NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

In the dashboard or xmb whatever you call it, go to Friends and highlight your username icon, then press triangle and select account management, somewhere in the menu you will see an option like Online Info. You can choose an icon in there.

Great post Dante, I think that is one hell of a launch list.

What shall I do with my PS3 preorder? I've had one on order at Gamestation since last April but no longer need it.

Does anyone think there will be a bad shortage of consoles like all the other launchs? I'm not so sure because of the price tag and the cheaper alternative (360)

Well Threespeech speculated that the UK will recieve 30%, which equates to 300,000, more than the 360 and wii had combined.

How else you would define killer-app from pure business standpoint? Killer-app is popular game that isn't available for other systems, and is able to move sells huge amount of consoles. 2 million sold units isn't really that much, especially when you consider that PS2 had userbase of 120 million consoles. Even if those 2 million bought PS2 only for DMC, they would be a drop in the ocean. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, in the other hand, sold over 9 million units and probably moved nearly same amount of consoles. That really starts to show in console sales.

If game quality would be main definition for killer-app, then REZ that sold only about 100 000 copies worldwide should be killer-app that decided PS2's fate. And when it comes to FIFA, you can't really win console war without EA and its sport titles. No matter what you think about their quality, they are strategically extremely important titles.

Game quality is the main definition of killer app, it is an exclusive game that is worth buying the console for that game alone, it has bugger all to do with sales really, sales just tend to follow if the games greatness is recognized.

Awesome! Means I'll have it for £365. I'm happy with that, hopefully the amount we get is high so I can get hold of one though.

How come Domstercool?

Bet you will get all this as well:

Resistance: Fall of Man™ - SCEE - Disc

MotorStorm™ - SCEE - Disc

Ridge Racer™ 7 - SCEE - Disc

Tekken®: Dark Resurrection - SCEE - Network

flOw™ - SCEE - Network

Virtua Fighter™ 5 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

Virtua Tennis™ 3 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

Enchanted Arms - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

F.E.A.R. Vivendi - Universal Games Intl SA - Disc

Game quality is the main definition of killer app, it is an exclusive game that is worth buying the console for that game alone.

In the final analysis only sales mean anything to console manufacturer and define what is important game. If game doesn't simply move consoles, it isn't important, no matter how good quality it is. I think that only reason why we disagree here is because I look things from business standpoint, you as a inviduals.

EDIT: BTW, did you guys notice that Sony didn't list RGB-cable (or Euro AV as Sony have called it in the past) as one of the accessories? I'm actually very surprised that they decided to stop producing them. Of course, there is fair chance that it is simply typo.

I've got lots of GAME points saved up just for the PS3. I'd knew they would come on handy. :)

Yeah! I certainly want RR7, Resistance and Motorstorm. They are my top ones I want.

Pads are only 2 pound more than a 360 wireless pad. Not too bad really.

Pads are only 2 pound more than a 360 wireless pad. Not too bad really.

Yeah. But it's bad when you consider that manufacturing them only costs 75 cents. But everybody needs to get bread to their table from somewhere. :)

I'm too much of a gaming whore to wait. I just love to play good games. I can afford it at £365, it doesn't seem too bad at that price. I basically said I wouldn't pay any more than £400. So that's saved me a extra game to buy as well.

My Launch day purchases will consist off:

PS3 console

Hdmi cables

Blu Ray remote

Resistance: Fall of men

NBA 2K7

Hmm wonder if we'll start taking pre-orders tomorrow.

Anyway £35 for the pad doesn't suprise me. Until recently the PS2 stuff was rediculously (sp?) overpirced.

Still wish Sony just wouldn't bring it out. Too much faff.

I have a 360, so right now there is no reason to pay such a high amount for a games console that launches with old 360 games. Give me MGS4 and FF XIII and then I'll consider it. And I'll get it cheaper too.

I have to say how good Motorstorm is, I cannot put the game down. It really is one hell of an exciting game and it really gets your adrenalin going.

The japanese version I have has not got online multiplayer but I would still give it a 9/10, so when the euro version is released with online multiplayer I can see it being the perfect game.

And while it's no XboxLive beater I have been genuinely impressed at how well Resistance plays online. I hope Motorstorm online is just as good.

£425? That's way too much, thank you.

I think the worst thing is the rest of Europe gets it for £30ish cheaper...

