Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Doctor Who

KKOB

Brilliant. Absolutely loved it. The way they handled everything and reinvented the series.

The War Doctor died of old age. Recall how young he originally was when he regenerated; the Time War obviously took many, many years out of him. His last line was also a direct reference to the First Doctor, who likewise died of old age as he was "wearing a bit thin".

The last sequence with 11 narrating and all his previous incarnations looking towards Gallifrey was quite clearly said to be a dream; he hasn't found Gallifrey yet, it's what he dreams about.

So wait.....

Is meant to be a future regeneration of the Doctor that also resembles Tom Baker? Either way nice nod to the oldest surviving Doctor

I definitely think this role should/would have been given to either Ecclestone or McGann....McGann would have surely been up for it? I'd love a prequel series with him why not make some of his audio stories into one off specials?

Also as to regards to the number of doctors at the end:

The Timelords said it required X number of years to do those calculations who knows....maybe 13 was the magic number required to get the desired effect.

Also I like how toned down David Tennant was I would have liked his era much more if he had it like this more often....

So wait.....

Is meant to be a future regeneration of the Doctor that also resembles Tom Baker? Either way nice nod to the oldest surviving Doctor

He's also the actor who had the longest run portraying the Doctor, so it truly is fitting. I think it was left intentionally vague whether he was a future (or past?) incarnation or simply someone resembling an old Fourth Doctor. A friend of mine pointed out that it could be the first hint that the Doctor picks up faces of other people when regenerating, leading up to an in-universe explanation of the Twelfth Doctor looking like Caecilius, but either way I think his true identity is intended to be a mystery.

Also as to regards to the number of doctors at the end:

The Timelords said it required X number of years to do those calculations who knows....maybe 13 was the magic number required to get the desired effect.

Great point about the calculations. Also ...

This is actually an interesting point, because Moffat has come out saying that he's not changing the rule about the twelve regenerations - and he counts the Tenth Doctor's meta-crisis regeneration as well as the War Doctor, meaning the Eleventh Doctor is actually the Doctor's thirteenth and last life. This would make sense in the prospect of Trenzalore, the Doctor's grave and the fall of the Eleventh, hinting that the Twelfth Doctor marks the beginning of something new, perhaps an entirely new cycle of lives - which could be related to Gallifrey still existing. The Time Lords saw thirteen incarnations of the Doctor, which they think accounts for all of the Doctor's lives, but they don't know of the Meta-Crisis Doctor. It'll be exciting to see how it all plays out at Christmas!

Apart from the super crappy Zygon design, I quite liked the special! ^^

The design was meant to be very close to the original, I thought it was pretty good!

Original:

The_Zygons.jpg

Although I may be saying that because I'm friendly with someone from the prosthetics company that made it :p

He's also the actor who had the longest run portraying the Doctor, so it truly is fitting. I think it was left intentionally vague whether he was a future (or past?) incarnation or simply someone resembling an old Fourth Doctor. A friend of mine pointed out that it could be the first hint that the Doctor picks up faces of other people when regenerating, leading up to an in-universe explanation of the Twelfth Doctor looking like Caecilius, but either way I think his true identity is intended to be a mystery.

'At some point you'll learn to chose old faces' or something? or did I completely make that up?...

*Youtubes*

Does seem to imply he'll be able to control his regenerations?

'At some point you'll learn to chose old faces' or something? or did I completely make that up?...

*Youtubes*

Does seem to imply he'll be able to control his regenerations?

... that it's possible; Romana tried on different faces before settling on one she had seen before, and River Song also attempted to affect her new appearance during regeneration. The Corsair was likewise mentioned as always keeping a certain tattoo throughout all his (and her!) regenerations. The Doctor, however, doesn't appear able to control his appearance at will yet, otherwise he would have surely chosen to become ginger by now. :heh:

Now, regarding the Curator, the dialogue is open for interpretation:

The Doctor: "I could retire and become the Curator of this place."

The Curator: "You know, I really think you might."

The Doctor: "I never forget a face."

The Curator: "I know you don't. And in years to come you might find yourself revisiting a few - but just the old favourites, eh?"

