NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

Heh, happens with every console launch. Someone goes around spoiling the fun.

true but hey, its his opinion. but saying that with this launch people went round spoiling the fun WITH GUNS :shakehead not good.

Aye but like Eurogamer says, it seems to be the same all over again, everytime a Sony console comes out.

"So far, it's been uncannily reminiscent of Sony's earlier launches. There's been hysteria to accompany the US and Japanese launches, a sense of grievance to greet news of delays for Europe, carping about the slightly underwhelming wave of launch software, complaints about price point, and technical teething problems with backward compatibility. But then that's how the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 started life, and look where they ended up: selling over 100 million consoles each."

A friend that I made on my course down here in hull got his dad when he was on a business trip to get a ps3 for him, and been round his place today and as

J.R would say on wwe: "Ma' God, what in the holy hell is goin on"

Pretty good fun with resistance and ridge racer, he also got genji 2 but lets not even go there :laughing:

The only thing is he thought it was region free backwards compatibility, he got a shock when he tried to play a pal ps2 game on it

Aye but like Eurogamer says, it seems to be the same all over again, everytime a Sony console comes out.

"So far, it's been uncannily reminiscent of Sony's earlier launches. There's been hysteria to accompany the US and Japanese launches, a sense of grievance to greet news of delays for Europe, carping about the slightly underwhelming wave of launch software, complaints about price point, and technical teething problems with backward compatibility. But then that's how the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 started life, and look where they ended up: selling over 100 million consoles each."

you really are going out of your way now to stand up for the PS3. i agree that its the games that make the console but theres nothing wrong with us slating the console or its launch games which look pretty uninspired apart from Resistance.

i kinda want a PS3 now though :( its cos i know it'll get a couple good exclusives but saying that even they aren't really guaranteed this generation like they have been previously.

I will get a ps3 until we have the extention which we are going to be turning into an office for my software consultancy business thing and a cinema room - thus the need of bd player. Plus we are getting a panasonic 32" hdtvtv for living room, and a 60" hdtv for the cinema room.

Carn't wait

I will get a ps3 until we have the extention which we are going to be turning into an office for my software consultancy business thing and a cinema room - thus the need of bd player. Plus we are getting a panasonic 32" hdtvtv for living room, and a 60" hdtv for the cinema room.

Carn't wait

'Can't'. Sorry but fucking me right off.

'Can't'. Sorry but fucking me right off.

I pressed the 'r' button my acident - but this is the internet spelling and grammer on forums don't exist.

you really are going out of your way now to stand up for the PS3. i agree that its the games that make the console but theres nothing wrong with us slating the console or its launch games which look pretty uninspired apart from Resistance.

i kinda want a PS3 now though :( its cos i know it'll get a couple good exclusives but saying that even they aren't really guaranteed this generation like they have been previously.

Because I think it's been unfairly treated. There's just too much hate for Sony, I wouldn't mind if they didn't hate the PS3 (I see no reason to hate it as of yet), but they seem to bring that hatred of Sony down onto the console as well. Most of the launch games seem alright and I personally would love to get my hands on Ridge Racer 7 and Resistance, and no doubt Motorstorm will be a EU launch as well.

I'm just getting fed up with the PS3 bashing that's all. The jokes are great about the crabs and ridge racer and all, but just simply bashing the console becomes tedious to read all the time.

It's probably true about the exclusive games. I've a feeling alot of american games will be on all systems, but the Japanese ones I've a sense that they will be quite close to the PS3, especially in the RPG department and for that it's a must for me. Who knows it might not sell too well and end up with cruddy games, but for somereason I highly doubt that. It took a while for the PS2 to start getting it's awesome collection of great games and It's probably gonna be the same here.

Urgh come on. Posts get deleted for a reason. And yes you were banned from the 360 thread not only for recent going ons, but for a history of it. You've not been so bad in this thread, but I can ban you from this one too if you keep on. Lets play nice children. Some of us have better things to do.

Back to PS3 please.

good point Domstercool! but i wouldn't get too excited over MotorStorm but its probably the best PS launch line up yet.

i mean what games did they have for the PS2 launch? that fireworks thing?! lol admittedly they had Ridge Racer for PSone but thats about it if i can remember.

Just came back from trying out the PS3 in Oslo. Played Motorstorm, Genji and Resistance.

Motorstorm was the first game I played. While it looks good in action, the models aren't as impressive as they should be. The tilt functionality was interesting. I finished last in my first race, which was unsurprising. You have to hold the controller perfectly horizontally to avoid the motorcycle reeling up on the back wheel, which was uncomfortable, since I'd much rather lean back in the chair and relax. Without the tilting, the game controlled much like any other racing game, but by turning it off, the game also lost most of its charm.

Genji was a disappointment. Though I did encounter real time weapon switch very early on in the game, the camera angle is fixed and is generally annoying. Also, the second half of the demo I played controlled clumsily. The game is basically a generic RPG, and apart from some nice visuals, it is not particularly interesting.

