NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario Bros. Wonder (20th October 2023)

Yeah it's probably best he goes out in his own terms otherwise he could end up like Julie Kavner (please, just let her rest!) 

Interesting they've gone for new actor(s?) right away. They've got enough of a sound bank and some voice clips from 20 years ago are still used, but maybe they're saying some new things in Wonder.

If anyone is interested Thomas Games Docs on YouTube has a series of videos about changes to voice actors (and also where different people have been used like in cartoons and that). 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Yeah it's probably best he goes out in his own terms otherwise he could end up like Julie Kavner (please, just let her rest!) 

Interesting they've gone for new actor(s?) right away. They've got enough of a sound bank and some voice clips from 20 years ago are still used, but maybe they're saying some new things in Wonder.

If anyone is interested Thomas Games Docs on YouTube has a series of videos about changes to voice actors (and also where different people have been used like in cartoons and that). 

Mario is an odd thing in that Nintendo have always recorded new clips for each and every game; alongside reusing old voice clips.

They could easily have gotten away with just reusing voice clips from their vault years ago and yet they keep recording new lines.

I don't see them stopping any time soon.  Though it is a shame that we'll never get to see Martinet do another fully voice acted Wario game again... Wario Ware Gold was so good!!

Edited by Dcubed

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Mario is an odd thing in that Nintendo have always recorded new clips for each and every game; alongside reusing old voice clips.

Didn't know that. How wasteful. 

I'd be amused if they hired a European to voice him so he could say Mario correctly after all these years. 

Thankfully, the likes of Chris Pratt are too expensive for the average video game, so I'm not worried on that front.

There's not a lot to go on from the SMB Wonder Trailer, but what little is there sounds somewhat like Mario, so here's hoping it pans out.

15 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

I'm going to assume they have enough soundbites that they can use of him doing Mario for a time being in any upcoming games. If not, I guess they will either have an alternative VA already in the works that can imitate the voice, or Mario will suddenly change to using another random language or dialect in all games.

In the industry it's called "Doing an Earl-Jones"

19 hours ago, Julius said:

There's no way Nintendo are going to resort to using the existing sound files they have as input for AI to voice Mario...right? @RedShell seems to be a fan of the idea (I mean I'm not totally against it, it would go further in immortalising Martinet's voice if the AI were to be generated using his voice, even more so if they credited the AI voice as being based on Charles Martinet's) but I imagine that would cause a lot of heated debate, especially if they did make the change for a game releasing in a few months and not whatever's next for everyone's favourite plumber. As if we need further heated AI debates!

I mean as long as it were all agreed upon beforehand and Martinet was also happy for his voice to continue being used in that specific way (which based on how he comes across in interviews and how proud he seems to be of playing the role/s, I reckon he would be) then yeah, don’t see the problem. ::shrug:

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

I mean as long as it were all agreed upon beforehand and Martinet was also happy for his voice to continue being used in that specific way (which based on how he comes across in interviews and how proud he seems to be of playing the role/s, I reckon he would be) then yeah, don’t see the problem. ::shrug:

I mean, yeah, I'm with you. For me this is one of those rare instances where I might prefer it over a recast, especially if Martinet continues to get his due after the AI would hypothetically take over. They've done it for James Earl Jones with Vader's voice already, so why not cement Martinet's as Mario for all time? Totally with you :peace:

I think for me it's more the way it would look in the current climate, and just the idea of the timing of it. Announcing a potential VA job - for maybe one of the most recognisable "voices" in gaming at that? - going to AI and retiring a veteran who has played him for decades at the same time, while strikes are going on around regulating AI's impact on and utilisation in creative media, would seem very tone deaf. 

Though honestly the extent of that hypothetical but totally plausible tone deafness is honestly a very compelling argument for Nintendo doing exactly that :laughing:

In fairness the strikes issue with AI is it's use to do the initial work and expect others to tidy up (in the case of writers) and as far as replacement it's being unfairly compensated (at the moment they get paid a day and no royalties no matter it's usage). 

I would expect an agreement for suitable compensation for any studio time (whether they'd need it in this case is unclear) and loyalties for every usage would be okay with the union. Although I suspect this wouldn't be covered by those on strike as I doubt SAG covers video game voice over. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Julius said:

I think for me it's more the way it would look in the current climate, and just the idea of the timing of it. Announcing a potential VA job - for maybe one of the most recognisable "voices" in gaming at that? - going to AI and retiring a veteran who has played him for decades at the same time, while strikes are going on around regulating AI's impact on and utilisation in creative media, would seem very tone deaf. 

Though honestly the extent of that hypothetical but totally plausible tone deafness is honestly a very compelling argument for Nintendo doing exactly that :laughing:

Oh, I see.
Yeah, don't think Nintendo would be particularly aware of or bothered by any of that, at least not in Japan. NoA/E might get their knickers in a twist over it though. :heh:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

In fairness the strikes issue with AI is it's use to do the initial work and expect others to tidy up (in the case of writers) and as far as replacement it's being unfairly compensated (at the moment they get paid a day and no royalties no matter it's usage). 

