NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

Football Season 2023/24

Pretty exciting 1st half in the Prem. It looked like City were going to run away with it but West Ham have got a little fight left in them. Be typical if they bring it back and Aresnal can't beat Everton.

With nothing riding on it, it was a bit of a snoozefest at Anfield. The crowd chanted through their repertoire and after the red card that was Wolfs day done. Two times I stepped away and that was when the Pool scored. 

You're gone, Klopp! :weep: 

Onwards to a new era.

I forsee a rough couple of years ahead for the club while we rebuild. It's going to take time to get the new manager and the new blood settled in.

Posted (edited)

It is being reported that Toni Kroos will be retiring following the Euro's, as there will be no new contract agreed with Real Madrid. 

If it's true it's the end of an era for one of the modern greats. Football is starting to make me feel like an old man :cry:

Still remember when he was meant to be off to United and then Real came in for him after the World Cup for something daft like €25m. 

Anyways, here's your reminder that Modric's contract is also due to end next month. Not sure if he'd retire, but he's reportedly keen on sticking around the Bernabeu on lower wages.

Don't know if I'd be able to handle seeing two of the best midfielders I've grown up with bow out at the same time :cry:

EDIT: comunicado oficial – yep, it's official. 

Edited by Julius

5 hours ago, Julius said:

Toni Kroos will be retiring following the Euro's

Lucas Vázquez with the legendary response :laughing:

🖕🖕 fuck you 🖕🖕

Saying what's on everyone's mind :D

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Ridiculous. 

Official:

Absurd. Saw we were in for the Ipswich manager? The disrespect. He'll go the way of Potter, too, I'm sure of it. We somehow climbed up to European places - which btw we now seem keen to concede based on fessing up to a bit of FFP malarkey - after a stunning latter stage of the season, with this pick-and-mix of a team, and then this? 

Look, Abramovich, there's a lot to unpack there on an ethical level (though I feel like you can say this about most Prem club owners these days), but Boehly and his gang of yank swindlers have zero interest in this club doing well compared to that guy. None. It's disgusting. 

8 year contracts? Throwing Tuchel out the way they did? Wouldn't be shocked at all if they went to the Barto-Barca school of finance and we get royally done in a few years down the line. 

Edited by Julius
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Half-time in the Europa League final and Leverkusen are 2-0 down to Atalanta – who are all over them. Very curious to see how they react and how their shape changes after the break. Reminder that Leverkusen's amazing unbeaten season could be coming to an end here. 

Still really not a fan of the Europa League final being played before the Europa Conference League final...

Edited by Julius

Exhausted just watching this Atalanta press, they're winning the ball back on the edge of the Leverkusen box for crying out loud. Their positional awareness is something else. 

Spectacular way to seal the hat-trick from Lookman. Scorcher of a shot. 

Atalanta deserve this win. Outclassed Leverkusen everywhere on the pitch. Probably the last place you'd want this unbeaten run to come to an end. 

Feel like Leverkusen probably aren't going to win this one...

And there it is.

Leverkusen weren't bad, but Atalanta were just better, and they were just better everywhere on the pitch. Atalanta's first piece of silverware since '63 (Coppa Italia) and their first European trophy ever! Lookman was sensational, Ederson was a stalwart, and Musso in goal was merely there to watch it all play out. 

51 games unbeaten from Leverkusen is where the run ends. Can't take it away from them, they've been sensational this season. It'll be a "what if?" for a long time to come, but can still finish the season with a domestic double and domestically unbeatable season. Curious to see how they bounce back from this on the weekend and then next season. 

Think the shock here is that Leverkusen actually lost, but not really that Atalanta won. They've been long overdue some silverware given how they've been run and played for years now. Well deserved. Gasperini's been brilliant for them, come a very long way from his 5-game stint with Inter. 

Yeah, it was a phenomenal performance from Atalanta. Crazy that it's only their second ever major trophy, and Gasperini's first despite being 66. 

It's been doing the rounds the last couple of days, but now seems to be heading towards being official: Vincent Kompany is reportedly going to be the next manager of Bayern Munich, after being relegated from the Prem with Burnley. 

I know he had a fantastic season last year in the Championship, but this has got to be one of the biggest management leaps in recent times, surely? 

Really curious how far down Bayern's wishlist he was. They must've offered the job to at least 10 other managers before they got to Kompany, and I mean, understandably: who'd want the job right now? Seems a bit of a poisoned chalice where they aren't giving managers a great chance and their board and legends are mouthing off publicly. 

Good luck to him if it's made official. 

