N-Europe

UK General Election 2024

I called out my local Tory MP candidate on social media and he blocked me instead of responding (it was a claim that we'll be saving money on energy this year due to lower rates when trustworthy people have stated that it's going up even more in the winter). One day into the campaign is a new record. 

In Wales, the Tory strategy seems to be moaning about devolved stuff that has nothing to do with the election. They're not even trying to state how they plan on improving anything. The only thing they can offer is removing options for 18 years olds, making it much worse for poorer teenagers.

It's almost as if they don't plan on winning this election but they know it will take longer than one term to sort out their mess. So their moaning about Labour is more preparation for the next so they can claim "we told you so".

I'm not a fan of how Labour have changed in the past few years, though, but at the moment they seem to be the only option. Especially in Wales, the other parties have some significant policies that I can't vote for.

15 hours ago, Cube said:

I called out my local Tory MP candidate on social media and he blocked me instead of responding (it was a claim that we'll be saving money on energy this year due to lower rates when trustworthy people have stated that it's going up even more in the winter). One day into the campaign is a new record. 

Congrats!

But yeah, it is a lesser of two evils thing going on here, unfortunately. But if that's the price we have to pay get these Jeremy Hunts out of power, then so be it.

It would be utterly delicious if a repeat of the local elections were to occur and Lib Dems would get in second place, but I'm not risking that with my vote.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this hilarious excerpt from a Sunak interview:

"Have you ever gone without something?"

"Yeah, I mean I grew up - my family emigrated here with very little and that's how I was raised. I was raised with the values of hard work."

"What did you go without as a child?"

"I - we - without - lots of things, right? Because my parents wanted to put everything into our education. And that was a priority."

"So what sort of things had to be sacrificed?"

"Lots of things. Right? I mean there's all sorts of things."

"Can you give me an example?"

"Like lots of people, there would have been all sorts of things that I would have wanted as a kid that I couldn't have, right? Famously: Sky TV. That was something that we never had growing up actually."

And this guy is running for office right now? :laughing:

10 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I came across this hilarious excerpt from a Sunak interview:

And this guy is running for office right now? :laughing:

Yeah, we were discussing that at work the other day. It's laughable how out of touch he is with the working class. People can't afford to feed their families and heat their homes and that's the best he can come up with when trying to compare his struggles. I honestly can't stand the guy.

I think he thinks people are having to choose between things right now, rather than having no choice but to give up things including essentials such as clothing, dentistry and hygiene. 

He's so fucking out of touch. 

He's checked out, simply put.

He knows he has no hope, it's why he called the election when he did. Just get it over and done with.

At this point, I'm more concerned that Farage is going to go for the Tory leadership afterwards, but I want the Conservative vote to crater as much as possible...

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Is he trying to lose? He defends mandatory conscription, he skipped D-Day... I feel like his own party could sue him for sabotage at this point.

I'd be really amused if on July 3rd he held a conference and said "fuck it, vote for anyone else. I'm past caring"

• Haha 2

For my own sanity, I am glad that I don't have a TV anymore, so I don't get sucked into this mess too much.

I will vote of course but who to? - the leader of the blue party (bank manager), the leader of the red party (buliding society manager), the leader of the yellow party (church warden) or the leader of the not purple (cyan) party (that bloke down the pub). Being apathetic isn't great but it would be nice for politicians to do their actual job and people might care a bit more.

Edited by sumo73

31 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Oh yeah I'm not watching any of it. The thought of watching any of those "debates" feels like torture. 

I don't understand who can watch those debates and not think the people "debating" aren't just huffing and puffing about what they think "we" want them to do, rather than what they'd actually do if/when in power. 

Which is to say -- I think those debates say way more about the people watching than it does the people "debating". 

Personally, while politics is an important mechanism in society and I think education about it is important, I couldn't care less care for politicians or the current parties. Haven't since I met one when I was on school council in Year 2, he seemed a right prick, and being 1½ years too young to vote in Leave/Remain still stings, for obvious reasons. 

It's felt for a long time like you're simply picking your poison, it's how I've felt about the idea of voting since I was a little kid. For sensible people, I think when that's the case you choose to try and vote for who you think is going to do the least damage, whereas for the rest...well, they consistently vote for the types of people who've been given free reign for the last decade and a half and have left the country in the position it is now in after all that time ::shrug:

43 minutes ago, sumo73 said:

Being apathetic isn't great but it would be nice for politicians to do their actual job and people might care a bit more.

Yep.

The worst part is that it's such a simple thing to define and yet seemingly wanting that - not even expecting it, just wanting it! - almost feels naïve? Which is crazy, but that's the world we live in I guess :blank:

20 minutes ago, Julius said:

It's felt for a long time like you're simply picking your poison, it's how I've felt about the idea of voting since I was a little kid. For sensible people, I think when that's the case you choose to try and vote for who you think is going to do the least damage, whereas for the rest...well, they consistently vote for the types of people who've been given free reign for the last decade and a half and have left the country in the position it is now in after all that time ::shrug:

This line of thinking is what allows the people who always vote for the types of people who've been given free reign to do so without much resistance.

