NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Nintendo Direct (14th September 2023 @ 15:00 BST)

All aboard the hype train! Focusing on games coming this winter:

Based on other Directs which have said they're focusing on a certain window...yeah, I'm sure we'll get some 2024 news :p

Excited to potentially hear more about Untitled Peach Game:laughing:

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 3

Honestly? A Switch 2 announcement here isn’t impossible.

I wouldn’t expect solid details, but an announcement of its existence and upcoming release next year is quite possible here I reckon.

Otherwise, I would expect Untitled Peach Game and the various NSO services to make up the bulk of this Direct, along with the next wave of GCN/Wii remasters (F-Zero GX & Paper Mario TTYD).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Honestly? A Switch 2 announcement here isn’t impossible.

I wouldn’t expect solid details, but an announcement of its existence and upcoming release next year is quite possible here I reckon.

Honestly, I agree that it's not impossible...but I also think there are more compelling reasons against them saying anything about it here compared to the reason for saying anything. 

I mean, if it's just an NX level of "yeah, it exists, and we'll have more news next year", I don't think it does anything all that positive for them. The devs trusted to come up with the goods in the Switch successor's launch window likely either have specs on hand already, or got to see the demo at Gamescom. Maybe for mid-tier and indie developers it could help to get word out, but then, I don't see them making any leaps substantial enough with it that would uproot any projects already in development for the current Switch. 

If anything, I think saying anything here could make people hesitate to buy a Switch over the holiday season. Why even consider the Mario Edition OLED when you could pocket that £300 towards your Switch 2 next year? They kind of had to give the vague NX answer because the Wii U flopped that hard and they had no other way to really spin that trainwreck, but I think the Switch has done so well - and continues to do so well - that I think they'd be getting in their own way. The Switch 2 is news you save for the end of March/start of April to make investors' ears perk up, I think it's mere mention - in any context - overshadows every other potential announcement tomorrow, bar an update on Prime 4 (not impossible) or a Mario Odyssey follow-up announcement (super, super unlikely). 

Then again: it's Nintendo. Let's not discount their ability to do things in weirdly wonderful ways that are totally illogical and still see them come out on top ::shrug:

Personally, I've said it before, but I think the closest you get to Switch 2 news here is a Prime 4 teaser to end the show on and saying that it's coming 'Late 2024'. Confirms it's coming to Switch still, but hints not-so-subtly that the Switch 2 is coming out in that window too, without actually needing to say it. 

15 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Otherwise, I would expect Untitled Peach Game and the various NSO services to make up the bulk of this Direct, along with the next wave of GCN/Wii remasters (F-Zero GX & Paper Mario TTYD).

Throw in another impossibly expensive game on the secondhand market like Path of Radiance and we have a deal :p

But for real, I hate that we can't get an Explorers of Sky remake announcement here. Urgh. 

So, instead, please just announce a remaster of Star Wars Battlefront II (which will also come to all other modern consoles), please and thank you :D

• Like 1

I can't really see Nintendo discussing the new console this side of Christmas. Could potentially lose themselves some sales if people know something is round the corner. 

nintendodirect14092023banner.620x0.webp

Nintendo Direct to be broadcast on 14/09/2023

Now up on the main page.

- - - - -

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Honestly, I agree that it's not impossible...but I also think there are more compelling reasons against them saying anything about it here compared to the reason for saying anything.

Yeah I can't make my mind up if they will say a single thing about the Switch 2. It stands to reason that they wouldn't want to effect sales of the Switch 1 this holiday season by announcing its follow up, but at the same time there's a chance we'll see something, like a small teaser of some kind at the very end of the Direct, but nothing major.

I don't know what to expect from the Direct itself regarding Switch 1 games, outside of the obvious stuff. Such as I think they'll probably show more of Mario RPG since that is out soon.

More details on the Princess Peach game that they revealed last time, as well as the Luigi's mansion 2 port. I think LM2 will have a date attached to it.

The final set of tracks and characters released for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's DLC/Booster Course Pass

Ghostbusters: Spirits unleashed is due out on switch this year but we don't have a date for it yet, I assume this Direct will have announce the date along with some footage.

