Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

I'm sure its a fine film if you watch it for the first time unspoiled but when you watch it for the first time already knowing the ending (which I'm guessing if you think about it you will, one of the better known Simpsons episode did parody it...and Veronica Mars did give away the ending which is how I knew) it kinda negates the point of the film. Repeat watches I presume are fine, as you can pick up on the other details but the crux of the first watch really lies in the mystery.

Exactly.

So why did you say before "leave us with our descriptions" etc,? Descriptions/trailers/DVD BLURBS can ruin films. Fact.

Exactly.

So why did you say before "leave us with our descriptions" etc,? Descriptions/trailers/DVD BLURBS can ruin films. Fact.

A few films. I think banishing descriptions/blurbs/trailers all together would be silly though. It would ruin the film business for one as nobody would pay to see something they don't know about. As they say; you don't buy the car without testing it first.

A few films. I think banishing descriptions/blurbs/trailers all together would be silly though. It would ruin the film business for one as nobody would pay to see something they don't know about. As they say; you don't buy the car without testing it first.

Of course. It's not possible for them to not exist, and still have a film industry. But it's a fact that films (most-all) aren't meant to be seen with the audience knowing a shred of what is about to happen. It alters viewer perception, and in the cae of Rosemary's Baby (for example, there's loads more films), and really ruin a film on first viewing.

I'm just saying, in an ideal world, everyone would be open to seeing films blindly, for the experience of the art in it's intended form. [/art critic voice]

I didn't say most films were ruined by having trailers. I said they could be ruined. But trailers in all cases alters viewer perception of what they're about to see/seeing.

Unless the trailer isn't a stream of clips from the film, and instead a specially made extra thing. However, those are usually just teasers.

But yeah. I can't let people look at the back of DVD's that they intend on taking seriously. I sometimes look at the back of shit-looking comedies (y'know, those ones with red writing and white background, with a airbrushed jessica simpson looking gormless, and some random guy shrugging. Those films.) to see if it sounds shit or not. But I hardly EVER watch comedy films. I find them vastly inferior to comedy TV series. So it's kinda an exception to my "rule".

Antichrist: I can´t really type down my experience of it.... it´s rather bleak and filled with disturbing scenes.

It´s one of those films where I walked out thinking, I´ve seen it and it´s good but I highly doubt I will want to see it again.

Antichrist: I can´t really type down my experience of it.... it´s rather bleak and filled with disturbing scenes.

It´s one of those films where I walked out thinking, I´ve seen it and it´s good but I highly doubt I will want to see it again.

It makes me squirm whenever I think about it, like a stoic.

Literally disgusting, yet stunning, to watch.

Magicians: My god this film was barely worth the pound it cost to rent it from the library. Really, really pointless and unfunny. If this was Sam and Jesse's attempt to cross over into film (ala Pegg and Wright with Shaun of the Dead) then they need to try harrrder. No visual flair to it and the editing was awful. Bah!

I was making a reference to Uninvited.

I don't give a shit about references that people pass off without citation. Using the words of others is weak. I just pointed you out as being wrong but, oh!, it's a reference so it's ok?

References are interesting when both parties involved get it. Stop being so damn cliquey.

I'm not a morning person, sorry. BUT I GUESS I'M NOT A STOIC PERSON EITHER.

The Spy Who Loved Me

Roger Moore's 3rd outing as 007. It is actually a great movie, introducing us to probably the first Bond Villain who appears in two straight movies and is played by the same actor, Jaws (as played by Richard Kiel). Still makes me jump a tad

when he appears on the train Bond is on inside the closet, which you don't expect really

Awesome movie, which i shall give it an 8/10

I don't give a shit about references that people pass off without citation. Using the words of others is weak. I just pointed you out as being wrong but, oh!, it's a reference so it's ok?

References are interesting when both parties involved get it. Stop being so damn cliquey.

