Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Playstation Discussion Archive

CooInTheZoo

When news first broke late last week of PlayStation 3 units in Australia and Europe being less backwards-compatible than US and Japanese models, many speculated that the move was all about cutting costs on Sony's next-generation console. Sony Computer Entertainment Australia managing director Michael Ephraim has now confirmed that to GameSpot AU, saying that software emulation of PS2 games was the cheaper option for Sony on the PS3.

The Australian and European model of the PlayStation 3, which is set for launch on March 23, 2007, will use different hardware specifications from the models already released in Japan on November 11, 2006, and in the US on November 17. Backwards compatibility is one of the key differences, with the new PS3s compatible with only a "limited range" of PS2 titles and a "broad range" of original PlayStation games. Ephraim said the main reason behind the different compatibilities is that Australian/European PS3s will not ship with the Emotion Engine chip installed. The Emotion Engine is the name Sony coined for the PS2's CPU. While the list of backwards-compatible PS1/PS2 games will be limited on launch, Sony will be providing regular updates to expand that list, Ephraim said.

"Clearly cost is one of the [reasons]. If software is cheaper than the cost of the chip, then why not do that?," Ephraim said. "We will be working on delivering backwards-compatibility through software emulation. The software emulation list will grow, and there’s a web site people can check to see what games are backwards-compatible. It will be a progressive emulation."

Ephraim played down the importance of backwards-compatibility on the PS3, saying that the new console has plenty more to offer prospective buyers.

"People will be able to play quite a few [PS1 and PS2] games. PS1 games are not a problem. I think PS2 backwards-compatibility is important, but when you look at what PS3’s doing with new games, digital content and so on, that specific functionality may not be as important as previously felt. But then again, that is something the consumer has to decide on. We are intending to deliver backwards-compatibility--just through different means," he said.

Ephraim said the full list of backwards-compatible games that will be ready for the PS3's Australian and European launches was still being confirmed. Sony's web site will feature a full list that goes live on March 23.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony Japan Comments on Backwards Compatibility

New models to feature combined hardware and software solution.

Following Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's bomb late last week regarding a possible drop in backwards compatibility for the European PlayStation 3, Japanese gaming site Impress Watch reports today that SCEE's Japanese parent SCEI has at last issued a statement on the matter, providing clarification into exactly what will be going on under the hood.

The current PS3 model that's available for purchase in Asia and North America achieves backwards compatibility through hardware, as each unit includes the "Emotion Engine + Graphics Synthesizer" combination CPU and graphics chip that powers the slim model PS2. The European version of the hardware will not have this chip, SCEI confirmed today. To achieve backwards compatibility, the European model will rely on a combination of hardware and software. Sony is including hardware of some form that will take the place of the Graphics Synthesizer graphics chip. The Emotion Engine CPU functionality will be replicated entirely through software emulation.

Sadly, SCEI did not clarify some of the vague terminology used in the European subsidiary's press release to describe the level of backwards compatibility that can be expected from the new system configuration. SCEI also kept mum on when the new version of the hardware will appear in other territories.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Those walking out of a UK store next month with a PS3 under the arm will no doubt be concerned about the retail price of launch games -- doubly so if they actually paid for the console on their way out. Sony has announced a £39.99 (€59.99) price point for first-party launch games, placing the likes of Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man in the same bracket as Wii and first-party Xbox 360 titles. Presumably, the games will contain all of the content from their American and Japanese releases.

Sony also notes that an "introductory period" will see PlayStation Network games priced between €2.99 and €9.99, with game-specific downloadable content starting at €0.99 and increasing depending on the product's scope.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then what makes a good racing game, and what makes a not so good racing game?

Well to me a good racing game is when iv had a go on it I want to play it again. And after playing RR7 I will not want to play it again.

The sliding on the game is just not real imo and the handling doesnt feel right. I loved the RR's is the past but not they are just getting silly

Man if some fighting gamers were in this forum, you'd so get slattered for saying VF5 is a bad copy of DOA4. It plays nothing alike. There's a difference of disliking a game and a bad game. VF series is one the of most wellknown series for been all about perfection in gameplay. It's a so balanced fighter and it's a game that is about skill, not about bashing buttons

2 me a fighting game isnt about skill. Anyone can beat anyone thats the great thing about a fighting game. Im just saying what I think about VF5 and I think its just a copy of DOA just different characters and moves

Well I love car games and fighting games. GT HD is a good car car RR7 is NOT. DOA 4 is a good fighting game VF5 is not

If you play VF5 its just a bad copy of DOA 4

You not won over by VF5 m_fergy? I'm quite surprised. :)

I think it's a great game. Slightly confused at the Quest Mode though and why every-time i pick an opponent and win, another challenger comes and it goes on and on and on...is that suppose to happen? So you win more items and rank-up or something?

Graphically outstanding as well. I had to change a few control options though, i'm sure the control method when you first play is made for a Arcade Stick.

The £39.99 price-point for first-party games is superb! That means there be like £37.99 on Gameplay, so much better then £49.99.

Also, the prices of the online-games aren't too bad. I just hope we don't have to wait long to download PSONE classics onto our PSP's. I want Crash Bandicoot! :grin:

Oh come on. People complain no matter what Sony do. Even when they make their games cheaper!

It does say launch titles though, so maybe you can pay more later if you want to wait.

Totally agree with this, unbelievable that people are moaning at cheaper games.

Also, fighters are ALL about skill, and ALL about learning the moves, VF is one of the most balanced fighters ever, maybe not great at bringing in new fans like Tekken and Soul Calibur, but once master is easily as good.

