N-Europe

am i on the right course

Big Red

ok he it goes this week is the week i shall deside to either stay on or quit ( before being pushed) my course. witch is architecture well interior architecture

witch is not interior design!!!!!!

this is the second time to takin the first year and i just seem to be unable to gritt my teath through the insainly dull drawing exercises. :nono: and the time table is like being back in secondary schoole. and all things i love about the subject is sucked dry from my ever batteling body and mind when learning about the dullest eras of the subject. :nono: witch is most its just not creative enough at the start and as it goes on as their are too many regulations to abide by.

i mean if i was in a job and woke up every mornin thinkin :nono: i would just quit and find a new one. witch brings me to this

do you do things for the happyness or do you do it for the expectation-as 90% of the time it never feels like it should once achived :hmm:

getting into architecture was the idea of changing things as in areas and the quality of life for those who pass through or by ur building-s and dare i say it the permision to nock down as many of those samley dull shoping centres or molls down as you can to bring forth i brighter more creative future ;)

so i no their are a lot of people still in school on this site but it dosent mean i dont want to hear what you have to say. i no theirs people who are going thruogh the same as in uni, and then their are the oldies and have infanate knoledge :p

im thinkin of going into illustation or 3d design but waht i would love to do is lock my self into a room and draw all day and wright all night.......but you dont get payed for that???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : peace:

or take a boat out to fiji and do the same : peace:

I had a similar choice to you. I have regrets about my decision, but I think that is inevitable.

I won't say which I chose, but I'll say this, I very much regret that decision I made.

I am also very glad I made it.

basically life is what you make it. no one will give you anything for being miserable, and being miserable won't allow you to enjoy life.

I go for happiness (I don't get it all the time but I aim for it).

Life isn't all roses, and there will be tough/hard times.

on the one hand, life shouldn't be miserable all the way through.

But on the other, if you drop out as soon as you hit a tough patch, life will be VERY dull and unrewarding.

so figure out if this is needless pain, or just a tough patch, the pain before the gain.

If you can't figure that out, if you choose to get out of the situation, make sure you've got a Plan B, soemthing to aim for.

ie maybe saving money up through a job to allow your next venture.

perhaps a holiday or whatever.

a mate of mine once told me you need SOMETHING to aim for, and it is true, otherwise life is just a very slow death.

i am at uni and knew pretty quickly i was on the wrong course.

I decided to go for it and carry on untill i worked out exactly what i wanted to do instead and how to go about doing it. It isnt enough to have a vague idea about what to do instead, you need to know every step of the way.

i am leaving my course at the end of the year,and transferring my credit to an ope university degree instead. i am very excited abou it, but obviously dont know yet if i have made te right choice, but it does feel right.

good luck trying to decide!

oh, another thing worth bearing in mind is that often the first yuear of a course is awful, as they need to make sure everyone knows the basics, you mayfind the second year will be more what you wanted - try asking some second years about it and see what the modules are like.

i think the decision, whatever you decide, should be based on one thing:

what is the course like next? is it more of the same? more creative, maybe?

if you can see it getting better, stick through the shit patch.

if it stays dull, perhaps being trained for a career you don't want really is pointless.

im in my first year of a maths degree and im finding it difficult, ive thought about changing course's/giving up etc but ive decided to stick it through see where it takes me. im enjoying the other aspects of uni, i.e. the social life etc and wouldnt want to leave that behind.

I suppose its more to do with your mindset, some people i know just want the social aspects of uni, they have chosen a course which they thought was good but turned out shit and are just keeping going and not paying much interest to the work at all. i suppose that works for some although its up to you what you wanna do.

i think this is the rough patch! but i am thinkin on a wider scale as architecture was at first to me a course to end all the other courses as in it was the last thing to do pretty much under the art and design banner.

as i am 24 in augest and have done a graet number of courses.

my original thinkin was that this degree would give me more freedom of choosing what i wanted to do wether it was to design my own building or house, create elaberte sets for films and theatre. to create 3d enviroments that can be used for film games and novels. and most of all get this dam idea out of my head thats been burning for at least 15 years.

