N-Europe

Indie World Showcase + Nintendo Direct: Partner Showcase (27th August 2024 @ 15:00 BST)

Julius

A double-hitter of sorts to look forward to tomorrow! 

And, it goes without saying - say it with me now - there'll be no mention of the Switch successor :p

And so the wait continues...but this should be a good way to bridge the gap! 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

Good news but I'm usually out of the house at 3pm, couldn't they delay it a couple of hours at least? Will probably just have to catch up after the fact and try to avoid reading about any announcements. 

I assume the only Nintendo stuff that will show up will be games like Echoes of Wisdom and Emio: The Smiling Man, things that have already been announced or are coming out soon. Otherwise I don't really have any expectations, it's interesting that they're mashing two types of Direct together, not sure they've ever done that before

28 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Otherwise I don't really have any expectations, it's interesting that they're mashing two types of Direct together, not sure they've ever done that before

There were rumours flying around the other week that something like this was on the cards. It was suggested Nintendo would be moving things forward a little to clear the way for the Switch 2 reveal, with some Directs happening sooner than expected. I guess this is what the rumour was talking about. Rather than spacing the Directs out, they are now mashing them together.

I thought that was solid enough, having the two back-to-back I can't tell if the Partner Showcase dragged the Indie World Showcase up for me, if Indie World dragged both down. It was always going to be a strange one with them clearly wanting to clear everything out ahead of whenever we get that Switch 2 reveal and the hype and marketing cycle for it can begin. 

Highlights of Indie World for me were Neva (getting a release date – only a month and a half away!), Moth Kubit and Coffee Talk Tokyo (so I can RP as Sojiro from Persona 5).

Not for me from the IW section but really cool still I thought was the Balatro free update shadow dropping, Pizza Tower shadow dropping, and the announcement of the free DLC for Sea of Stars. 

I'd give the Indie World Showcase section a 6/10, some things I was curious about but nothing was crazy or a big surprise I feel. 

For the Partner Showcase, I lost track a bit, as they just kept throwing stuff out there at one point.

Really enjoyed the Capcom fighting announcements, the Marvel vs Capcom Fighting Collection finally getting a date was awesome, shame about the wide gap between digital and physical releases but it wasn't at all unexpected, and I'm happy to wait on the physical version in November with how many games are coming our way in the next month or so. Capcom Fighting Collection 2 also has my curiosity piqued, I think I'll see how I get on with the MvC Collection but if I enjoy my time with it, don't be shocked if I dig out some of the other Capcom fighting collections in the future :p 

The Suikoden Collection FINALLY getting a release date of 6th March 2025, while still a while off, feels so damn good – you ALL should be playing these games if you're a fan of great JRPGs, and I'll be ready to set the bunch of you to Ignore if you don't support the release :laughing:

Castlevania Dominus Collection is one hell of a shadow drop, and adds to the growing list of Castlevania games on Switch I'll need to get to at some point. 

Tetris Forever has me really curious as a Digital Eclipse project, plus I do love me some Tetris, and I was kind of surprised the NES version was announced for Switch Online just with this being a Partner Showcase. 

I'd give the Partner Showcase section a 7/10, it's one of the better ones we've had in all honesty.

I'd be tempted to score it higher if not for the fact that some games, even with us two thirds of the way through the year now, are still nebulously labelled as being "2024", "Fall 2024" or "Winter 2024" releases (yes, I'm looking at you, Tetris Forever and Metal Slug Tactics), I feel like that's unacceptable for a presentation this late on in the year, BUT it does give credence to the rumours going around that this was pushed up with the Switch successor's announcement not too far off, and I can see some teams having to stick something on there, even if it's as non-commital as "sometime in the next 4 months maybe."

Yakuza also weirdly doesn't add much to the score here for me purely because, as @Hero-of-Time rightly said, it looks rough, but also it's Kiwami before 0, and seems to be a move made more to tie in with the Prime series much more than the wiser move for players of introducing them to the series through what I feel is an objectively better game and story in 0 ::shrug:

29 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Wow, so that was a bunch of nothing :p

nuh-uh-manfred-von-karma.gif

They finally gave us a release date for the Suikoden collection so SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE :p

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Julius said:

YAKUZA ON SWITCH WHAT

Y'ALL HAVE NO EXCUSES NOW

I do, I played Zero, it was boring.

EDIT: Woah, hold up? Pizza Tower!? Oh HELL YES! Day freaking one!

Anyone who likes Wario Land 4 has to play this game. It's amazing!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I do, I played Zero, it was boring.

Thanks, this helps me to meet my quota of using this gif this week, just like I will every week until I die

boo-you-whore-phone-call.gif

:p

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 2

That was a real solid couple of Directs.  When you're starting OFF with Balatro? You know you have a strong show on your hands.

Pizza Tower is long overdue on Switch! That game is amazing! If you like Wario Land 4 at all? You owe it to yourself to devour that one! :D

Three big-deal collections with Castlevania, Tetris and Capcom Fighting Collection 2; Power Stone 1 & 2 with online play is gonna be rad! :D

Good show, though somehow only getting one Yakuza game announced for Switch still feels like a slap in the face somehow.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

indieworldshowcaseandnintendodirectpartnershowcasebanner.620x0.webp

Indie World Showcase and Nintendo Direct: Partner Showcase 27/08/2024 Roundup

Now up on the main page.

Press release and video. :peace:

(Castlevania DS games getting a more general release is welcome)

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Pizza Tower is long overdue on Switch! That game is amazing! If you like Wario Land 4 at all? You owe it to yourself to devour that one! 

Was reading on Era about the creator, artist and animator of the game.

https://huecycles.tumblr.com/post/710780349199826944/i-dont-pay-attention-to-pizza-tower-stuff-what

Makes no difference to me as I wasn't buying it but figured some may want to know this stuff before purchasing.

• Thanks 1