Playstation Discussion Archive

CooInTheZoo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No more 60GB PlayStation 3 in US after July, says Reeves

All they're doing is taking their stock and marking the price down'

SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month.

Reeves was speaking at an E3 event to announce the introduction of a new PS3 bundle in Europe. When asked about possible criticisms over whether SCEE should have given consumers the option to pay a lower price, as SCEA has done, he replied, "Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game.

"All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July."

When asked to clarify if this will mean the end of the 60GB model, Reeves answered, "In America, yes."

SCEA announced a USD 100 price cut for PlayStation 3 earlier this week. A new 80GB model will come bundled with a copy of Motorstorm and will retail for USD 599.

gamesindustry.biz

Update 2: As you may have seen in this clip about 1:45 in, Kaz Hirai says "The $499 price adjustment that we did for the 60 GB version for the American market, we're no longer in production for that product. So once that product is gone from the retailers shelves, then we're back to the $599 SKU only, so it's not like we have a two price strategy here in the U.S. market, which we found early on consumers react most to just having one SKU as opposed to two." So, we're attempting to get some clarification. You'll know when we do.

Update 3: According to Karraker, "The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted. We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come. We won't be making any further announcements regarding our hardware offerings in the North America at this time." In our opinion, it's a touch disingenuous for Sony to just now be bringing this information to light, even though Karraker goes on to insist that this is not a bait-and-switch. If that's the truth, why make it seem like the company was returning to a two-SKU strategy when that was clearly just temporary?

OK I've just seen pics of the redisgn for the PSP over on Kotaku. It err.... looks the same. They say that the d-pad is better and I'm guessing that the battery life will be better but, err.. yeah. Woo?

Thiner, Lighter, Better battery, better umd drive with ram caching for faster loading, TVOUT to run anything on your PSP on your TV.

Some other stuff that is in the firmware update that will only work on the new psp , firm 3.6 i think it is.

OK I've just seen pics of the redisgn for the PSP over on Kotaku. It err.... looks the same. They say that the d-pad is better and I'm guessing that the battery life will be better but, err.. yeah. Woo?

That's what I thought..

I want a silver one!

Did i read somewhere that it can link up to your TV? How exactly?

It's just got an audio and visual out socket and comes with cable that connects and has composite on the other end...

It's just got an audio and visual out socket and comes with cable that connects and has composite on the other end...

Well, thats quite a good thing, is it not?

I am right in saying you can play your PSP games now on your BIG tv screen?

You can pick up UMD's movies much cheaper then DVD'S as well, so techically you can watch them like you would a normal dvd on the big screen but at prices like £3.

Thinking about selling my PSP I have now, and waiting for the new one...

The pack they showed in the Sony Conference. The Star Wars one. Is that gunna be released in Europe? As it sounded like a nice price, and liked the look of the PSP with Darth Vader on the back :P

Thinking about selling my PSP I have now, and waiting for the new one...

The pack they showed in the Sony Conference. The Star Wars one. Is that gunna be released in Europe? As it sounded like a nice price, and liked the look of the PSP with Darth Vader on the back :P

Yes the white one is supposadely launching 9th October 2007, the day Battlefront PSP comes out.

The other colours are out in September! As i want Daxter again (i stupidly sold it, before completing it) and the memory stick, i think i may go silver.

Yes the white one is supposadely launching 9th October 2007, the day Battlefront PSP comes out.

The other colours are out in September! As i want Daxter again (i stupidly sold it, before completing it) and the memory stick, i think i may go silver.

You sold Daxter!!??

*HoT shakes head in disgust*

You sold Daxter!!??

*HoT shakes head in disgust*

I know! :(

I had to kill this big bug thing if i remember correctly and couldn't do it. Got annoyed and sold it.

Now i want it back! : peace:

Forgive me master! :D

Man, I am so wanting a PS3 now, after watching all the new videos from E3, Home looks ace, Heavenly Sword, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, MGS4 and so many more. Defiantly gunna buy one before Xmas this year.

Also liking that Home feature where you can instantly go to a game, and then return to where you were after it finishes.

The PS3 sounds like fairies, skipping gaily amongst the daisies, gently whirring with pleasure every now and again.

The 360, in comparison, sounds like getting your face ripped off with a jet engine.

Also, I'm really really liking this PS3 uprising. :heh: I've been on Ninja Gaiden Sigma this weekend, and I'm enjoying it much more than on the Xbox, where I thought it was just an unbelievably difficult game. But this time round, thanks to the Ninja Dog difficulty, I'm having an incredible amount of fun on it. And it looks absolutely stunning.

The PS3 sounds like fairies, skipping gaily amongst the daisies, gently whirring with pleasure every now and again.

The 360, in comparison, sounds like getting your face ripped off with a jet engine.

PMSL

That made laugh so hard!

And its a very true comparison!

As for importing from canada all you need is the plug adaptor and you cant use the Network fullly I believe as well as either PS3 Games or BluRays being region locked (think its the games IIRC)

If i bought a PS3 from Canada when I'm over there, what would I have to do to make it work over here? Besides price, what are the advantages and disadvantages of getting one over there rather than over here in UK.

Sorry if it sounds a bit like an exam question! :heh:

The PSONE, PS2 and BLURAY games are region locked but I think the PS3 games are fine.

The PS3 is only like £300 from Videogamesplus.ca but I dont want to import one incase it breaks down on me.

The PSONE, PS2 and BLURAY games are region locked but I think the PS3 games are fine.

The PS3 is only like £300 from Videogamesplus.ca but I dont want to import one incase it breaks down on me.

Buy my JAP one, comes with about 7month warranty left from Metro Center £250 with Ridge Racer ;)

Damn you to hell adammmmmmm!

Snake? Snakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Fission Mailed!

Jesus Im dying for MGS action.

In MGS2 when the commnder goes screwy? that fucking madness in a codec.

And Merrly!!!!! SHES BACK! SO IS NAOMI!

Please for the love of all that is holy have Mei Ling back on the saving systems, and USE THE BOSS MUSIC FROM MGS1

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!