Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

When do jokes go too far?

demonmike04

I think the major problem in society now is the fact there is always unqiue opinions on when a joke goes too far.

It makes the whole thing complicated, you could tell one person a joke and tell it to another and they get offended, sure thats obviously going to happen if you tell a racy joke, but even jokes that seem innocent can offend.

Today, I accidently lol'd at my friends Moshpit fight last night and now they wont listen to my apologies, I only meant in good humour because it was an accident thats gone and wont happen again.

So, when does a joke go too far in your opinion? And have you ever had similar problems with getting in trouble for joking around?

Its always funny until someone gets hurt, then its hilarious. :)

If the jokes about someone its fine if one person says it (I don't mind anyway, if I'm there, I don't like it if they do it behind my back) but if someone else expands on it making it 'personal'.

Guest Stefkov

i dont get the baby one.....

some jokes sometimes go too far, but sometimes they are quite funny, even the ones that go a little too far.

i like thi joke i was told a couple days ago.

Q. How do you get an elephant into a safe way?

A. take the f out of safe and the f out of way..........

(hopefully someone will say it, its quite hard in text)

your meant to say

There's no f in way. geddit ha ha ha

Jokes go too far when they are basically an insult/mocking/belittling hidden behind 'only joking' as soon as someone points out the joker is being a prick. When the 'joke' is aimed at a friend or someone. Though if it was aimed at Saddam or someone it wouldn't matter :P The way the world works eh?

I think it's hard to draw a line when jokes go too far because some people are easier offended than others, so you should consider whether the people you are telling a joke, understand it as that.

My attitude generally is that a good joke shouldn't be restricted by anything as long as it really is a joke and nothing else. I can also laugh about jokes others make about me and sometimes I kid about myself, especially about my size - with only 157 cm I'm rather small and according to a special doctor it will stay that way.

Like this:

Rape is only a joke, when you're raping a clown.

Personally I consider myself a bit of a funny man.. and I'll say whatever I want.. I'm totally for free speech and don't give a damn what people think.

I often say what is on people's minds anyway. I know that because they're laughing.

I don't mind the odd jew joke because South Park and Family Guy have almost made it acceptable.. along with more serious shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm, a lot of people think I'm a self loathing jew because of it.. but I don't touch any seriously racist jokes.. simply because I'd rather keep my nose in tact.