Sign in to follow this  
S.C.G

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

princeofpersiathelostcrownbanner.620x0.webp

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown announced for Switch

Now up on the main page.

Overview and trailer.

- - - - -

I still remember playing the original Prince of Persia on the Sega Mega-CD many years ago...

Then there was the Sands of Time reboot on the GameCube...

And... various other reboots since then.

This latest title seems to take the basic idea of the original, but with more of a focus on retaining some of the best bits of the modern games.

Plus it seems to have more of a modern Metroidvania feel to it, rather than the deliberate, slow pace of the first game from decades ago.

Honestly? The Metroidvania approach is a good idea for Prince of Persia. It could totally work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Honestly? The Metroidvania approach is a good idea for Prince of Persia. It could totally work.

Oh yeah, definitely.

I was just comparing it to the original, in case there's anyone who only has the original game as a frame of reference... which is, unlikely but possible.

This new game going for a Metroidvania style is probably what the series needs at this point.

But if anyone has only played the modern Prince of Persia games, I'd say it's still worth checking out the original, if only to see how much the series has changed...

...mostly for the better.

The fall deaths in the original Prince of Persia are still hilarious though, especially when you accidentally land on a floor switch at the same time.

Here's a compilation from the original 1989 release, the Mega CD version is more amusing, but I can't find a compilation without music played over the top of it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks promising.  Previews are pretty glowing too...

Supposedly Switch is the lead platform, and the game runs at a proper 60FPS in both docked and handheld mode.

Let's hope it ends up good :)

• Like 1

Man, I remember playing the original Prince of Persia on a floppy disk. I really should give the series its proper shake, one of these days.

As for the new game... I hate the main character's design, but love everything else.

• Thanks 1

It looks like it's relying more on fast paced combat moreso than exploration, which for me is the more important aspect of the Metroidvania experience, which concerns me a little as it shows promise, but if it's primarily a hack n' slash game, I doubt I'll invest.

Leaked ahead of the TGAs, but it's official now: arriving January 18th, with a free demo dropping January 11th. 

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is coming to Nintendo Switch on January 18, 2024.

Dash into a stylish and thrilling action-adventure platformer set in a mythological Persian world where the boundaries of time and space are yours to manipulate. Play as Sargon and evolve from sword-wielding prodigy to extraordinary legend as you master acrobatic combat and unlock new Time Powers and unique super abilities.

Start forging your path through time-corrupted Persia with the FREE demo, available January 11, 2024.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

World trailer: 

Reminder that this is out in just two weeks! 

Looking forward to getting this at half price in four week's time! :D

• Haha 1

Yup, deffo giving that a try. It looks promising. All it needs is to not have stealth sections commandeer half the game, and it's already better then Metroid Dread.

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Demo is available now :peace:

Only in America, it seems. Just checked.

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Only in America, it seems. Just checked.

It's already up on PlayStation over here, so I'm guessing someone over our side of the pond at Ninty has forgot to press the button :p I just checked the eShop myself and it showed the demo tab over the game, but then it vanished when I opened it up. 

I'm sure it'll be sorted in a bit :peace:

Anyways, reviews for the game are dropping and it's currently at an 87 on both OpenCritic and Metacritic. Some reviews:

Seems like we've got our first great game of the year already (on paper, at least :p)

That demo + review drop combo is spicy, love to see it! 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Man, this game feels great to control, so easy to look swag!

That said, I kept getting hit all the time. That parry window is tight!

There's loads of advanced movement tech that the demo never tells you. It's fantastic!

Yeah, I'm very impressed with what I've seen from the demo.  Level design looks real solid, movement tech is ridiculous, the enemy patterns are also very impressive with lots of variety and lots of unexpected environmental interactivity; and most importantly? It passes the Chris Seavor test! Looks to be a proper quality title :D

Edited by Dcubed

New update brings Permadeath mode, Speedrun mode and more:

Game is now on sale in Europe.  40% off on the eShop.

And now it's mine.

• Thanks 1

Heard the demo required a Ubisoft account login. Is that true for the full game?

21 minutes ago, Ike said:

Heard the demo required a Ubisoft account login. Is that true for the full game?

Sucks if it does.

I'm getting sick of stuff like this. At the end of last year I returned Street Fighter 6 because you couldn't play the game without signing up to some Capcom portal type thingy. Ridiculous. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Ike said:

I deffo don't have an Ubisoft account and I played the demo...

EDIT: Yep. I'm right. You can skip that by saying "Maybe Later" but apparently, that only works on the Switch version.

Portability coming in clutch, and I played it docked!

Edited by Glen-i

Posted (edited)

And as soon as I buy the Switch version, the EGS PC version immediately gets 3D Ultra support for the Spatiallabs 3D display...

FFS...

Edited by Dcubed

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

And as soon as I buy the Switch version, the EGS PC version immediately gets 3D Ultra support for the Spatiallabs 3D display...

FFS...

If you bought a physical copy you could have just sent it back. :p

Put an hour or so into this, yesterday evening. Pretty fun so far. I love how fast and fluid the movement is. Makes for a very pleasant experience when zooming around the map, even more so now that I've unlocked air dash.

I was thinking about Metroidvania type games when playing this and there's nothing more satisfying about them than unlocking either the air dash or double jump moves. Makes traversal so much more fun.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

If you bought a physical copy you could have just sent it back. :p

Well at least I'll have a version that won't require any sort of silly Ubisoft always online DRM login bullshit I suppose.

But yeah... I can't say no to playing this game in S3D, it's gonna look tits! :D

Put an hour or so into this, yesterday evening. Pretty fun so far. I love how fast and fluid the movement is. Makes for a very pleasant experience when zooming around the map, even more so now that I've unlocked air dash.

I was thinking about Metroidvania type games when playing this and there's nothing more satisfying about them than unlocking either the air dash or double jump moves. Makes traversal so much more fun.

Yup.  Jump powerups are always the best!

Edited by Dcubed

Sign in to follow this