NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

Thanks, the tv is rather nice. It was a bit of a luxury purchase but I did need a new TV at the time and it was on offer at the local Sony Centre.

I actually just finished watching a blu-ray movie a friend leant me, crap film (S.W.A.T) but it did look good. :)

Thanks, the tv is rather nice. It was a bit of a luxury purchase but I did need a new TV at the time and it was on offer at the local Sony Centre.

I actually just finished watching a blu-ray movie a friend leant me, crap film (S.W.A.T) but it did look good. :)

I loved SWAT! But it does seem to be mostly crappy movies on Blu Ray right now (and HD DVD, it's only the start of the life i guess). I don't get how SWAT or some of those others got picked to be Blu Ray.

That 19" screen you posted in the other thread isn't HD.

Jordan said that they have to be 21" to be able to display HD pictures, so it looks like you'll have to go for the bigger version.

Sorry but that's bull, any monitor can display HD as long as it can do widescreen and has the necessary connections.

VF5 comes out next month in the US! IGN has just done a preivew on it and they state it's very fun....'but has no online play'.

Which is a damn damn shame! (I reckon the 360 version will have it...)

I'm looking forward to it though. Comes out 20th Feb in the US and will be a launch title for Europe hopefully.

Obviously the main thing about PS3 is the visuals...and this does indeed look the business.

Devil May Cry 4 Looks excellent, i just hope theres a much easier difficultly level...as i'm crap at games...espicially this one. Thanks for the pics Dante. :grin:

No Virtua Fighter will have online, because lag will affect the game too much, and the developer has apparently said that is why it wont have it. The game is too frame specific.

PS3 1.50 released. I downloaded it and i'm so happy to report that it fixes the awful image quality of PS2 games running on a PS3! So all PS2 games are now playable on the PS3! :yay:

I can now play my imported version of 'Okami', which i was just about to sell and wait for the UK release, as it looked awful before the update!

Not to sure what else the update did...have a check for ya's later! :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=72188

You'll have to peg your eyes open tonight, as details of the PAL PS3 launch will be released at midnight GMT.

The news comes after heavy speculation in the past week that Sony was readying the announcement.

As reported on sister site GamesIndustry.biz, industry types are expecting a GBP 425 price point and a launch date of 23rd March.

We'll be with you all of the way, of course, offering bad jokes and insightful musings. JOIN US.

^ Excellent!

Lets hope they let us know which official Sony games are out at launch...like Singstar and Heavenly Sword hopefully. :hehe:

It appears the reason that the PS3 is similar to the Tiger tank has emerged...

The Tiger was powerful, but over-engineered, too complex and few in number. As is the PS3...

I can now play my imported version of 'Okami', which i was just about to sell and wait for the UK release, as it looked awful before the update!

I wish I could play some import PS2 games, but my console is Japanese and it's no good if there's a lot of dialogue or speech.

Can anyone recommend any Jap games that are in English?

It does not matter if you think they are old, the last time I played a PS2 was just after the first Devil May Cry, so chances are I have not played it.

Thanks.

P.S - Owen I sent you that friends request.

I wish I could play some import PS2 games, but my console is Japanese and it's no good if there's a lot of dialogue or speech.

Can anyone recommend any Jap games that are in English?

It does not matter if you think they are old, the last time I played a PS2 was just after the first Devil May Cry, so chances are I have not played it.

Thanks.

P.S - Owen I sent you that friends request.

Thanks, i'll except your friends request now!

Can't think of any PS2 games with little dialogue in it at the mo. Have to have a think for you and let you know... :hehe:

EDIT: How did you choose that picture as your friends 'icon', shall we say. I only have a sqaure with a face on it and like to have another icon? :)

Yeah, the PS3 has no killer aps alright.

Considering that DMC3 didn't really sell that "well", DMC as series can't be really considered killer app or main reason why lots of people bought PS2. Killer app is something that moves over 6 million units** on the retail market. But it's true that DMC has strong presence on the net and very vocal fanbase. :)

You must also understand that Virtua Fighter hasn't never been that big seller outside Japan. West prefers Tekken over it for some reason (I think that it's mainly because Saturn failed).

* It moved only about 2.5 million units, but you really can blame DMC2 for that.

** Some last generation examples; Gran Turismo, GTA, Buzz games, Smash Bros, Brain Training, Gears of War, Halo.

1 Million units forecast for Initial European Launch Period

London, 24 January 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe today announced that PLAYSTATION®3 will be launched in the PAL territories including the United Kingdom on 23rd March 2007 at a price of £425.

Responding to retail and consumer demand, SCEE confirmed that initially only the 60GB model would be available, with the 20GB model to follow later in the year dependent on demand.

An expected one million PS3 units will be made available during the initial launch period to all SCEE territories.

SCEE also announced a stellar launch line-up of over 30 game titles for PS3, including eagerly awaited titles published by SCEE such as Resistance: Fall of Man™, MotorStorm™, Genji™: Days of the Blade, FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION and Ridge Racer™ 7. An exceptional range of titles in every genre will also be available at launch from the world’s leading third party publishers, including Electronic Arts, Activision, Namco Bandai, Sega, Take 2, Ubisoft, Vivendi Universal, and Sony Online Entertainment.

