NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

The TV guide said "comedy".

Ah well I didn't read the TV Guide...or any of them. Just had been interested in the film for a while. Just reading the IMDB forums for this film, pretty amusing levels of stupidity there.

Initial D Drift Racer.

Nice film leads all the way up to intial D 4th stage which is good if you haven't seen any of the others before 4th. The races didn't keep me in suspense as much but there was some good scenes involving terrible crashes and lots of cg.

My only annoyance with this film is compared to the anime the soundtrack sucked which knocks my final rating down to

7/10

Ice Planet - As a sci-fi buff I thought I'd just pick one off the shelf, the cover looked good, interesting teaser on the pack. It was shit. Now I LOVE low budget sci-fi movies, but this one just lacked in...plot? The actual idea was quite good.

Set a long way in the future, a ship with humans gets attacked by some random aliens, has to flee. Jumps through some gate and get transported far away, and apparently into the future, Land on a Ice Planet and random boring things happen. Aliens come back, they all get killed.

Turns out the Ice Planet is actually kind of a ship as well. They escape further attacks by teleporting the planet far away.

Nice ideas, poorly executed. 4/10

Cube

Already discussed this film earlier in the thread. Great movie, great plot. Low budget but superbly excecuted. And also features "David Hewlett, A.K.A Rodney McKay from SG-1/Atlantis" which I never noticed before! 9/10

Veer-saara

A bollywood film, about the love between a Indain man and a Pakastani woman. The plot is containtly changing and makes for a gripping film. The sets allways add to the plot and the subtitling is decent enough. Normally I wouldn't ever watch this sort of film, but I found it very gripping and moving. I would say it's a must watch film, so it gets:

10/10

The Italian Job

Looks as if someone was reading the book "how do I make a crime-action film" because the film lacked any distinctness. The characters and their relation felt pretty dull and there was nothing except for the Minis I didn't see in any other gangsterfilm already in more or less the same fashion.

Still it was pretty entertaining and had an absolutely beautiful Charlize Theron.

5/10

Trust The Man -

A nice romantic comedy with fine performances from David Duchovny, Billy Cudrup, Julianne Moore and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Pretty funny in places and makes you feel good but also sad about the realities of relationships. Wasn't too impressed with the over sentimental ending but overall a good film.

3/5

The Last Samurai

Excellently done. Tom Cruise's best movie IMO. Great start middle and ending.

10/10

Veer-saara

A bollywood film, about the love between a Indain man and a Pakastani woman. The plot is containtly changing and makes for a gripping film. The sets allways add to the plot and the subtitling is decent enough. Normally I wouldn't ever watch this sort of film, but I found it very gripping and moving. I would say it's a must watch film, so it gets:

10/10

Haha that movie is absolutely amazing. Not a cool thing to admit but it had me in tears a couple of times. My favourite film from the same director (I think) is Kutch Kutch Hota Hai (dunno what it means exactly) but its a massive love triangle and really touching, tense, really sad and when watching it you can basically imagine yourself in the situation; again had me crying like a baby haha.

10/10

Anyway, I've just after seen "Children of Men" bloody amazing film. It was so intense, gripping and sad. Great movie, must see.

9.9/10

Wickerman - simpe 8.3/10 It was pretty good, didn't like the ending that much I kinda expected more but its was a great movie.

Zinda - Indian version of Oldboy which is actually pretty decent. 7.8/10

Laputa - Castle in the Sky

amaizing animation, almost sucks you in to the movie. a very nice world created, if you liked spirited away and howls moving castel, this should be watched.

Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai

A very wierd film about a Hitman that lives by the codex of the Samurai. Has some very nice themes like the ice-cream one but I couldn't get behind the meaning of all of them. Also the storyline evolves pretty slowly but you need that time to figure out what's going on because it has very real-life like dialogue.

There's also no moral to it about good and bad and Forrest Whitaker portrays the ruthless yet friendly Killer very good.