Strangest managerial appointment in the last 10 years. Where has that come from?! Unless they're just giving him the job while they wait for someone else to become available?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bob said:

Strangest managerial appointment in the last 10 years. Where has that come from?! Unless they're just giving him the job while they wait for someone else to become available?

They've been turned into a bit of a laughing stock after the way they've treated Tuchel (and rightly so), agreeing to parts way with months left of the season despite making it to the UCL semis, though their league form wasn't great the team has also been a jumbled mess in need of a reshuffle for a while now. 

Essentially, they wanted long-term options, and went window shopping mid-season: either Xabi or they wanted Nagelsmann to return. Xabi committed to a new contract, not getting distracted from the great season they were having and was keen on attempting to defend the title with Leverkusen; Nagelsmann re-upped his contract with Germany to 2026 just last month. 

This resulted in Bayern trying to take it all back and ask Tuchel to stay on, AFTER higher-ups and club legends had publicly shunned him. Yeah, Tuchel actually has a backbone, probably laughed at the idea and was committed to leaving at the end of the season. 

This has left Bayern scrambling in recent weeks, and they've been getting turned away by just about everyone: Tuchel is a UCL-winning manager who made it to the semis this year and despite a poor performance in the league this year, they did win the BuLi last year, yet was disrespected by the club, and so I imagine some higher level managers aren't willing to take that on; they're also known to be looking for younger, long-term managers (reportedly still keen on Xabi and Nagelsmann) and so anyone who comes in is only really guaranteed one season to prove themselves before they might try to be moved on.

So the board have needed to shuffle ideas around, and I guess the potential of Kompany, at a young age for a manager, and what he did at Burnley last season is on their minds – worst case it's a bad appointment, expectations may be lowered a bit externally to some degree, he gets sacked mid-season; expectation is probably that he has a solid season, wins some silverware to shore up his CV, but not enough to stay on, and they go after Xabi and Nagelsmann again next year; or he wows them and he's the young, long-term manager they wanted all along. I doubt Kompany was in their first 10 or even 15 calls made. 

All I'm saying is, they're called FC Hollywood for a reason, they never should've sacked Nagelsmann ::shrug: 

Personally I think they should've got Mourinho in with a fixed 2-year contract (because we all know what happens in Year 3), he would've injected some life into the Bundesliga and the squad, and I genuinely think he would've run riot with them. But alas, his stock is at an all-time low and no-one seems to trust him anymore; should've never gone to Spurs. 

Edited by Julius

Apparently Barça wanted to make sure that Bayern weren't the only 'FCB' getting all the attention for stupidity around their manager position, with Xavi now leaving at the end of the season. 

This comes following Xavi announcing his departure at the end of this season back in January, followed by murmurs and then confirmation less than 30 days ago that club president Laporta had convinced him to stay until the end of his contract in June 2025. Xavi is sticking to his original intent announced back in January to waive the remainder of his payment package, though his backroom staff will be getting their due compensation. 

Hansi Flick is believed to be the incoming manager, and would be only the second German manager for Barça after Udo Lattek took the reins back in the 80s. 

wth is going on with managers this year?! 

Anybody here who'll watch the CL final tonight?

I got nothing better to do, so I'll tune in.

Hoping for a close match but I fear it'll be an easy win for Madrid.

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Anybody here who'll watch the CL final tonight?

I got nothing better to do, so I'll tune in.

Hoping for a close match but I fear it'll be an easy win for Madrid.

Depends if they have it streaming for free. When BT had the rights the final was streamed live on YouTube for everyone to watch. I'm not sure if TNT Sports are as generous.

Hoping for an upset but can see Madrid bringing hone the trophy again.

I sat and watched the Lionesses game last night against France. They look so far removed from the team that they were a couple of years ago. I can't see them having the same amount of success in up and coming tournaments that they have in recent years.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Depends if they have it streaming for free. When BT had the rights the final was streamed live on YouTube for everyone to watch. I'm not sure if TNT Sports are as generous.

The CL final is not broadcast on free TV on your weird little Island? :p

We have a few television channels governed by public law and they usually broadcast all the big finals/events.

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

The CL final is not broadcast on free TV on your weird little Island? :p

We have a few television channels governed by public law and they usually broadcast all the big finals/events.

Had a quick Google and it looks like TNT aren't streaming it free on YouTube for everyone. So, no, it ain't free this year, which is hilarious considering it's being played over here.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Had a quick Google and it looks like TNT aren't streaming it free on YouTube for everyone. So, no, it ain't free this year, which is hilarious considering it's being played over here.

Crazy.

I mean, there are certain other ways to watch it :p

Looks like it's free to watch via discovery± and you just need to sign up for an account

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this