N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

I honestly can't believe we've pulled it off. We've played garbage all the way through the tournament and yet somehow we have ended up in the final.

Maybe Southgate actually knows what he's doing....no, I refuse to accept that.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I do think we played better during that match compared to the rest of the tournament. We won't be beating Spain but it's nice to be in the final.

Absolutely. The first half was a far better England team and one that actually looked threatening. 

Kane needs dropping. Every time his replacement comes on we play better and look more dangerous. Never gonna happen though.

An Aston Villa player just scored the winner for England in the semi final of a major tournament - I am so fucking happy for Ollie Watkins! Love that guy so much, deserves all the praise he'll get over the next few days 

• Like 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

I honestly can't believe we've pulled it off. We've played garbage all the way through the tournament and yet somehow we have ended up in the final.

This is the first night where we've been the best team in a match the entire thing. Brilliant goal from Simons and a few beautiful counters aside, the Dutch didn't deserve to win tonight at all. 

If we somehow win it's hard to argue against Bellingham being Player of the Tournament for me, regardless of the number of goals, assists, etc. His overhead clearly changed the mentality. We owe Real and Don Carlo a big debt for teaching him about that black magic :D

Italy were the best team in 2021, Spain have been this year. There's still a Spanish-sized mountain to overcome in them, but as we've been saying, these defences look leaky and they could be there for the taking. 

The tournament tree looks like it was made in FIFA. 

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Maybe Southgate actually knows what he's doing....no, I refuse to accept that.

It's not pretty but I hate that getting to the final again, and having a solid shot at taking it, means Southgate might be around for another cycle. He's done great to get us hear but three semi-finals in four major tournaments, including two finals, with how young most of this squad is – this is dynasty potential stuff similar to what we've seen with France over the last decade. All they have to show for it is a single World Cup; I hope we don't make the same mistakes. 

I'm telling you he made a deal with the devil, it's the only explanation. 

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Kane needs dropping. Every time his replacement comes on we play better and look more dangerous. Never gonna happen though.

To be honest, I was shocked he came off tonight with extra time potentially on the way. Maybe it's the fact that we'd had to go the extra mile in both the Ro16 and QF, so he was shattered, but it's not what I would have expected. 

I think it weirdly works in our favour, almost lulls the opposition defence into a state of false confidence. They're not needing to defend in the box against a tall and physical striker for 80'+ and then he's hooked off with someone who is much more direct and is also tall and physical, who is backing up into defenders and sticking up top as a target man. 

I'm tired. Really solid semis these last couple of nights! 

• Haha 1

Rooting for England tonight :peace:
But I fear it'll be Spain's victory :D

Anyways, fuck the world, fuck the news. I'm gonna spend the day with videogames, the Wimbledon final and the Euro final!

Edited by drahkon

On 7/12/2024 at 8:07 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Nice to be watching an England team who charge forward and attack early on in the game. 4 mins in and the Lionessess are 1 nil up and looking for more. :D

There was a result at the Centenary Stadium too! Check out o.g.'s contribution at about 30 seconds into the highlights.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cyx5pepd6dgo

UEFA's decision to not have assists help decide top goalscorer has to be one of the more baffling of the relatively inconsequential decisions they've made in a while. 

There are SIX players on three goals, and if neither one of Kane and Olmo score tonight, the Golden Boot is going to be shared between all six.

Who would win if assists were considered, you ask? As things stand, Olmo on 3 goals + 2 assists in 5 games, who has been one of the best players of the tournament and would be more than deserving of it in my opinion.

Barmy. 

Just under 10 to go. 

Would love to see an England win, but Spain have been, by far and away, the best team in Germany over the last month. If they put in a performance on par with their worst at the tournament so far I think they come away with it. 

But with how England have turned up again, and again, and again at the last moment, this is one of those matches that could be 0-0, 1-0, 5-0 or 3-3. 

So long as we're not 2 goals or more behind with 10 to spare, I feel like we'll be in with a shot. The obvious duels are on the flanks but the middle of the pitch is where I think this one is going to be decided. 

Expectations in check but let's keep those fingers crossed, eh? 

I don’t like that I had to click on random videos on iPlayer to find the opening ceremony. No Gary I don’t want to listen to you idiots talk, let me watch the show!

Posted (edited)

As far as first halves in major international finals go, that was a perfectly fine one – we've seen way worse, scrappier, and more negative a lot of times before. Both teams look positive, wanting to move the ball forward when they get it, and, outside of a few spells of Spain playing keep-ball, it's been going from left to right and back again at a decent clip. 

Some really fun duels to watch so far. Carva taunting with a crying baby action probably the highlight for me, Carva v Bellingham, Walker v Williams, Shaw v Yamal...definitely the ones to keep an eye on. And speaking of Shaw, probably Man of the Half, right? He's shut everything down and created some decent opportunities. We also saw Stones handle Williams really well before putting a slide in, I thought he'd shown him maybe a bit too much space on the outside and he definitely needed to stretched, but it was really well handled. 

Spain have been doubling up on the right at times which gets me the most nervous, but they've seemed fairly contained otherwise, and the middle of the pitch is overloaded at the moment and so it's getting very scrappy, which hasn't really suited Mainoo so far – as the legs start to go and more space opens up in the middle, that'll be the place to look for more of the action and opportunities I think. Especially with the high press Spain have going on. 

It's 0-0, we're still in it, we've had chances and we'll undoubtedly get some more – but so will Spain. Great stretch at the end by Foden to get that shot on target. This scoreline at half-time is probably a best case scenario for England so far, because we can't defend a lead for anything, and I'd hate for us to be chasing. 

Let's hope for a couple of goals in this second half. Or, well, maybe just the one if it's from a white shirt :p

Saka has been an interesting one. Every single time it's passed out to him it feels like a shotgun being reloaded. Wouldn't shock me if he unlocks this Spain defence down the right/their left. 

Edited by Julius

Zubimendi on for Rodri could be a massive blow for Spain and a massive invite for us to make something of this. Wonder what's happened there? 

Zubimendi is a quality player, mind you, so don't go counting your chickens quite yet. 

Damn. 

Just torn us apart. First time Yamal wasn't closed down for the first time this match and immediately made something of it. 

Game should really open up now.