Resistance was probably the best game I played today, although it was not very special. Though it is intriguing in the way it alters history (WWII never happened), replace the bad guys with German troops and it's basically another WWII shooter. The weapons are pretty interesting, though.

I also messed around with the XMB interface. I inserted a Memory Stick from my cell phone, hoping I could take a look at some pictures, but unfortunately, the stick never showed up on the interface, and I wasn't able to check out the other media functions of the PS3.

The car ride home gave me to think about the experience. After trying the console, I am not overly impressed. The games I tried looked good - but they're nothing special. Resistance in particular, which has been called a PS2.5 game, basically looks like something the original Xbox could do.

While I was never fond of the DualShock controller, there is something timeless about it, even with its new guts. This has been said a million times, but the controller is very light. When it comes to the new trigger buttons, I'm undecided.

Oh well, those are my thoughts.

I personally would love to get my hands on Ridge Racer 7

Didn't you play RR6, it looks essentially the same game with a little polish on it.

Didn't you play RR6, it looks essentially the same game with a little polish on it.

I did indeed, but RR7 adds loads more to the whole dynamic of the racing. It's what RR6 should of been in some sense. Apart from the courses that have returned, the game feels faster than 6. It's one of the most updated one in the series so far with slipstream and customization (finally!) and obviously new team battle modes as well. It's why I want it. I love Ridge Racer games since Type 4 hit the PSX. Just so much fun.

I'm pretty sure that if it was just RR6 with polish that it wouldn't score as well as it has. It has a average of 79% on gamerankings, most of the reviews are 80%

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/932650.asp

Aw, come on, I tried the PS3! No questions? :P

Not really. Ps3 is just a PS2 with better gfx...

Anywayz.

Interesting:

"The low initial numbers of PS3s shipped around the world may hurt the system more than Sony is letting on—two PS3 exclusives have since moved to the 360. Fatal Inertia and Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War will also be released on Microsoft's console. If you look at the release list for the PS3 you'll also notice a long, dry patch of games from now until a few months into 2007. If you've already bought a PS3, there isn't that much to look forward to outside of ports.

From a developer and publisher's point of view this makes perfect sense; there may be as few as 200,000 PS3 systems in the US. The situation in Japan is even worse, with no more than 80,000 units installed there. There is no firm news saying how many more systems Sony plans to release in the near future, which means there simply isn't a lot of money to be made by releasing your games on Sony's hardware."

Just found out that if I work new years day and boxing day, I'll get £350 quid. That along with my game points is enough for a PS3! Now just hopefully I catch one when I preorder. WEE!!!! :D

Heard a rumour that about twenty thousand PS3s have been returned as faulty, anyone else heard this, or anything that might back it up?

PS3 Cell-PPE benchmarks:

・Dhrystone v2.1

PS3 Cell 3.2GHz: 1879.630

PowerPC G4 1.25GHz: 2202.600

PentiumIII 866MHz: 1124.311

Pentium4 2.0AGHz: 1694.717

Pentium4 3.2GHz: 3258.068

・Linpack 100x100 Benchmark In C/C++ (Rolled Double Precision)

PS3 Cell 3.2GHz: 315.71

PentiumIII 866MHz: 313.05

Pentium4 2.0AGHz: 683.91

Pentium4 3.2GHz: 770.66

Athlon64 X2 4400+ (2.2GHz): 781.58

・Linpack 100x100 Benchmark In C/C++ (Rolled Single Precision)

PS3 Cell 3.2GHz: 312.64

PentiumIII 866MHz: 198.7

Pentium4 2.0AGHz: 82.57

Pentium4 3.2GHz: 276.14

Athlon64 X2 4400+ (2.2GHz): 538.05

Source: http://rian.s26.xrea.com/nicky.cgi?DT=20061121A#20061121A

It's not using the SPE's (obviously) since they're not apt to run these... So much for the ubber power of Cell processor. :indeed:

Sony PlayStation 3 shipments are lower than expected, according to analysts

With the next-generation console war fully underway, reports have been surfacing that Sony PlayStation 3 shipments are well below the estimated Sony forecast. According to research done by American Technology Research analyst Paul-Jon McNealy, Sony's launch weekend had between 125,000 to 175,000 units available for the North American market. Sony originally planned on having around 400,000 PS3 units shipped for the initial release and 1 million units before the end of the year.

After thousands of gamers across the country spent up to several days camping out in front of stores, the Sony PlayStation 3 sold out quickly -- and game stores and retailers are not sure when they will receive more shipments.

Nintendo, Sony's major competitor in the console market, has also recently released its latest console, and is promising to replenish suppliers at a rate of 250,000 per week. The Nintendo Wii game console also quickly sold out the first day it was introduced to the market. Nintendo hopes to have up to 4 million consoles available to consumers by the end of the year.

Gamers who were lucky enough to purchase a PS3 are running into several issues with the new console. Reports from Japan indicate that the PlayStation 3 is having issues playing PS2 games, even though the PS3 has been designed to have efficient backwards compatibility. Sony also announced that it is working to resolve an upscaler issue that the PS3 has with older HDTVs.

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5063