9.9/10

The Third Man

Pretty good. The first half an hour or so of the film bored me to tears, though, and I didn't think it was going to pick up from there, but when Martins discovers the truth, though, it does liven up alot. After that, the plot was more gripping, the pacing was excellent, and Orson Welles was fantastic. A slow start and a rather obscure ending (imo) doesn't make it the classic I was expecting, but still, I enjoyed it.

Oh, and the Zither music was awesome.

7/10

The Lion King

I remember liking it as a kid, and I still do. It's fantastic when kid's movies give the older audiance as much entertainment as well. The highlight for me would be 'The Circle of Life' intro (Now that's a song).

8/10

The Crying Game

Starts off quite slow, although still interesting, if you get what I mean by that. It really does get interesting after the move to London. Then about 20 mins. later there's some heavy shit that you'll probably know whether you've seen this film or not, and the rest of the film is great as well. The last 20 minutes or so is suspenseful as hell. An excellant plot with great preformances throughout, and is nothing like any other movie out there. Overall, despite a slow start, a good British film. There arn't really many these days. Shame.

And Tony Slattery is in it too. He's cool.

8/10

Batman Returns - Not the best Batman film; Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins basically renders all previous films obsolete.

Dirty Sanchez: The Movie.

Holly christ in hell. How many of you here have seen the TV series. IN most cases it seems just like that but then every now and again they go that stage further.

I have never seen the whole cinema audience react at so many things in a movie, not even Jackass. It was great for that especially when everybody around you is doing the same thing. I will warn you now, there are times you will not want to be in front of people in this one, as im sure somebody will throw up during its coarse.

9/10 Its minus the one becuase i nearly threw up myself, otherwise i was laughing the entire length of the movie.

Just back from seeing Children of Men and i give it 7/10

The story is very interesting and its well paced but the ending falls flat on its face. Its as if they couldnt think of how to end it and said sod it roll the credits. Still, its worth a look.

Battle Royale, 7/10

Heard the book's better because it has more time to develop characters.. doesn't feel like such a gore fest when you know that there are deep rivalrys between characters which would have made the film better IMHO.

Anyone wanna recommend some classic kung fu readily available over bittorrent? All the .torrents seem to be shit except for uber mainstream krap fu films.

TY. I am happy to go to the 70s and 80s btw..

I watched two films today:

Infernal Affairs : Got this purely on a whim because I'm pretty hyped for The Departed as its a Scorsese film and hes my favourite director. When I found out it was a remake of this and I spotted it cheap on HMV I picked it up. Anyway I thought it was very good I could see the comparisons to Heat I enjoyed it. 7/10

V For Vendetta : Really enjoyed this Hugo Weaving was awesome. Probably my favourite comic book movie. 8/10

The Anchorman- 2nd time I've seen it, still love it, Will Ferrel is my hero. Awesome movie.

Battle Royale, 7/10

Heard the book's better because it has more time to develop characters.. doesn't feel like such a gore fest when you know that there are deep rivalrys between characters which would have made the film better IMHO.

Anyone wanna recommend some classic kung fu readily available over bittorrent? All the .torrents seem to be shit except for uber mainstream krap fu films.

TY. I am happy to go to the 70s and 80s btw..

Its not classic Kung Fu, but Ong Bak is a sweet sweet movie.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon looked interesting, although I only got to see the last hour (no thanks to a certain show with Simon Cowell)

Watched Naked Gun 33.3/4 last night. Pretty decent, better than the 2nd one, but not as good as the first. Think it's time for a 4th, considering world events. Leslie Nielsen is wasted in the Scary Movie films!

.. I think the last film I saw was Peter Pan on VHS at my girlfriend's new house...

Well, racist/sexist overtones and outdated storytelling can't fault disney's flair for BEING SHIT! Hah, didn't see that coming.

4/10. I watched Pinocchio on the plane over to australia and hated myself for always watching films to the end.

I wish i could think of a decent film i've watched recently...

Watched American Splendour last night, pretty weird film, basically it's a film about the comic about the life of a guy called Harvey Pekar.

good film give it a 7/10