NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario Bros. Wonder (20th October 2023)

This is weird, I got an email from the UK Nintendo store earlier saying that they were cancelling one of the pre-order bonuses - apparently they ran into production issues with the Elephant power up stress ball so they decided not to go through with making them. 

I'm actually a bit disappointed, I thought it would be a cool collectible to own

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

This is weird, I got an email from the UK Nintendo store earlier saying that they were cancelling one of the pre-order bonuses - apparently they ran into production issues with the Elephant power up stress ball so they decided not to go through with making them. 

I'm actually a bit disappointed, I thought it would be a cool collectible to own

I nearly switch my preorder when I saw they offered that, good job I didn't.

38 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

This guy's relatively new to voice acting.

Probably done through an audition process, congrats on landing such a humongous role to him.

That's really cool.  Crazy that it's only his 7th ever role!

Nintendo seem to have a bit of a knack for finding up & coming talent... he joins the likes of Xander Mobus and Adam Howden in that regard; and if their post-Nintendo discovery careers are anything to go by? Afghani has a hell of a future lined up for him :D

Reviews are in and they're looking pretty spectacular - currently sitting at a 93 on Metacritic and 92 on Opencritic. 

Don't know when I'll get around to playing this, but man, what a fantastic year it's been for new releases. We've been absolutely spoiled rotten in 2023 :laughing:

• Like 1

My mate coming in clutch with his local store breaking the streetdate by a lot.
He's also very busy with work so I took advantage and stole borrowed his stuff :)

4 hours in: It's pretty, it's smooth, it's Mario.

So far, nothing truly special, though. The Wonder Flowers have been hit or miss. Some are cool, some are just...meh.

What I like: Some levels off the beaten path are on a more difficult side, which I appreciate as all the recent Mario games have been piss easy. I actually lost 6 lives on one level :p

If anything, this is a good time waster before Spider-Man 2 arrives :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I've done an abridged article featuring all of the best quotes and info from all 4 parts, in one neat package. It's on our front page now, with a new trailer and a couple of Nintendo Twitter images thrown in the mix!

https://www.n-europe.com/news/ask-the-developer-super-mario-bros-wonder/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, drahkon said:

So far, nothing truly special, though. The Wonder Flowers have been hit or miss. Some are cool, some are just...meh.

How are the talking flowers? I vibe that I was getting from the trailers et al was they would be annoying as fuck

28 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

How are the talking flowers? I vibe that I was getting from the trailers et al was they would be annoying as fuck

People seem to love 'em. I hate 'em.
You can turn off their annoying ways, though, so that's good.

Completed world 3. Nintendo and uninspired + repeating bosses, name a more iconic duo (or rather trio).

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Completed world 3. Nintendo and uninspired + repeating bosses, name a more iconic duo (or rather trio).

It’s a 2D Mario game, you aren’t playing it for the bosses.

Always felt a bit weird to me that Mario games never really prioritise their boss encounters like most other Nintendo action games do, but there ya go.

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

I unintentionally watched a Spanish gameplay video a week or so ago so maybe that's what you do; set the language to a different one so it feels more like just being abroad and not knowing what's going on.

Not like you need to follow the story in a Mario game anyway.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Josh64 said:

I've done an abridged article featuring all of the best quotes and info from all 4 parts, in one neat package. It's on our front page now, with a new trailer and a couple of Nintendo Twitter images thrown in the mix!

https://www.n-europe.com/news/ask-the-developer-super-mario-bros-wonder/

Handy!

Between the Ellie-fication of Mario and saying they wanted to have something in every level to surprise and delight is setting some lofty DKC 3 expectations here.

7 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

In the article, it says they hope you resonate with what the flowers say and the option to turn off the chatter is in there but they still hope you'll give it a listen. So you know what to do.

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

It’s a 2D Mario game, you aren’t playing it for the bosses.

Always felt a bit weird to me that Mario games never really prioritise their boss encounters like most other Nintendo action games do, but there ya go.

hqdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=9613caa079c

Got my copy in this morning. I'll start it up just for the points and maybe go through a few levels but i'm focusing on other games at the moment.

Oh, so there is an online with friends option! That's cool!

Welp, anyone want me to tag along, give me a shout if you see me online.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Handy!

Between the Ellie-fication of Mario and saying they wanted to have something in every level to surprise and delight is setting some lofty DKC 3 expectations here.

In the article, it says they hope you resonate with what the flowers say and the option to turn off the chatter is in there but they still hope you'll give it a listen. So you know what to do.

hqdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=9613caa079c

There’s a reason why Yoshi’s Island became its own series… its bosses were too good ;)

Oh, so there is an online with friends option! That's cool!

Welp, anyone want me to tag along, give me a shout if you see me online

Talk about burying the led here! Why keep this a pre-release secret?

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

There’s a reason why Yoshi’s Island became its own series… its bosses were too good ;)

Talk about burying the led here! Why keep this a pre-release secret?

I like to bish bash bosh bosses and move on but if someone would prefer something more complex, especially in the modern day, that's not unfair. Like, it's a 2D Mario, you aren't playing it for the online. 

Love a Digital Foundry tech review, so here's theirs for Wonder:

Spoiler: it's glowing :peace:

9 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Like, it's a 2D Mario, you aren't playing it for the online. 

Don't knock it, it runs flawlessly. Also, other players don't have a direct influence on the levels.

It makes for a more dynamic game here. I've been having randoms throughout, and it's a lot of fun! Also feels good to help those who struggle a bit, I don't need the spare item anyway.

This game is glorious! :):bouncy::yay:

Love the little screenshots it does after each stage (already have some classics :laughing:) shame they don't appear to be saved in the Switch's album though (I've been manually taking captures to save them) or is there an option to enable that somewhere? :blank:

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Don't knock it, it runs flawlessly. Also, other players don't have a direct influence on the levels.

It makes for a more dynamic game here. I've been having randoms throughout, and it's a lot of fun! Also feels good to help those who struggle a bit, I don't need the spare item anyway.

Yeah, I managed to help someone find a hidden block/vine that they were obviously struggling with by just jumping up and down directly underneath it while using the greetings feature. :D

Other players shadows have also helped me out several times too. It's a simple system, but it works very well. :cool:

• Thanks 1

Looks like I've finally bought one of Nintendo's 2023 Switch games. Seems great. Thought I'd spied a bit you'd need to come back to with a later badge so I went for a shell jump and hit my head on an invisible block. That'll do the job. :laughing: 

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Easy there. Not knocking its inclusion.

Sign in to follow this