Maybe those Wind Waker/Twlight Princess HD ports we kept hearing about get revealed. And Star Fox Zero port with normal controls with Star Fox Guard included.

Some new games added to NSO

Spoiler

Rumour has it that a new Mario vs Donkey Kong game is getting revealed

The other rumour is that a new game similar to Tetris 99 / Super Mario Bros 35 / Pacman 99. This rumor is off the back the fact that Pacman 99 is going to be de-listed in less then a months time and you already can no longer purchase the Deluxe version of it. The crazy rumour linked to this is that the next '99 style game is F-zero related

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Julius said:

Excited to potentially hear more about Untitled Peach Game:laughing:

How dare you!? It already has a title, we saw it in their lineup table.

It's called "Princess Peach will star as the main character in a brand new game"

Rolls right off the tongue.

• Haha 2

That's clearly a placeholder title. 

It'll be "Princess Peach is starring as the main character in a brand new game"

• Like 1

I'm surprised they announced that Peach game so early as to give us that placeholder name, it feels very pre-mature and Wii U-like to do that, like they're desperate to show us anything and everything they're making. But in this case they didn't have to as there's always tons of stuff coming out on Switch. In that direct they had Wonder! So yeah, just bizarre they didn't wait to reveal her game properly. 

Edited by Josh64
  • Thanks 1

Aight, wild predictions:

• DLC for Pikmin 4
  • Something from Grezzo. Their last work was Link's Awakening remake, right? I feel like it's time
  • Camelot will be shown to be cooking something
  • Dragon Quest III HD will finally resurface
  • Kid Icarus for Switch!
  • F-Zero will be mentioned!
  • Skies of Arcadia remastered!
  • MOLE MANIA, NINTENDO!

You know what? I'm going to sleep to reset my expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Josh64 said:

I'm surprised they announced that Peach game so early as to give us that placeholder name, it feels very pre-mature and Wii U-like to do that, like they're desperate to show us anything and everything they're making. But in this case they didn't have to as there's always tons of stuff coming out on Switch. In that direct they had Wonder! So yeah, just bizarre they didn't wait to reveal her game properly. 

Figured it was to ride the hype train of the movie

5 hours ago, Jonnas said:

"And now over to Miyamoto San with an update on a classic Nintendo franchise you've all been asking for"

Miyamoto: "Fuck F-Zero. Back to you"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Apparently a trademark for Golden Sun has been renewed, so fingers crossed!

I'm not expecting any announcement on Switch 2 (or whatever they'll call it) later.  They'll probably hinder any current Switch sales over the holiday period, especially with the new Mario OLED model out now.

Hopefully the rumoured Metroid Prime 2 and 3 remakes are incoming (possible shadow drop)

2 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Apparently a trademark for Golden Sun has been renewed, so fingers crossed!

Wouldn't that just be because it's coming to GBA NSO?

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Wouldn't that just be because it's coming to GBA NSO?

Shhh don't say such things.

Last chance guesses, which is mainly an enhanced look at what we already know about: 

• Princess Peaches Peaches PeachesPeachesPeaches

• Luigi’s Mansion 2

• Mario Wonder

• Mario RPG

• Glimpse at one new Mario Kart course in the final batch.

• Baiten Kaitos 1&2

• Silk Song

• One more thing: Zelda Wind Waker for 2024 (yep l hope not but expect them to release that and Twilight Princess separately).

Freaking FF Tactics bait lmao

EDIT: I take it back. Atlus/Vanillaware?! 

Edited by Julius

19 minutes ago, drahkon said:

So. Many. Remasters/remakes.

!

As usual: Thanks for announcing all the 3rd party games. :p

Pretty weak Direct 1st party wise for me, but it's been like that for years now, so that's ok. I probably won't borrow my mate's Switch for a while. He must be relieved :D

Now waiting for more 3rd party stuff to be announced later today :laughing:

Very very remake/remaster heavy Direct.  You can really tell that we’re coming to the end of the Switch’s lifecycle now.