Could be he simply means visiting people he's known in the past; it could also suggest him choosing his appearance from such people, hinting at Capaldi's previous role on the show; but the most interesting interpretation, which is most heavily implied, is of course that he might regenerate into an older Tom Baker and become the Curator in the future. The following exchange also has quite an interesting double meaning:

The Curator: "If I were you ... hah, if I were you! Oh, perhaps I was you, of course! Or perhaps ... you are me!"

The Doctor: "Hahaha, yeah!"

The Curator: "Congratulations!"

The Doctor: "Thank you very much!"

The Curator: "Or perhaps it doesn't matter either way. Who knows. Who knows!"

It has the same dual actor/character allusion that Time Crash had: The obvious interpretation is that Tom Baker was the Doctor, who Matt Smith is now, staying on the actor level, but it could also be interpreted in-universe as the Curator having been the Doctor once, lending credence to the aforementioned interpretation of the Doctor eventually regenerating into an old Tom Baker and becoming the Curator.

The last line, however, suggests to me we're never meant to know for sure who this mysterious Curator is. It's meant to remain vague.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/26/matt-smith-is-the-13th-doctor

Matt Smith is the 13th Doctor

Steven Moffat discusses show mythology and the Doctor's forthcoming death.

Following the twists and turns of The Day of the Doctor this past weekend, it seems that Doctor Who boss Steven Moffat has more surprises in store for fans of the show.

According to the showrunner, Matt Smith isn’t the 11th Doctor, as previously thought, but rather the 13th, meaning that he will soon pop his clogs.

That’s because according to show lore, The Doctor can only regenerate 12 times. John Hurt’s ‘War Doctor’ is apparently now cannon, and David Tennant used up a regeneration in the episode Journey’s End.

According to The Mirror, Smith will even utter the line “I’m dying and there’s nothing I can do about it” in the forthcoming festive episode.

But all is not lost – Peter Capaldi has already been cast as the next Doctor, though Moffat isn’t saying how that’s possible.

“The 12 regenerations limit is a central part of Doctor Who mythology,” he told The Mirror. “Science fiction is all about rules, you can’t just casually break them. So if the Doctor can never change again, what’s Peter Capaldi doing in the Christmas special?”

So there we have it.

Wasn't there all this fuss about regenerations before and it was said at the time that the Doctor had acquired loads more?

In the Russell T Davies-written episode Death of the Doctor of The Sarah Jane Adventures, the Eleventh Doctor makes a passing remark that he can regenerate 507 times, but Davies has said that it was not to be taken seriously as the regeneration limit is too entrenched to be done away with so easily. Then in the episode Let's Kill Hitler, River Song kills the Doctor and later sacrifices her remaining regenerations to revive him, which made some fans speculate he had been given extra regenerations in the process - however, this has now also been confirmed to not be the case.

I personally never thought the meta-crisis regeneration counted, seeing at it never resulted in an actual, full regeneration, and I suspected there'd be something special about the War Doctor's regeneration as well since it would otherwise throw off the numbering of the Doctors. However, while Moffat does count both of those, he leaves the numbering intact, arguing that it only serves a purpose for us as an audience and thus won't change, which I am very happy with. I am also excited for the consequences this will have for the Christmas special since the prophesised "fall of the Eleventh" had less of an impact while we thought he would simply regenerate.

In the Russell T Davies-written episode Death of the Doctor of The Sarah Jane Adventures, the Eleventh Doctor makes a passing remark that he can regenerate 507 times, but Davies has said that it was not to be taken seriously as the regeneration limit is too entrenched to be done away with so easily. Then in the episode Let's Kill Hitler, River Song kills the Doctor and later sacrifices her remaining regenerations to revive him, which made some fans speculate he had been given extra regenerations in the process - however, this has now also been confirmed to not be the case.

I personally never thought the meta-crisis regeneration counted, seeing at it never resulted in an actual, full regeneration, and I suspected there'd be something special about the War Doctor's regeneration as well since it would otherwise throw off the numbering of the Doctors. However, while Moffat does count both of those, he leaves the numbering intact, arguing that it only serves a purpose for us as an audience and thus won't change, which I am very happy with. I am also excited for the consequences this will have for the Christmas special since the prophesised "fall of the Eleventh" had less of an impact while we thought he would simply regenerate.