I also can't believe the reason for why RR7 is a 'shit' game is it's not one you'd go back to. Loads of people play it, so that isn't a reason. Not liking a game is different to a game being shit. I hate Gran Turismo, but I can apreciate a good game.

P.S. Crash Bandicoot FTW.

Well I love car games and fighting games. GT HD is a good car car RR7 is NOT. DOA 4 is a good fighting game VF5 is not

Speaking of GT HD...Am I the only person who thinks it looks worse than normal GT? I mean...all HD seems to do to it is make it extremely obvious that half the stuff you see is 2D...

Speaking of GT HD...Am I the only person who thinks it looks worse than normal GT? I mean...all HD seems to do to it is make it extremely obvious that half the stuff you see is 2D...

sorry Cube but i have to say this, if you think you think GT:HD Looks worse than the other Gran Turismos you are totally mad. Its the best looking game ive ever seen...

Well to me a good racing game is when iv had a go on it I want to play it again. And after playing RR7 I will not want to play it again.

The sliding on the game is just not real imo and the handling doesnt feel right. I loved the RR's is the past but not they are just getting silly

You make a fair point, and I think I'd feel the same as you about not playing it again if I didn't like the handling. I think replay value is quite a big factor in racing games, as sometimes you have to master ever twist or turn on a track, so if you can't bring yourself to play it then it just won't work. :heh:

Still, give it a try again in the future, you never know you're opinion might change.

Sorry mate, but i disagree. Have you seen it running on a TV? That may change your mind! :smile:

Two words: Mountains + Tarmac, fantastic. :D

Man if some fighting gamers were in this forum, you'd so get slattered for saying VF5 is a bad copy of DOA4. It plays nothing alike. There's a difference of disliking a game and a bad game. VF series is one the of most wellknown series for been all about perfection in gameplay. It's a so balanced fighter and it's a game that is about skill, not about bashing buttons.

Wait, what? Who the hell would say that? Any Dead or alive sucks major balls when you put it next to one of the most beautiful fighting engines created (VF4:E). It's quite frankly ridiculous when people say these things. VF is a game created with hardcore/ pro fighters in mind, and if you don't give it a hell of a lot of time, you're never going to understand it.

Wait, what? Who the hell would say that? Any Dead or alive sucks major balls when you put it next to one of the most beautiful fighting engines created (VF4:E). It's quite frankly ridiculous when people say these things. VF is a game created with hardcore/ pro fighters in mind, and if you don't give it a hell of a lot of time, you're never going to understand it.

Totally spot on there.

I guess you guys havn't heard of opinions? :D

Opinions can be wrong in my opinion. :p

Actually they're still £39.99 on Gameplay, and out of the few that are that price there's only 2 tops that are worth buying.

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/plat_shop.asp?platform=PS3

Ah damn. Still, they may lower them later in the year! I'm positive some 360 titles were lowered to £37.99 from £39.99 to compete with their competition.

£39.99 is still better then £50 though, and you normally get it a day earlier.

Shop-to net are even quicker and cheaper (normally), but i haven't used them yet.

No, £49.99 for most third party titles.

But surely they realise if there are 200k people at selling a game at £50 they may only sell 50k, but if they sold their games at £39.99 - they would be able to sell higher volumes.

If gameplay can sell 360/ps3 games at £40. Why can't the likes of game stores do that - yes they don't have to pay the maintence on each shop and not employ that many people.

But come on - mass market don't want to pay this much for a game, actually to be frank with all of you guys here for a console game at the mo £29.99 is more than adequat. I just hope the governmet interferes and sticks a price cap on games for consoles.

No, £49.99 for most third party titles.

I'm slightly confused on why third-party games are more expensive then first-party ones?

It will probably mean, that i will buy the 'Sony' games for my PS3 (obviously) and any third-party titles which come out on both PS3 and 360, on the 360.

Unless for some reason, the PS3 version is better then the 360 one...

Why would they want to do that, it'd be less VAT for them to collect.

Well they can collect extra vat from those who have prison records and those on he sex offenders list as far as I am concerned. We need someone to say right we are going to sell games at £29.99. Of course publishers will complain. However if they spent less bleedin' money on advetising costs. You could charge games at a lower cost.

Well they can collect extra vat from those who have prison records and those on he sex offenders list as far as I am concerned.

And how would that work, would shops have access to police records and nothing could be bought without proof of ID?

We need someone to say right we are going to sell games at £29.99. Of course publishers will complain. However if they spent less bleedin' money on advetising costs. You could charge games at a lower cost.

Yep, that's going to help, cut advertising and you get less sales.

If anything development costs need to be lowered, but that's never going to happen with the PS3.

And how would that work, would shops have access to police records and nothing could be bought without proof of ID?

Yep, that's going to help, cut advertising and you get less sales.

If anything development costs need to be lowered, but that's never going to happen with the PS3.

What I meant was instead increase income tax for those groups of people.

As mark rein said you don't need alot of people to create an epic game - just a 20-30 odd inspired people who believe in the product their creating.

And yeah advertising costs are way to high. All they need is send it into the media to be reviewed. Then people who visit those websites/buy the magazine. Would generate the hype that way instead and hopefully get more units sold

What I meant was instead increase income tax for those groups of people.

As mark rein said you don't need alot of people to create an epic game - just a 20-30 odd inspired people who believe in the product their creating.

And yeah advertising costs are way to high. All they need is send it into the media to be reviewed. Then people who visit those websites/buy the magazine. Would generate the hype that way instead and hopefully get more units sold

You're living in dream land there.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!