Even if you don't fully agree with whoever you decide to vote for. Even if it is just a case of picking the one that will do the least damage. Do the legwork, and you'll be able to make an informed decision.

For the love of Arceus, please vote.

Anyway, I'm gonna post this video, because it's important. It's 9 years old, so it's a tad outdated (Lol, UKIP...), but the advice is still mostly useful, even today.
Also, it's legit funny.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

This line of thinking is what allows the people who always vote for the types of people who've been given free reign to do so without much resistance.

Even if you don't fully agree with whoever you decide to vote for. Even if it is just a case of picking the one that will do the least damage. Do the legwork, and you'll be able to make an informed decision.

For the love of Arceus, please vote.

To be clear, I do vote. And I'll be voting in this GE, too. Like I said, I think keeping informed about politics is important because of the function it serves, even if it seems far from ideal in its current form and with its current representatives. 

My point was more that it doesn't even feel like there's a choice to be made this time around, there's an obvious lesser poison which is very, very likely going to get the majority of the votes of the lesser poisons. That's the sensible option I was talking about. 

Mind, I do guess it also gives a bit of an idea of the mindset when it comes to the question of why my age demo doesn't turn out all that much for votes, though that's not strictly a problem unique to the UK. 

Edited by Julius

I've only voted once in my life and quite honestly I don't see the point. Everyone one of these politicians in recent years seems to be out for themselves. All of them make empty promises with zero accountability if they don't deliver, all the while they look after their mates and companies they have stock in.

They all keep saying they will fix the NHS. How exactly are you going to do that when there are shortages of both hospitals and staff up and down the country. They all say they are going to fix the education system. Again, how when the classrooms are overcrowded and they aren't enough teachers. It's all well and good saying that they will hire more staff in health services and education but what do they do when people don't actually want those jobs?

One thing I will say for Farage is that I find him entertaining at least he's not sugar coating anything. He's flat out said that the country is well knackered and is going to take years to fix.

Starmer is a complete wet blanket. I'd honestly prefer Angela to be in charge of the Labour party. She at least seems to have some fight in her and can be quite firey/feisty at times. 

43 minutes ago, Julius said:

and being 1½ years too young to vote in Leave/Remain still stings, for obvious reasons. 

It stings for me too because now I feel old. 

I always vote but I can't remember it actually making a difference because I've always lived in safe seats so I tend to throw a vote to a smaller party just because. 

My current seat (although boundary changes etc) Labour is predicted to get 80% of the vote so it does feel pointless. 

Was thinking recently that I have no idea what my local MP does. I think given their safety and the fact they're in the shadow cabinet means they don't really bother. The only time I've had some "interaction" is being sent some letter about bins which seemed to be more about some beef/power play with the local council. The only time I see her name is when it comes to party stuff. Compare that to my previous MP who was at least more active, although I do appreciate that was when I was using Twitter so was seeing more of what they were posting. 

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've only voted once in my life and quite honestly I don't see the point. Everyone one of these politicians in recent years seems to be out for themselves. All of them make empty promises with zero accountability if they don't deliver, all the while they look after their mates and companies they have stock in.

They all keep saying they will fix the NHS. How exactly are you going to do that when there are shortages of both hospitals and staff up and down the country. They all say they are going to fix the education system. Again, how when the classrooms are overcrowded and they aren't enough teachers. It's all well and good saying that they will hire more staff in health services and education but what do they do when people don't actually want those jobs?

See, now you've just reminded me of another video from Jay Foreman that looks into the reasons people don't vote. Pretty sure you're under the "I HATE ALL OF THEM!!!" crowd.

Which is fair. But you do have the option of spoiling your ballot. I did this once about 10 years ago by drawing a big massive Totodile on the paper. (I positioned it's arm so it looked like it was holding the Labour Rose, BTW)

See, the thing is, that piece of art was not a valid vote, but it was counted. Everyone can see how many ballots were spoiled, which can change the behaviour of what MP gets in to try and figure out what might sway you.

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

My current seat (although boundary changes etc) Labour is predicted to get 80% of the vote so it does feel pointless.

Ah, and you're under the "My favourites going to win anyway!" group.

You say it doesn't make a difference, but that line of thinking is how former Tory MP Michael Portillio lost his safe seat in 1997.

It's still funny.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

Favourites may be pushing it. But of the ones likely to form a government, sure. 

I also like how you make Michael Portillo a little more Italian, which is fitting given I was just watching children songs in Italian (a clear sign I should go to bed). 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I also like how you make Michael Portillo a little more Italian, which is fitting given I was just watching children songs in Italian (a clear sign I should go to bed).

My mind clearly rebelling against me to make politician names more interesting.

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

My mind clearly rebelling against me to make politician names more interesting.

His full name is Michael Denzil Xavier Portillo. Is that not interesting enough for you?

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine in nice and early this morning before work. I haven't currently got any photo ID so I applied for one of those photo certificates with your picture on. I assume I was the first one they'd seen as they seemed quite confused at first😆