In addition to games on disc, an exciting range of fully-featured downloadable games

will debut on the PLAYSTATION®Network. These will include gaming icons such as Tekken®: Dark Resurrection and Gran Turismo® HD Concept; the fully-featured PS3 debut of the best-selling franchise Gran Turismo, realised with full HD (1080p) visual quality. Created by Polyphony Digital Inc and published by Sony Computer Entertainment, Gran Turismo® HD Concept has been downloaded by more than 350,000 users since it was released in December 2006 in North America and Japan.

Also available on the PLAYSTATION®Network will be brainteasers such as Go! Sudoku and Go! Puzzle, and innovative games such as Blast Factor™ and flOw™, designed exclusively for PLAYSTATION 3 and delivering on the promise to provide original content created by non-traditional developers and publishers.

Concurrent with the European launch, a new System Update to further enhance the entertainment potential of PS3 will be issued.

Announcing the launch details, Ray Maguire, SVP and MD of SCEUK said, “Following the hugely successful launches of PS3 in Japan and North America, we are absolutely delighted to be able to bring significant numbers of PS3 to the UK. To be able to launch with over 30 titles including retail versions and great downloadable gaming experiences across every genre shows that this is our strongest launch line-up in the history of PlayStation, and is what PlayStation fans in the UK have been crying out for.”

PLAYSTATION 3 LAUNCH TITLE LINE-UP

Resistance: Fall of Man™ - SCEE - Disc

MotorStorm™ - SCEE - Disc

Genji™: Days of the Blade - SCEE - Disc

FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION - SCEE - Disc

Ridge Racer™ 7 - SCEE - Disc

Tekken®: Dark Resurrection - SCEE - Network

Lemmings™ - SCEE - Network

Go! Sudoku - SCEE - Network

Go! Puzzle - SCEE - Network

Blast Factor™ - SCEE - Network

flOw™ - SCEE - Network

Super Rub’a'Dub - SCEE - Network

Call of Duty 3 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision UK Ltd - Disc

Tony Hawk’s Project 8 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc

Gundam – Target in Sight - Namco Bandai Games - Disc

Full Auto™ 2: Battle Lines - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

Sonic the Hedgehog™ - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

Virtua Fighter™ 5 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

Virtua Tennis™ 3 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

World Snooker Championship 2007 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

NBA 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc

NHL 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc

Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWll - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

Enchanted Arms - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

The Elder Scrolls lV: Oblivion - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

Def Jam: Icon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Fight Night Round 3 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

NBA Street 4 Homecourt 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Need for Speed Carbon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

The Godfather: The Don’s Edition - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

F.E.A.R. Vivendi - Universal Games Intl SA - Disc

Gripshift - Sony Online Entertainment - Network

PLAYSTATION 3 Peripherals Available at Launch

Peripheral - RRP in £ Sterling

SIXAXIS™ Wireless Controller - £34.99

Blu-ray Disc Remote Control - £17.99

HDMI Cable - £17.99

AV cable - £17.99

Component AV cable - £17.99

S Video cable - £12.99

SIXAXIS™ Wireless Controller - £34.99

51 euros. For comparision, wiimote + nunchuk combo costs here 60 euros. I wouldn't really call Wii's controllers overpriced by any means, especially when you compare it to SixAxis's price. :)

Best launch line up ever right there. Gonna Pick up Resistance, NBA 2K7 and F1 championship edition.

Considering that DMC3 didn't really sell that "well", DMC as series can't be really considered killer app or main reason why lots of people bought PS2. Killer app is something that moves over 6 million units** on the retail market. But it's true that DMC has strong presence on the net and very vocal fanbase. :)

You must also understand that Virtua Fighter hasn't never been that big seller outside Japan. West prefers Tekken over it for some reason (I think that it's mainly because Saturn failed).

So to the average Nintendo fan, a killer app is a game that sells well.

That makes Fifa a killer app right?

So to the average Nintendo fan, a killer app is a game that sells well.

How else you would define killer-app from pure business standpoint? Killer-app is popular game that isn't available for other systems, and is able to move sells huge amount of consoles. 2 million sold units isn't really that much, especially when you consider that PS2 had userbase of 120 million consoles. Even if those 2 million bought PS2 only for DMC, they would be a drop in the ocean when you look the big picture. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, in the other hand, sold over 9 million units and probably moved nearly same amount of consoles. That really starts to show in console sales.

If game quality would be main definition for killer-app, then REZ that sold only about 100 000 copies worldwide should be killer-app that decided PS2's fate. And when it comes to FIFA, you can't really win console war without EA and its sport titles. No matter what you think about their quality, they are strategically extremely important titles.

How did you choose that picture as your friends 'icon', shall we say. I only have a sqaure with a face on it and like to have another icon? :)

In the dashboard or xmb whatever you call it, go to Friends and highlight your username icon, then press triangle and select account management, somewhere in the menu you will see an option like Online Info. You can choose an icon in there.

Great post Dante, I think that is one hell of a launch list.

What shall I do with my PS3 preorder? I've had one on order at Gamestation since last April but no longer need it.

Does anyone think there will be a bad shortage of consoles like all the other launchs? I'm not so sure because of the price tag and the cheaper alternative (360)