NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

I'm so happy I ruined Mario Golf!

A few more moments. Bottom left is the better screen for this one.

Top left for this next one.

And one that never gets old.

EDIT: Gonna repost BowserBasher's tweets so they don't get lost on the previous page.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Ashley said:

Much like #susanalbumparty

Red Sus GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

10 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

@Glen-i, @Dcubed and myself had an impromptu N64 evening of gaming.

So I'd put some charge into my N64 controller and there was a slot going begging? :cry: 

44 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

So I'd put some charge into my N64 controller and there was a slot going begging? :cry: 

Yeah, sorry. We were waiting for S.C.G so we could carry on with our Mario Party-a-thon, so we started playing some Slappers Only, License to Kill Goldeneye (The only way I truly enjoy Goldeneye) while we waited, but he kinda blanked on the occasion and we ended up going through a whole slew of games on a spur of the moment.

Tell you what though, next time there's a Friday where our usual 4 can't make it for Mario Party 3, why not join me on another N64 multiplayer journey? I'm sure @BowserBasher and @S.C.G would be up for it, and it's more likely then you think with Dcubed's uncertain work schedule.

I'll be sure to remember to give you some warning before hand so you can charge your controller again.

• Thanks 1

“Sarah Hill takes second place”, “Sarah Hill is way behind”, “Sarah Hill is in the lead” 😂 dammit commentator which is it 

• Haha 1

It appears JFG is a bit borked at the moment.

Hopefully this will be fixed before it releases over here. 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It appears JFG is a bit borked at the moment.

Hopefully this will be fixed before it releases over here. 

I’ll have to double check on my original N64 cart when I get home, but I believe that JFG only had a letterbox widescreen mode originally (as opposed to the anamorphic widescreen mode used in Goldeneye, PD and Banjo Tooie); meaning that this is being emulated correctly on Switch NSO.

24 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I’ll have to double check on my original N64 cart when I get home, but I believe that JFG only had a letterbox widescreen mode originally (as opposed to the anamorphic widescreen mode used in Goldeneye, PD and Banjo Tooie); meaning that this is being emulated correctly on Switch NSO.

If that is the case, they could at least update for this so it doesn't look squashed.

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The way it originally worked would be a letter box within a 4:3 screen, while the NSO does that but also automatically stretches it sideways so the 4:3 picture is stretched to a 16:9 picture.

They should either keep it at 4:3 with the letter box, or stretch it both ways to fill the screen - just stretching it sideways distorts the image. 

Harvest Moon 64, 1080° Snowboarding and Jet Force Gemini arrive on the service – today!

A cornucopia of classic Nintendo 64 games are back in season! Farm and find love in the cozy Harvest Moon 64 game, shred some snow in 1080° Snowboarding and thwart an interstellar threat in Jet Force Gemini.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Couldn't have released any of them earlier throughout the year no? You know, instead of having a massive N64 drought and then just dumping everything right at the end?

Ahh well.  At least they've finally gotten through that initial promise now.

Bring on Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Smash 64, DK64, CBFD, Killer Instinct Gold, Blast Corps, Mickey's Speedway USA and Perfect Dark :D

• Like 2

Harvest Moon 64! I've wanted to play that for decades.

Are there any more extreme sports games left to bring over? All I have in my head is Snowboard Kids

6 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Are there any more extreme sports games left to bring over? All I have in my head is Snowboard Kids

There are only 5 English language first party N64 games left to release...

Super Smash Bros
Cruis'n USA
Cruis'n Exotica
Cruis'n World
Hey You Pikachu! (Won't happen because Switch lacks a microphone)

... so if you count the Cruis'n games as extreme sports... maybe?

3rd party wise, only other options are Tony Hawks 1-3 (will never happen due to crazy licensing) and Snowboard Kids 1 & 2 (not impossible, but requires SEGA/Atlus to play ball).

8 hours ago, Dcubed said:

There are only 5 English language first party N64 games left to release...

Hold up, where does Donkey Kong 64 lie then? I know it's made by Rare, but surely it's like Donkey Kong Country, and Ninty have full rights to it?

EDIT: Ah right, yeah. I just remembered. It has a playable Jetpac in it. Never mind!

Of course, NSO is better off without that pile of crap, but still.

Edited by Glen-i

9 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Extreme-G! ...apparently comes under the futuristic racer category.

15 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Extreme-G! ...apparently comes under the futuristic racer category.

Ooooh and Wip3out

Played a bit of JFG today. Yeah, the controls take a bit of getting used to. It's the aiming that I find annoying. It's far too sensitive and lining up accurate shots is a pain in the butt. You move it ever so slightly and it goes all over the place.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Played a bit of JFG today. Yeah, the controls take a bit of getting used to. It's the aiming that I find annoying. It's far too sensitive and lining up accurate shots is a pain in the butt. You move it ever so slightly and it goes all over the place.

So true, And I can't seem to find out what the different control schemes are? If you go into the setting and controls, there are four option for controls but they don't seem to do anything.

10 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

So true, And I can't seem to find out what the different control schemes are? If you go into the setting and controls, there are four option for controls but they don't seem to do anything.

The four options represent different controllers. There are only 2 control options. Just press left or right to change from expert to normal controls.

To be honest there's not much difference. I went with normal because I prefer jumping with the press of a button rather than flicking the stick up.

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2023 at 8:54 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

The four options represent different controllers. There are only 2 control options. Just press left or right to change from expert to normal controls.

To be honest there's not much difference. I went with normal because I prefer jumping with the press of a button rather than flicking the stick up.

I have only played through the first level and spent most of my time trying to figure out a good control setup. I had an idea for what I wanted to do with it but quickly realised it just wasn't possible 🥲

Like you, I had went with 'normal' due to being able to press a button to jump but then you can't move your character when aiming your weapon, as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have on the game overall!

Right, Friday's free for me, and seeing how much I enjoyed it last time, I want to do an N64 muliplayer session again.

I'm gonna mention @darksnowman, as he expressed intest in joining in.

Simply put, from 8pm. I, and hopefully three other losers, will be taking a road trip around the NSO app, playing a bunch of 4 player multiplayer games.
What games? No idea. Got no concrete plan. Open to suggestions, but make sure it is a 4 player game.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Send me a join request if there's a slot going.

Five set, six games, star players Mario Tennis matches.

That's a long game. But assuming the other two participants are fine with it, then OK.

Don't think I have every character starred though...