so architecture isnt somthing i could do day in day out for ever i need to change its just my personality and architecture trys to hold me down......it feels

the more i learn about my course the more i find i could do most of thoes things on that list with out this dagree but i would need some kind of dagree but architecture seems to have more waite behind the words than most subjects but i am not happy

i should try to get some of my pics on hear to show to see if the general crowed like

happiness or the career oh man my haed hurts

I think a lot of people go through what you're going through now. I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago actually. This year was my third year of being in an Animation course (which is four years in total). I'd actually kind of been pushed into this course, as my real aim is illustration; but according to people doing animation would give me what I need for illustration. So I went through my first year, which was kinda difficult. Went to my second year to see if I would like that better, but it just got worse and the workload was horrible. But because I was already halfway now and didn't want to disappoint my parents, I started my third year. And that's when I really started getting depressed. This was not just a rough time that you can work trough, it was the point where I had to decide what to do next. I would be crying about every day/night, barely sleeping because I had so much work to do, with which I couldn't even keep up. Still finished another semester, but then I just completely broke down and stopped going to classes. Told my parents about quitting (worst thing I've ever had to do, I really thought they'd be angry, but they weren't) and I just quit.

Right now, I have about half a year to figure out what to do. I'm finally going to learn how to drive, going to spend time with friends again (didn't have any while studying; wasn't even home during the week, which I missed), do commissions and participate in an illustration contest. And then next year I think I'm gonna go into Illustration finally. Which I should've done from the start already. But on the other hand, I do know how to animate now, and I think it'll help me to find a job later on, if I don't stick to an only illustration job.

The thing is, figure out what you'd really like to do. Do you think you can be happy with this course or will it just get worse along the way? Ask people who're in higher years than you what they think of it and what you can expect. Make a list of pros and cons about the course you're in now; don't just focus on the cons either. And like someone said, you gotta have a plan B for what you want to do if you quit, cause you don't want to fall into a black hole where you suddenly don't have anything to do anymore, no more goal to aim for. But most of all, just try and make sure that you can be happy with the choice you make, whatever that choice is. Money isn't everything (though it is very important) and you shouldn't follow a course just because it'll make you more money in the future as a job. Just do what you -really- want to do.

Sorry for the rant...

eenuh- no worries mate no ranting their

see i wanted to get into animation for the script i had, after it had been in comic form.

and one of my courses aloud me to try my hand at many techniques of animation. not enough to be a master, but enough to understand how i would go about acheiving the style and time frame. plus i realy coundnt see my self animating for long periods of time witch is necasery in that feild.

but i am able to do detailed story boards that animator can take most of the information from

perhaps you could tell me a little more on the kind of job oppertunitys that come with a ba hons in illustration

moogleviper :idea::laughing:

Why not train as a plumber, joiner, builder or electrician? There are loads of decent tech colleges offering courses because the UK (not sure where you are) needs workmen so bad because everyone thinks that a university degree is more useful (forget everything you learned at school). If your even half decent there's a ton of cash to be made. Just a suggestion. - you'll probably find your own thing though. To be honest I've been flying by the seat of my pants since before I left school. Life's weird like that. Just gotta take as it comes sometimes.

EDIT: Actually, if all else fails train to become an actor. You'll earn next to nought (unless you take up workshopping or something - they'll teach you that in acting school) but you'll have fun. It's the modern day equivelant of running away with the circus.

Why not train as a plumber, joiner, builder or electrician? There are loads of decent tech colleges offering courses because the UK (not sure where you are) needs workmen so bad because everyone thinks that a university degree is more useful (forget everything you learned at school). If your even half decent there's a ton of cash to be made. Just a suggestion. - you'll probably find your own thing though. To be honest I've been flying by the seat of my pants since before I left school. Life's weird like that. Just gotta take as it comes sometimes.

EDIT: Actually, if all else fails train to become an actor. You'll earn next to nought (unless you take up workshopping or something - they'll teach you that in acting school) but you'll have fun. It's the modern day equivelant of running away with the circus.

ha ha. i no what you mean but thats why i joind uni as i can tyle and have worked on jobs as a joiner and other things. and i have worked in a lot of other industries so the other options left are the armed forces :shakehead

or to move to fiji become a pirate and sale around 300 islands :yay: that would work for me and it would give me time to wright and draw :D

If you find something you enjoy you never work a day in your life.

Learn to spell mate, your presentation of yourself goes a long way online.. simple things like spelling and punctuation make people actually read your entire contribution.

I only skimmed your topic post as a result..

Unless you do an apprenticeship the course you take is never a good representation of whatever job or career you decide to go into. You may not find the work interesting but if you have an idea of what job you'd want to go into and think you'd enjoy it then just keep with it. I did an I.T diploma and by the second year I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do, especially a job involving it.

Now i've applied for a music technology course so hopefully i'll get into that. I have no doubts it'll be rock hard and parts I probably won't enjoy but I reckon i'd enjoy a job in that part of the industry so i'm going to take the rough with the smooth.