I'm not a morning person, sorry. BUT I GUESS I'M NOT A STOIC PERSON EITHER.

Fucking hell, I wouldn't like to be at the end of your sharp tongue. Tsssssch!

You need Cider and F Zero. It's all the world needs.

The last two films I've seen were both personal favourites of mine.

Point Break

I think Keanu Reeves was made for this role. Well, that and Ted...from Bill and Ted. He and The Swayze just have a certain charm and it makes the film instantly watchable. There's so many feel good moments, like the bit when Keanu goes sky-diving, but then it's quickly followed up by a crash back down to Earth when you learn that lives are on the line.

Imo, I really don't think this film would've worked with two other actors. 8/10 from me.

The Fugitive

This is one of my favourite films, and I'd safely say that it is a classic. People talk about Han Solo or Indiana Jones when they talk about Harrison Ford's work, but this film needs to be talked about more. It's tense, and its relentless. You can see where most of the inspiration for Prison Break season 2 came from. Again, I don't think a better actor could've been picked for this role other than Tommy Lee Jones. I quite like watching him in any film that he's in.

9/10. :)

How am I wrong? I could have said "Squirm like a teapot" and it'd still make sense. It's up to myself to say what my reaction to the film was.

Well excuse me.

Sorry, everyone else doesn't stop the thread, and say "YOU'RE WRONG." whenever someone types something they don't get.

I fail to see how I'm being cliquey. I didn't really expect anyone to pick up on the reference, and I just thought it was a more interesting image than like "it made me shake in my boots" or something.

How am I wrong? I could have said "Squirm like a teapot" and it'd still make sense. It's up to myself to say what my reaction to the film was.

I don't think he's talking about your reaction, but your use of the word Stoic. To me, it seems like he doesn't think you used the right word maybe. That's what I got anyway, heh.

I don't think he's talking about your reaction, but your use of the word Stoic. To me, it seems like he doesn't think you used the right word maybe. That's what I got anyway, heh.

I know, it's the anti-right-word for the situation, since stoics endure pain without showing it, and don't squirm.

But then, it is the right word, since I was in a full tiny cinema, so I had to keep still.

I know, it's the anti-right-word for the situation, since stoics endure pain without showing it, and don't squirm.

But then, it is the right word, since I was in a full tiny cinema, so I had to keep still.

Maybe you could just use the words "chocolate raisin" to describe it. That's what I'm eating right now. A small box of Poppetts. Mmm.

It's only a word, so, I wouldn't worry too much.

The thing is that you made the reference knowing that not a lot of people would get it (I for one had no idea what you were talking about) and stuff like that can get annoying.

Especially when the same people do that a lot, it makes them look like an elitist because their throwing these words with the intend that a select few will "get it" because their a part of their "clique"

I might be reading too much into it, but hey I´ll just use that as an excuse if I seem stupid.

The thing is that you made the reference knowing that not a lot of people would get it (I for one had no idea what you were talking about) and stuff like that can get annoying.

Especially when the same people do that a lot, it makes them look like an elitist because their throwing these words with the intend that a select few will "get it" because their a part of their "clique"

Well it's the same thing with anything.

People make Battlestar Galactica/Arrested Development/Sex And The City/Lost/TV show references all the time, and alot of the time I'm like "what...?".

And anyway Uninvited is a famous song. Famously Alanis Morrissette's "only good song". It's not like I'm quoting Alela Diane's The Rifle or something similarly unheard.

Well that´s because those things are very popular right now and most pop-culture references here are related films/tv-shows/video games and all that.

Stuff like that can get very quotable and much easier to remember in the situation where referencing it is relevant rather than referencing music.

At least in my opinion.

I'll never understand why people treat this forum as though it were an actual, running conversation between two people, and not a...forum.

Although I like the *can't think of the word* "homliness", of it, people get pointlessly annoyed by shit that doesn't even affect them.

I'm obviously blind/incapable of understanding how it can hurt so many people's feelings.