At least everything looks great though!

Genuinely can't believe we're getting a full on remake of both Another Code games - absolutely incredible!

Princess Peach: Showtime looks great too, and I'll definitely be getting Thousand Year Door seeing as I've never played it before

F-Zero 99 is a genius idea, bit disappointed that it doesn't seem like you can barge into your opponents though

New Mario vs Donkey Kong looks cool too but I know absolutely nothing about that series

I still think they're going to announce that the first Luigi's Mansion is coming to Switch alongside LM2, will probably shadow drop it in a direct just before launch like they did with Pikmin 1 + 2

I thought it was an enjoyable direct on the whole, but there weren't any real surprises for me apart from Another Code & F-Zero 99

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't feel like there's much to really say. In for Thousand Year Door, have some interest in Another Code Recollection (just based on all the good things I've heard about the original games), but otherwise agree with the sentiment of @drahkon and @Dcubed: that was a LOT of remakes/remasters. 

And none of them were Explorers of Sky or Battlefront II, Takahashi, you heathen! 

Definitely winding down on the Switch, we have a lot on the way and I'm definitely picking and choosing battles - I think the only games I'm 100% on getting (Switch exclusive, at least) that's announced for the rest of its slate are Super Mario RPG and Thousand Year Door.

I've got other games to go back to, but honestly, 2023 has been STACKED and the first half of 2024 is already STACKED, so honestly, middling as I thought that Direct was, I'm kind of happy I'm not coming away with a long list of games to play for a change. 

I already have a long list of games to play.

Always have done. 

48mqsj.jpg?a470640

nintendodirect14092023roundupbanner.620x0.webp

Nintendo Direct to be broadcast on 14/09/2023

Up on the main page.

Formatted press release and video.

- - - - -

(F-Zero!) :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ashley said:

"And now over to Miyamoto San with an update on a classic Nintendo franchise you've all been asking for"

Miyamoto: "Fuck F-Zero. Back to you"

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle...

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

So. Many. Remasters/remakes.

Including a remake of the Direct towards the end of the Direct.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Aight, wild predictions:

• DLC for Pikmin 4
  • Something from Grezzo. Their last work was Link's Awakening remake, right? I feel like it's time
  • Dragon Quest III HD will finally resurface
  • Kid Icarus for Switch!
  • Skies of Arcadia remastered!
  • MOLE MANIA, NINTENDO!

You know what? I'm going to sleep to reset my expectations.

If I ever expected one thing to come true out of my prediction, it certainly wasn't that!

This was a weird Direct. There was nothing bad or boring about it, and every announcement had something interesting about it... But when you consider that the bulk of it were rereleases, ports, and remakes, it does leave a man wanting. I associate Directs with proper surprises, you know?

Anyway, my highlights:

• Princess Peach Showtime looks pretty good. I wonder if it'll feel like a novelty or like a game with a lot of depth, but in concept and aesthetics, it's already a winner;
  • SaGa Emerald Beyond caught my eye. Looks pretty decent and unique. I'll try to check reviews when it comes out;
  • Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered was not something I was ever expecting! I have them on GOG, so I'll likely not get this. What I'm happy about is the effort to preserve these classics;
  • Unicorn Overlord is a terrible title, but a fascinating-looking game. Just my type. I must consider it for sure;
  • Trombone Champ is a perfect fit for Switch, and I hope it takes off;
  • Dave the Diver I hadn't heard of before. Will try to learn more;
  • I am happy to finally have another opportunity to play Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. It was a glaring Gamecube gap in my bucket list;
  • F-Zero 99 makes me happy. I don't actually like the SNES game that much, but the fact that the franchise has a chance to gain fans is a legitimately positive thing. Plus, we're now one step closer to my dream game: F-Zero GX 30
  • Another Code Recollection got me legit emotional. I have so many questions, like, will the puzzles be similar? Is Cing back? Is there a team of developers willing to carry their torch? For now, I just greatly enjoyed the recreation of certain scenes, fully voiced.

So yeah, though it had some great stuff, I was just a tad underwhelmed by the whole package.

Sign in to follow this