I wasn't a cable customer, and therefore on record as recieving TV, then I wouldn't be paying for a TV licence.

Speaking of, Rokhed you may like this; BBC to "dumb down" and make more shows like Doctor Who

Great, as if the standard of british TV wasn't bad enough.

Justify the licence fee to who, the man on the street? I daresay they probably feel the same way I do about the licence fee, I don't care how many people watch what shows, I just want shows that I enjoy, and to be quite frank the BBC just isn't providing anywhere near enough for me to be paying a licence fee. If I wasn't a cable customer, and therefore on record as recieving TV, then I wouldn't be paying for a TV licence.

Just to justify it. BBC is being scruitinised for its licence fee. I doubt many people would really chose to pay it. I certainly wouldn't if I had to chose (as I live with my parents, I don't have to chose). Its their way of saying "moan all you like about the licence fee, but you're still watching our stuff"

Just to justify it. BBC is being scruitinised for its licence fee. I doubt many people would really chose to pay it. I certainly wouldn't if I had to chose (as I live with my parents, I don't have to chose). Its their way of saying "moan all you like about the licence fee, but you're still watching our stuff"

That's just the thing though, doesn't matter if you watch the BBC or not, you still have to pay for it. I personally only watch a couple of shows on the BBC, some people watch more, some less, some none, but all have to pay the same amount, it's just not a fair system. The licence fee should be scrapped, and I'm surprized it hasn't been yet really, the BBC should either take on advertizing or go as pay TV, it's just stupid that people should have to pay for something they don't use.

That's just the thing though, doesn't matter if you watch the BBC or not, you still have to pay for it. I personally only watch a couple of shows on the BBC, some people watch more, some less, some none, but all have to pay the same amount, it's just not a fair system. The licence fee should be scrapped, and I'm surprized it hasn't been yet really, the BBC should either take on advertizing or go as pay TV, it's just stupid that people should have to pay for something they don't use.

Well the licence fee is in effect til 2012 isn't it? Around then, next decade anyway.

The BBC considers itself a nation institution, it belives it is an important part of everyone's life because it used to be, back during WW2 when they were the only radio and television broadcasters and they seem stubbornly stuck with that idea.

I agree, the whole idea now is dated.

To people like Rokhed who don't seem to like the new series': what would your idea of a great storyline for Doctor Who be if it were to be written by a decent writer (or your choice)?

To people like Rokhed who don't seem to like the new series': what would your idea of a great storyline for Doctor Who be if it were to be written by a decent writer (or your choice)?

Search back through the thread, I think its been asked and answered before.

Search back through the thread, I think its been asked and answered before.

I think we've only heard why he doesn't like the series.

Fifteen minutes to go people! The Shakesperae Code tonight....hmmm I wonder where the idea of that title came from???

Im not really a fan of the far away kind of ideas. I know many people hate them but I prefer more contemporary Earth tales because I find them more relatable. If I didn't have time to kill I wouldn't have this episode on in the background like I do now.

Speaking of, I think it would have been better if Martha was booing Shakespeare. I mean come on, by the time you finish education isn't everyone bored of Shakespeare?

Thought the episode was okish but definately one of their weaker ones for me, ive never been a big fan of the past episodes of Doctor Who.

How formulaic, meet historical character, discover alien threat masquerading as the supernatural, cheerily muddle through for half an hour until amazingly convenient solution comes up at the last minute, and the historical character ends up being influenced by the adventure. How many times has RTD done that one now?

3 I think. 4 if you count The Fireplace episode with the killer robots, but I don't think they were masquerading as anything supernatural.

That was an alright episode. I wanna see Martha start to challenge the Doc a bit more. She's an MD student, but at the moment she seems a tad too content just to follow him around like Rose did. I feel like I want her to start challenging what she sees or what the doctor does a bit, give her character a bit of power to wield.

Thought tonights episode was pretty good!

Didn't think I would enjoy it much (haven't been sure about the episodes set in the past before), but I did!

Great episode. Loved the references, entertaining.

Martha's brains make her seem different enough to Rose.

3 I think. 4 if you count The Fireplace episode with the killer robots, but I don't think they were masquerading as anything supernatural.

All three times it's been in the second or third episode of the series too, there's definite patterns, a couple more episodes down the line there's the re introduction of an old villain, there's always visits to the companions family, they always visit mid twentieth century earth, there's always the token space one, either space ship or station, and the final two parts they always bring the big guns out, because let's face it RTD hasn't (and probably never will) come up with a bad guy good enough to carry a series finale. It's all very by the numbers.

I wanna see Martha start to challenge the Doc a bit more. She's an MD student, but at the moment she seems a tad too content just to follow him around like Rose did. I feel like I want her to start challenging what she sees or what the doctor does a bit, give her character a bit of power to wield.

Don't think it's going to happen, she's just going to be a black version of Rose, all the signs are there.

God, tonight's episode was utter wank. Easily the worst episode yet. Let's hope the rest of the series isn't like this.

I mean come on, by the time you finish education isn't everyone bored of Shakespeare?

Not me, I went to see The Tempest at the theatre in Newcastle a while ago. It was awesome.

How many times has RTD done that one now?

RTD didn't write this one, Gather Roberts did. He hasn't written any episodes before this one.

RTD didn't write this one, Gather Roberts did. He hasn't written any episodes before this one.

As director he's still responsible for it though.

As director he's still responsible for it though.

Not true. He's showrunner. Its different. Different title anyway, same idea.

Sorry, its pettiness in me.

Well I preffered this episode instead of when they had peter kay in as that villian that was serious crap.

Anyone think that FOX should sue BBC next week for the 'New New York' name, I do.

Anyone think that FOX should sue BBC next week for the 'New New York' name, I do.

LFMAO! Since when did FOX own the namer "New New York"?! It's more than likely that Futurama wasn't the first show/movie/book to use it, and wasn't the last.

Well I preffered this episode instead of when they had peter kay in as that villian that was serious crap.

That's Peter Kay for you, Blue Peter competitions don't help either.

But to make such a comparison is like saying 'well it was better than a piece of shit'.

That's Peter Kay for you, Blue Peter competitions don't help either.

But to make such a comparison is like saying 'well it was better than a piece of shit'.

No it wasn't Peter Kays fault really - the fault was putting him in a drama turning him into some kids vomit, and then attaching crappy plot.

And yes I liked the sakespearen code good episode.

@triforcemario: FOX own the rights to futurama. And according to wiki only Futurama has used that name before.

But 'New New York' is just a shortened version of the place in Doctor Who.