Hate how the meta-crisis Doctor counts as a regeneration. I have no problem with the War Doctor being tossed in (nice touch how he regenerated and for a split second you saw Eccleston's eyes) but the meta-crisis hmmmmm feel like that's just been cobbled in to make up the numbers, where as the War Doctor served a legit purpose.

Also on the note of Eccleston whilst yes they probably wanted him back and he has surely now missed the boat on this ever happening. I do feel the story was better for it. As much anguish as he over the time war, he is a little too chiper when he meets Rose so it works that he died an old man whose faith in life was restored by his future selves.

Also people saying it undoes the past however many years of the rebooted show are just outright dumb they explained that away pretty easily with the crossing time streams and people not remembering....

I actually forgot that the original number of regenerations was actually 12. Weird. Whilst we're on the subject...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2513145/Doctor-Who-regeneration-riddle-solved-Christmas-special-Matt-Smith-revealed-13th-LAST-Time-Lord.html

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a533505/doctor-who-steven-moffat-on-regeneration-limit.html

Looks like we'll know for sure after the Christmas special. :grin:

Look closely at the flame by The Doctor's hand.

"Great men are forged in fire."

Hmmmm.....

Back to the 50th, here's a quote from "The End of Time (Part 2)":

President of the Time Lords: What news of the Doctor?

The Chancellor: Disappeared, my Lord President.

The Partisan: But we know his intention. He still possesses the Moment. And he'll use it to destroy Daleks and Time Lords alike.

This should clear up what happened:

- The Dalek fleet arrives and starts attacking.

- The War Doctor arrives at the city of Arcadia, as the city falls, The War Doctor sees all the destruction and realises that there's no way to save the planet, and letting it continue will take many more lives. He decides that the Time War should continue no more.

- The War Doctor breaks into the Omega Arsenal and steals The Moment, a weapon capable of killing them all, and something that the War Council wouldn't use. The War Doctor flees so he can work out how to use it.

-The High Council hitches a desperate plan to save Gallifrey. By planting a signal inside The Master, they are able to remove Gallifrey from that location and to Earth. However, The Tenth Doctor is currently on Earth and both The Tenth Doctor (to protect Earth) and The Master (for revenge) stop them, and Gallifrey returns to its original location.

- Then 13 versions of The Doctor arrive with a crazy plan to lock Gallifrey in a pocket universe, and the plan is (seemingly) successful.

Back to the 50th, here's a quote from "The End of Time (Part 2)":

This should clear up what happened:

- The Dalek fleet arrives and starts attacking.

- The War Doctor arrives at the city of Arcadia, as the city falls, The War Doctor sees all the destruction and realises that there's no way to save the planet, and letting it continue will take many more lives. He decides that the Time War should continue no more.

- The War Doctor breaks into the Omega Arsenal and steals The Moment, a weapon capable of killing them all, and something that the War Council wouldn't use. The War Doctor flees so he can work out how to use it.

-The High Council hitches a desperate plan to save Gallifrey. By planting a signal inside The Master, they are able to remove Gallifrey from that location and to Earth. However, The Tenth Doctor is currently on Earth and both The Tenth Doctor (to protect Earth) and The Master (for revenge) stop them, and Gallifrey returns to its original location.

- Then 13 versions of The Doctor arrive with a crazy plan to lock Gallifrey in a pocket universe, and the plan is (seemingly) successful.

So if thats the order of events, and the Time lock seen in journeys end wasn't one, it was a planet being riped through time.....

Where did the Master go?

he went back with Rasilion and the council to this planet that was then sent to a pocket universe......

so the Master is now freely able to return...

he could have taken a ship just before the 13 Doctor's moved the planet, or he could be on Galifrey and obviously is just there ready to be used in a plot

but then so is Rasiliion (unless the Master killed him, which is likely since Dalton probably won't return unless its a special)

how does all this affect the events of Journeys end in retlation to them and the council, and the watching timelord woman

The time lock could still apply (The Moment was able to break through it) - I always saw the time lock as a natural occurrence due to the significance of the events, rather than the result of a weapon or something.

Also, we already know that The Master will never be permanently dead.