I was pleasantly surprised with the price, however i wont be getting one. NOt through choice but through circumstance. There's far too much i need to pay for at the moment, including a holiday to Japan and needing a new laptop. Still, i forsee myself getting one down the line, maybe in a year.

There's far too much i need to pay for at the moment, including a holiday to Japan.

I hope you're bringing a nice wedge with you, Japan is so expensive and you just know they'll be so much stuff you'll want to take home. And no I'm not talking about a geisha. ;)

1 Million units forecast for Initial European Launch Period Great!

London, 24 January 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe today announced that PLAYSTATION®3 will be launched in the PAL territories including the United Kingdom on 23rd March 2007 Good ! at a price of £425 Just... UGH!...

Responding to retail and consumer demand, SCEE confirmed that initially only the 60GB model would be available, with the 20GB model to follow later in the year dependent on demand. Both good and bad I guess (I bet you they're gonna pull a PSP and say that the PS3 has dropped in price when they launch the 20GB version)

PLAYSTATION 3 LAUNCH TITLE LINE-UP

Resistance: Fall of Man™ - SCEE - Disc

MotorStorm™ - SCEE - Disc Good

Genji™: Days of the Blade - SCEE - Disc

FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION - SCEE - Disc

Ridge Racer™ 7 - SCEE - Disc

Tekken®: Dark Resurrection - SCEE - Network Good

Lemmings™ - SCEE - Network

Go! Sudoku - SCEE - Network

Go! Puzzle - SCEE - Network

Blast Factor™ - SCEE - Network

flOw™ - SCEE - Network

Super Rub’a'Dub - SCEE - Network

Call of Duty 3 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision UK Ltd - Disc

Tony Hawk’s Project 8 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc

Gundam – Target in Sight - Namco Bandai Games - Disc

Full Auto™ 2: Battle Lines - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

Sonic the Hedgehog™ - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

Virtua Fighter™ 5 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc Fantastic! well done Sony!

Virtua Tennis™ 3 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc Great!

World Snooker Championship 2007 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

NBA 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc

NHL 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc

Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWll - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

Enchanted Arms - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

The Elder Scrolls lV: Oblivion - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

Def Jam: Icon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Fight Night Round 3 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

NBA Street 4 Homecourt 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Need for Speed Carbon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

The Godfather: The Don’s Edition - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

F.E.A.R. Vivendi - Universal Games Intl SA - Disc

Gripshift - Sony Online Entertainment - Network

The rest is gravy :P

PLAYSTATION 3 Peripherals Available at Launch

Peripheral - RRP in £ Sterling

SIXAXIS™ Wireless Controller - £34.99 WHAT THE FUCK!?

Blu-ray Disc Remote Control - £17.99 Too much, it's no good!

HDMI Cable - £17.99 Should've been £15 but you can use a standard one anyway so meh

AV cable - £17.99 If that's RGB then it should be £15 , if it's composite then a simple lol will suffice

Component AV cable - £17.99 Again, should be £15

S Video cable - £12.99 Good price!, cheaper than composite eh?

Launch lineup isn't bad! Sega seems to be coming to the rescue (Definately didn't expect Virtua Fighter for launch!) and a decent amount of games at least (Even if most of them are 360 ports)

Accessory prices are ridiculous, £35 should not become the standard for a controller! (Damn you Microsoft) I wonder how much the PS1/PS2 memory card adapter costs? Also what about PSN prices? (And while I'm at it, where are the prepaid cards for PSN, I don't wanna use a credit card!)

As for the console, meh we knew about it for ages. You've either accepted it or not by now so that point is moot.

The one thing I dislike about Sony's European launch of the PS3 is they are only bringing out the 60GB. I reckon they'll bring the cheaper one out when the hype dies a bit and proclaim some sort of price drop, but really they're just releasing the 20GB and a lot of people who aren't in the know will think they're getting the same as the 60GB but aren't.

Superb launch line-up. Really really is.

Virtua tennis for me! :yay:

Just been reading BBC's write up which can be found here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6295359.stm

The bit that made me laugh was here

"Both versions include a wireless controller, a Blu-ray high-quality video disc and a port so they can work with a high-definition display."

Fair enough mentioning controllers and what not but a PORT all consoles have ports. I think BBC are blinded by HD I really hate it when people pretend to know what they're on about