I would expect an agreement for suitable compensation for any studio time (whether they'd need it in this case is unclear) and loyalties for every usage would be okay with the union. Although I suspect this wouldn't be covered by those on strike as I doubt SAG covers video game voice over. 

Yeah, I'm aware of what the strikes issue has to do with; and no, I think you're right, I don't believe SAG-AFTRA covers video game voice actors (though obviously many of them being voice actors in other mediums there are no doubt a good number of them impacted by the strikes). From what I can find after a quick search, current VA contracts in games (interactive media) seem to include a no-strike clause? Which, uh, okay I'm sure they'll circle back to that at some point, it's only the largest entertainment industry :laughing: anyways, yeah, the Guilds are going after Hollywood, not games, 100%. 

I feel like it's being taken that I'm saying they shouldn't because it would fly directly in the face of something going on in the gaming space, which I'm not. I think if they were to do it then it's a way to keep Mario's voice as it has been for as long as I've been alive, and so long as Martinet is fairly compensated in such a hypothetical case as this one and gave his express permission to do so, then I say go for it. The alternative is they just try to replicate his voice anyways, and what, they get some VA to replicate his voice and he lives and works in Martinet's shadow any way? The Luigi to Martinet's Mario? The thought of that just kind of sucks. 

My point, and what I'm saying about doing that now, is that it's simply not great optics, from a business perspective - regardless of whether or not the Guilds are beefing with the games industry, which they aren't - when there are discussions going on in an industry very similar and adjacent to the gaming industry about the use of AI. While the focus in the strikes focus primarily on other areas of its use, AI has been a burning red hot topic for the last 12 months across almost every creative space. 

I'm not saying blowback in the case of Martinet being compensated fairly in such a hypothetical situation  as the one we've outlined would actually be fair, but I'm saying it would almost certainly lead to blowback, because the internet swarm and the public at large tends to conflate everything, to the point that I genuinely think if an otter started flawlessly singing show tunes from the 60s wouldn't be seen as funny but offensive and outdated, and pitchforks would be raised. 

Oh yeah the vibes wouldn't be great right now but then Stephen Amell broke the strike and survived so they could weather it if they really wanted. 

I get a sense that at the moment they are happy with getting a new actor in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Julius said:

Yeah, I'm aware of what the strikes issue has to do with; and no, I think you're right, I don't believe SAG-AFTRA covers video game voice actors (though obviously many of them being voice actors in other mediums there are no doubt a good number of them impacted by the strikes). From what I can find after a quick search, current VA contracts in games (interactive media) seem to include a no-strike clause? Which, uh, okay I'm sure they'll circle back to that at some point, it's only the largest entertainment industry :laughing: anyways, yeah, the Guilds are going after Hollywood, not games, 100%.

SAGAFTRA does indeed cover video game voice actors, and they did organise an industry-wide strike in 2016-2017.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

SAGAFTRA does indeed cover video game voice actors, and they did organise an industry-wide strike in 2016-2017.

Thanks for that, I stand corrected :peace: seems like I've got somethinh I can get to reading up on this weekend! 

Ben Starr, the voice of Clive in Final Fantasy XVI, has put his name forward as the next voice of Mario...

He's got my vote :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And based on people I know; he's got the vote of thirsty gays too. 

On 8/24/2023 at 9:49 AM, Julius said:

Ben Starr, the voice of Clive in Final Fantasy XVI, has put his name forward as the next voice of Mario...

He's got my vote :laughing:

The rest of the XVI cast started to get in on this too! 

:laughing:

• Like 1

Treehouse footage:

Completely flew under the radar, for me at least, that there was one! 

• Like 1

Bloody hell... There was so much information in that Wonder Direct, I'm curious is there anything they haven't spoiled.

That aside:

Bowser gets a Wonder Flower = fuses with a big ass castle (which I'm sure will have Neo in its name somewhere)

Mario et al get a Wonder Flower = pipes go wiggly.

Ah'mazin.

On 07/09/2023 at 8:11 PM, Ike said:

I don’t think that answered anything.

I agree, and put my thoughts in this other thread. Acknowledging his contribution is lovely and the right thing to do, but I thought they could have put together a more impressive video package, representative of his work and the importance of being the voice of one of gamings most iconic mascot and it’s influence.

Previews so far for Wonder have been wildly impressive from what I’ve seen and read.  It sounds as though journalists have had around a hour with the game in a selection of levels, and so far so positive.

The Japanese Nintendo YouTube channel uploaded some new video's for this game in the past 24 hours

I like how Yoshi has accepted his fate in the first thumbnail

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this