NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

I will get a ps3 until we have the extention which we are going to be turning into an office for my software consultancy business thing and a cinema room - thus the need of bd player. Plus we are getting a panasonic 32" hdtvtv for living room, and a 60" hdtv for the cinema room.

Erm...what?!:hmm::wtf:

PS3 Cell 3.2GHz: 1879.630

What's does numbers? Jiggawats? Flux capacitors? Cheetos?

hmmm, they don't mean any of those units, it's just a number in order to be able to be compared right next to the other benchmarked cpu's. The score for Dhrystone should be DMIPS though, also it's a benchmark without floating point operations.

This should be similar to how you benchmark your GPU in order to compare your 3Dmark score to others. we can direct compare Cell's PPE performance with other architectures now.

Anyway... Cell's PPC (Power Processing Element=PPE) is so stripped down in order to run at 3,2 GHz that it actually is beaten by a PowerPC G4 at 1,25 GHz... I shiver to think how it would behave next to a real 2,5 GHz PowerPC G5 (PPC970).

PS3 general purpose performance is roughly double that of Gekko and Xbox Pentium 3, if Wii has double the cpu performance it could easily equal or even surpass this at 729 MHz.

Gamecube: 925 DMIPS @ 486 MHz

Wii: 925x2 DMIPS?=1850 @ 729 MHz

PS3 Cell PPE: 1879,5 @ 3,2 GHz

Wow, cell is a beast.

It does seems like Sony got the bad end of the deal, IBM probably has some uses for it, just not games.

It does seems like Sony got the bad end of the deal, IBM probably has some uses for it, just not games.
not necessarily, sony got what they asked for, massive floating point, it just happens to be crap at general purpose.

Now... I always criticized PS3 for this, the only way to achieve 3,2 GHz on a PowerPC architecture (same for Xbox 360's xenon) is compromising it's general purpose performance. Thing is... Xenon has 3 of these stripped down PPE cores... PS3 has one. I see clearly why developers like ubisoft are toning down the AI for games such as Assasin on PS3.

Thing is... CPU serves a purpose and that is not graphics related; we have GPU's on our PC's for a reason, a PS2 Emotion Engine owns a Pentium 4 3,2 GHz in Gigaflops... So what? the PC has a Graphics card to do those.

We had assumed they have learnt their lesson with PS2, but no.

GPU needs floating point performance... why sacrificing the CPU performance for GPU-like tasks?

Sony actually considered during development in doing CPU and GPU with Cell's and eventually scrapped that idea.

Now I recall IGN calling Wii a souped up Xbox for having roughly double the CPU performance... It's actually a godsend that Nintendo competitors have such a lame general purpose performance.

Don't get me wrong Cell is a beast for a CPU in floating point and all, but it is ridiculous how they made it hard to develop for (I mean... 7 SPE's? people complained with Emotion Engine's VU0 and VU1), it's general purpose is a joke, and it'll most likely suffer from that. I can see it helping RSX with graphics, but then again... what about the rest?

Erm...what?!:hmm::wtf:

Sorry mate, me and my bad spelling its now an 'extention' but an 'extension'. Sorry about that all.

But at the end of the day it does come down to games. The PS2 was the weakest of the bunch, and took it like a year to get it's first AAA title, but man once that hit the games just started to flow in, great games all over the place.

So the numbers make it not as powerful as it is. Once companies learn to work with it fully there will be some great looking games out there. Most websites did say that the launch games looked better than 360 launch games (in graphics.)

Well to me its all about the exclusive games that I'm interested in personally seeing. Because last generation it was mainly due to 3rd party exclusive games on the ps2 that managed to shift consoles. I just would like to know if Metal Gear Solid 4 and DMC4 will be multiplatform in the end. Or they will stay exclusive to ps3. Theres been rumblings for along time that these games will becoming to 360, thats the info I am desperate to hear, probably the only need for it, fo me.

:hmm::wtf::sad::(:nono:

You know when you build on your house you call it an extension, apart from that I don' know what you mean :hmm:

But at the end of the day it does come down to games. The PS2 was the weakest of the bunch, and took it like a year to get it's first AAA title, but man once that hit the games just started to flow in, great games all over the place.

So the numbers make it not as powerful as it is. Once companies learn to work with it fully there will be some great looking games out there. Most websites did say that the launch games looked better than 360 launch games (in graphics.)

No doubt, but what makes me mad is how they lie about their stuff. They think the consumer is stupid.

As for X360 and PS3... well it's been a year, Project 8, Madden 2007 and all have been in development also for X360. Said this there's no PS3 title rivaling Gears of War as of now.

When Dreamcast came out Psone was still king so the games where ports from that, a lot of them hardly used DC's power; same happened for X360.

