NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

Some bad news there. I hope the TV guide is wrong.

How is it bad?

Oh wait, I forgot, you love the soapiness of new who.

How is it bad?

Oh wait, I forgot, you love the soapiness of new who.

I never enjoyed classic Who, but I've never moaned about it.

I never enjoyed classic Who, but I've never moaned about it.

Nobody ever made a thread about it for you to moan in.

But seriously, how can RTD leaving make things worse, unless they give his job to one of the writers from Eastenders?

But seriously, how can RTD leaving make things worse, unless they give his job to one of the writers from Eastenders?

Or one of the Hollyoaks writers.

No offence Rokhed, you're a great member and everyones entitled to their opinion... but you constantly slate the show saying how shit it is and yet you watch it every week and return here to complain?

Seems kinda backwards, if you don't enjoy watching it... don't watch it.

No offence Rokhed, you're a great member and everyones entitled to their opinion... but you constantly slate the show saying how shit it is and yet you watch it every week and return here to complain?

Seems kinda backwards, if you don't enjoy watching it... don't watch it.

Simple explanation, I live in hope that RTD has an epiphany and realizes that he can't write scifi, looks like my hopes have been realized.

And even if they weren't, I paid for the show to be made, if I'm not going to get any real enjoyment out of it the next best thing is to laugh at how inept the people responsible are. Considering what I pay in licensing fees and what I get out of it you cannot begrudge me that.

Looks like RTD has finally had the epiphany a lot of people (myself included) have been hoping for and realized he's as good with scifi as he is with women and gone back to what he knows best.

You're not doing a very good job of convincing us that the reason you don't like him isn't because he's gay.

You're not doing a very good job of convincing us that the reason you don't like him isn't because he's gay.

I couldn't care less.

Besides Russel T Davies has wrote just 5 out of the 13 episodes this season! So i persume that people who dont rate the new dr who dont like the other script writers either, despite them being some of the best in the country, because the poor scripts is the reason they dont like dr who! :heh:

Besides Russel T Davies has wrote just 5 out of the 13 episodes this season! So i persume that people who dont rate the new dr who dont like the other script writers either, despite them being some of the best in the country, because the poor scripts is the reason they dont like dr who! :heh:

The problem is not the standards of the writers, but of the writing. It doesn't really matter how good a writer somebody is if they're not writing to their strengths. They may have some of the best writers in the country, but the best at writing what, historical drama, soap operas, cop shows, sit coms, whatever it is it sure isn't scifi, for two reasons. One, they've proven it, no matter how entertaining anyone finds new who nobody in their right mind can say it's good science fiction, and two, there is little call for science fiction writers in British television, so any writer is not going to waste their time writing scripts that'll never see the light of day, they'll write what is called for, and get good in that respective genre.

That is true ive got to admit Rokhed. The old sci fi writers are dying out too, imagine their scripts being produced today! But still i think the show benefits from it being less sci fi, well its sci fi enough for me anyway

The problem is not the standards of the writers, but of the writing. It doesn't really matter how good a writer somebody is if they're not writing to their strengths. They may have some of the best writers in the country, but the best at writing what, historical drama, soap operas, cop shows, sit coms, whatever it is it sure isn't scifi, for two reasons. One, they've proven it, no matter how entertaining anyone finds new who nobody in their right mind can say it's good science fiction, and two, there is little call for science fiction writers in British television, so any writer is not going to waste their time writing scripts that'll never see the light of day, they'll write what is called for, and get good in that respective genre.

Totally agree wit you Rokhed besides the last two seasons of the new dr.who have been more 'Wheres wally - with a tardis'

Does Life On Mars count as sci-fi? Probably not.

I can enjoy Dr. Who (Nu-Who), but I recognise that I enjoy it like I would enjoy a big bag of chocolate buttons: it's a vacuous, vacant experience that leaves me feeling a bit dirty afterwards.

I never really was into the old-skool who but I've got friends who were and I think that if I was a fan, I would really hate the new series. It's a bit like Red Dwarf series 1-6 and then the dirge that is the latter series. And torchwood was pretty wank too.

Rokhed, you're right, especially with torchwood, it feels like someone has said "what's missing in sci-fi? Shagging, lots of shagging" and then rammed it in (no pun intended) wherever they can. It feels like people with little respect for sci-fi, writing sci-fi. However, Let it Be has just come on the old music player and that'll stop anyone ranting. Riot police should be issued with it. Adios.

This episode is the first time a woman ever to write a televised Dalek story.

Dalek Caan states that "my planet was destroyed in a great war". Skaro was in fact destroyed when the Seventh Doctor used the Hand of Omega to create a supernova in Skaro's sun. (Remembrance of the Daleks).

I enjoyed that episode, it was just erm... really far-fetched. Pig people and the one-eyed hybrid? Why did they kill off the Daleks in the first place?

And why can't both parts in two-parters be filled with action like a normal episode? It seems to be tradition that the first part is filled with boring walking about and meeting people, then discovering a menace at the end, then the two parter is the action part.

I wish somebody would throw Martha's character a bone. When asked for her opinion she may as well have just shrugged her shoulders and fallen down the nearest man hole. The lassie's a medical student for petes sake.

Otherwise, pretty good stuff again. I'll wait to see how this whole dalek-man story pans out before passing judgement. I'd love to see more of the conflict between the Daleks.

I enjoyed that episode, it was just erm... really far-fetched.

We're still in the Doctor Who thread, right? :heh:

Tbh, its a welcome change. I was like "oh joy, another season with the Darleks and they're 'death' again."

This might just be a step in the right direction for once, because this season so far has been nothing but a disappointment. Hell, i haven't really enjoyed an episode since the Empty Child Zombies.

I thought that was ace. Proper old school Who.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Do neither, but find a better use of 45 minutes for yourself.

I missed the first about 15ish minutes but caught up on it mostly with Confidential (which im mostly watching for the retro NY shots).

Anyway, umm okay...Ryan Carnes' appearance is random. And the big musical number fell a bit flat, bad sound levels. I havent watched any classic Who but still found the human/Dalek hybrid a bit odd, kinda anti-Dalek ideology (if you can say Daleks have ideology)

Tbh, its a welcome change. I was like "oh joy, another season with the Darleks and they're 'death' again."

This might just be a step in the right direction for once, because this season so far has been nothing but a disappointment. Hell, i haven't really enjoyed an episode since the Empty Child Zombies.

The person who did Empty Child also did "The Girl in the Fireplace" and in the new series ep called Blink.