I don't believe there will be a actual difference for the most part, just turn it harder to achieve something on PS3, making porting very difficult; like square-enix has stated. This might help PS3 get exclusive titles, but if PS3 would fail to sell or even tie with X360/Wii... it could simply loose support, as in title "exclusively not on Ps3"

It's a really thin line, developers doing a game for X360 can easily port it from PC to Xbox, or vice-versa. Ps3 is just one platform.

PS3 is probably a little more powerful graphically for the tech geeks, hence Factor 5 choosing it (factor 5 said 20%). but taking that amount of extra performance will take loads more (time) than on X360, and in the end... Even if it was double the polygons it wouldn't make the game look twice as better, it's not like they're that blocky anymore.

Time and experience will do wonders though, just like it did with PS2.

They think the consumer is stupid.

That's the bottom line at the end of the day, they target their products at the uninformed, but seeing as that's the majority they're on to a sure thing.

I am sure penny arcade said they would be doing something funny like his in their xbox live arcade game.

How much money do you have domstercool as you seem to buy every single game, the only thing you haven't bought is a 360.

Eh? I've had a 360 since december 2005.

I am suprised you haven't posted your gamertag in the gamertag thread. Though unless you don't have live. Oh well

Me and my friends today all agreed that the PS3 would launch sometime in November in Europe. As the guy from sony once said : 'historically, European gamers have shown that they don't mind waiting'. If it DOES somehow launch in March (with a DECENT amount of launch shipments), i'll eat my hat!

Nov. 30 (Bloomberg) -- Ken Kutaragi, the developer of Sony Corp.'s PlayStation game console, stepped aside from day-to-day management of the unit after production delays forced the company to slash shipment targets.

Kaz Hirai, head of the U.S. game division, will take over as president of Sony Computer Entertainment, the Tokyo-based company said in a statement today. Kutaragi, 56, will become chairman of the unit. Jack Tretton, now co-chief operating officer of the U.S. division, will replace Hirai.

Sony Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer is counting on the PlayStation 3 to revive a company that has lost almost half its market value in the past six years. Kutaragi, a 30-year Sony veteran, cut 2006 shipment targets by half in September because of parts shortages.

``Given that PlayStation 3's main market may be overseas, turning to people who know that business is understandable,'' said Naoki Fujiwara, who manages $720 million at Shinkin Asset Management Co. in Tokyo.

Sony cut the Japanese price of the PlayStation 3 by 20 percent to help lure buyers from Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 and Nintendo Co.'s Wii consoles, which sell for about half as much. The PlayStation 3 went on sale earlier this month and the company aims to ship 2 million units this year.

`Most Important Product'

``PlayStation 3 is the most important product in the Sony Group,'' Stringer said today in a faxed statement. The management changes will ``accelerate the expansion of our game business,'' he said.

Sony's American depositary receipts fell 10 cents to $39.41 at 4 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have fallen 3.4 percent this year. Each ADR is worth one ordinary share.

Kutaragi led the team that developed the PlayStation brand in 1994, giving Sony the biggest share of a $20 billion industry.

``Kutaragi will focus on overseeing the entire operation rather than day-to-day business,'' said Nanako Kato, Sony Computer Entertainment's spokeswoman. His position at ``the top of the management doesn't change.''

The company probably missed its goal of having 400,000 players in the U.S. when it went on sale Nov. 17, analysts including Merrill Lynch & Co.'s Justin Post and Paul-Jon McNealy at American Technology Research said this month.

Led Sony Online

Hirai, whose full name is Kazuo, will start his new job tomorrow, the company said. The 45-year-old joined CBS/Sony Inc., now Sony Music Entertainment Japan, in 1984, at the same time that Stringer was an executive producer at CBS News.

After joining Sony Computer in 1995, Hirai oversaw the U.S. introduction of the PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and the PlayStation Portable game players. He also led Sony into online game-playing in 2002, gaining more than 2 million users, according to Sony Computer's Web site. Hirai has been president of Sony Computer America since 2003.

Tretton, 45, helped manage the launch of the original PlayStation console and the PlayStation 2 in 2000. In his new role, he will be responsible for sales of video games and hardware in the U.S., Canada and Latin America, the statement said.

Sony on Oct. 20 cut its full-year net income forecast to a five-year low of 80 billion yen ($688 million), from an earlier estimate of 130 billion yen. The reduction was caused by the PlayStation 3 price cut and a battery recall that was the largest in the history of consumer electronics.

The games division had an operating loss of 43.5 billion yen as sales dropped 21 percent in the quarter ended Sept. 30.

The company today also named Akira Sato, a board member, as vice chairman. David Reeves, president and chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, becomes deputy president of Sony Computer Entertainment.

Bloomberg