NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

After two weeks of going out every night for one reason or another, today will be the first day/evening I'll spend at home. What better time to start playing a "new" game.

After the absolute disappointment that was FFXVI, I decided to go with Eldest Souls.

Added to PS+ Extra in October 2023, this is - unsurprisingly -  a souls-like game :p  And apparently it focuses on bosses. So far I've encountered two (and no other enemies) and the second one kicks my ass because I have to get used to dodging not cancelling animations...so far combat plays out like this:

1. run around and memorize enemies' attacks
  2. wait for enemies' attacks to be over
  3. attack the enemy

This could become boring very quickly...but I'm gonna keep going to see more of the game to make more of an informed decision on whether I'll continue playing :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bob said:
21 hours ago, lostmario said:
I'm trying to justify buying a Playstation 5 but like the Switch for many many many years, until there is at least 5 games I want to play on it, I can't.
I can only think of 3 games I want for it. Spider-man 2, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Robocop Rogue City. Am I missing any?
Note: I have God of War: Ragnarok, Horizon: Forbidden West & Spider-man: Miles Morales on the PS4. No interest in the Last of Us remakes / remasters.

Maybe Baldurs Gate 3? Supposed to be very good, but it's not a PS exclusive. Depends on whether you already have a next gen console or a good PC.

As below, RPGs aren't really my thing so doesn't really interest me.

21 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth? 

Probably not worth it seeing as you are still getting a lot of mileage out of your PS4. A lot of stuff has been cross gen and that looks to continue this year.

Sorry, I had a power cut last night just as I was going to reply to you.

While I enjoyed FF7 Remake, I'm not really into my RPGs so it's not a system seller for me.

Probably hold off until Nintendo have revealed the Switch U then make a decision then but by then Sony will have probably revealed the PS5 Pro and I'll be back to square one on whether to pull the trigger or not.

Sorry, I had a power cut last night just as I was going to reply to you.
While I enjoyed FF7 Remake, I'm not really into my RPGs so it's not a system seller for me.
Probably hold off until Nintendo have revealed the Switch U then make a decision then but by then Sony will have probably revealed the PS5 Pro and I'll be back to square one on whether to pull the trigger or not.
How about Returnal, Deathloop and Assassin's Creed Mirage? I haven't played AC Mirage yet but Returnal is excellent and Deathloop was very good.

20 hours ago, drahkon said:

combat plays out like this:

1. run around and memorize enemies' attacks
  2. wait for enemies' attacks to be over
  3. attack the enemy

This could become boring very quickly

Yup. Deleted it.

Gonna give A Plague Tale: Innonce another chance now that the sequel is on PS+ now, too.

• Haha 1

2.6 million PS5 units were sold in Japan in 2023, the most units a PlayStation console has sold in the country in 20 years:

Pretty insane stuff, all things considered. Wonder if that's a case of big names like Final Fantasy making it to the system (where the hell is DQ?!) or if Japan became less of a focus during the shortage and they're only catching up now?

But either way, pretty good news for PS in Japan. Makes it even more of a shame/stupid that you shut down Japan Studio, though :p

A Plague Tale: Innocence

Well, well, well, look who showed up in chapter 3: Apparently supernatural, infinitely hungry mega rats which can eat a human being in 3 seconds but take literally forever to eat ham.

Soooo...this isn't as grounded as I thought it would be. I'll hold off on any judgement until later, though. For now I'll roll with it. Don't see how varied the game will be with those rat moments, though.

Also: If anything happens to Hugo, I will burn my PS5.

• Haha 1

An interview popped up yesterday with Sony's CEO and he was quizzed about gaming streaming services.

People usually play 1 game at a time, so an all you can eat type of many games may not be so valuable compared with video streaming services. We have a balanced/hybrid service on PSN, subscription as well as pay per content

The man has a point. You compare just how long it takes to watch a movie or TV episode to playing a game and there's a big difference in the time it takes. You could watch multiple things in the time it takes to play a single game.

What he mentions is usually how I tend to play games. At all the time but mostly. It always baffles me when I see people running out of space on their consoles. Just how many games you you playing at once? :D

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

An interview popped up yesterday with Sony's CEO and he was quizzed about gaming streaming services.

The man has a point. You compare just how long it takes to watch a movie or TV episode to playing a game and there's a big difference in the time it takes. You could watch multiple things in the time it takes to play a single game.

What he mentions is usually how I tend to play games. At all the time but mostly. It always baffles me when I see people running out of space on their consoles. Just how many games you you playing at once? :D

I think its an older generation minset (and yes I know you are also part of that older gen 😜). I always liked to be able to bounce between different games whenever I wanted, then usually have a bigger one on the go. Always amazes me looking at the younger gen now and my nephew, how they have one or maybe two games they play then thats it. To the point where if I give him something else to play he can sometimes struggle with the controls or knowing what to do. Nothing like when I played and everything was fair game.

• Like 1

Seems increasingly likely that we'll see a State of Play in the next couple of weeks, as was expected. 

Yesterday, billbill-kun posted that the full title for Death Stranding 2 would be "Death Stranding 2: On the Beach":

And today, they posted that a new version of Until Dawn is on its way to PS5 and PC:

It's the 30th anniversary of PlayStation this year, and we know very little (if anything) about their current first-party plans, so I look forward to seeing their approach for the year – and to seeing if there is indeed a State of Play just around the bend. 

I want more games to get hyped about, damn it!! :p

Until Dawn makes sense as I think a movie version was just announced as well.

Whohoo, Balatro has been announced for PS5 (20th of February).

Day one!

Any interest in an original Sony Playstation 5 Disc Version which is brand new, it has just been taken out of the box, placed on top of an Xbox One, where it has collected some dust for about half a year, and hasn't been connected to power?

It comes with a code for God of War: Ragnarok and I'll sell it with any of the following games...

• Alex Kidd in Miracle World
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edtion
  • Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragon
  • Hades
  • Initial Drift: Twilight Rivals Edition
  • NFS Unbound
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
  • R-Type Final 3 Evolved
  • Raiden III x Mikado Maniax
  • Raiden IV x Mikado remix
  • Sonic Frontiers
  • Sonic Origins Plus
  • Sonic Superstars
  • Soph Star (limited release)
  • Stray
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Tactics Ogre: Reborn
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge
  • Tekken 8 Launch Edition
  • The King of Fighters XV
  • Vengeful Guardian:Moonrider

I thought I'd offer it here, before putting it up on eBay, as it might be of interest to someone, and although I bought it for whatever price six months ago, it seems to have kept its value, but I'll let it for for a reasonable price, I know some of the games will have depreciated, except for Soph Star and the very recently released Tekken 8.

It comes with a 1TB SSD, an extra contrioller, the one which came with the console is white, the extra controller is black, plus a controller charging stand.

I'll even consider part-cash, part-trade, so if you have any saleable retro games that you don't want, those could be factored in, as I know that I could sell them, even if they aren't fantastic titles, they all have a value.

I barely have enough time to play the few Switch games that I play every week, so this is the right decision for me, and it could be a decent purchase for either someone here, or some random person on eBay... though I'd be more inclined to do a better deal here of course.

PM me if you're interested. :peace:

Edit - I've just checked all of the prices... there's well over £1k worth of console, games and accessories there, even taking into account the slight depreciation on some games, though most either held their value or went up slightly... If anyone wanted everything, I'd let it all go for around £1k... either cash, or cash plus trades, that'd be the N-E discount price, otherwise, I'll list it all, and make back around £1k plus £150 after reduced fees on eBay.

Edited by S.C.G

Rumours are flying around that a SoP will be shown this week. 

Spoiler

Rise of the Ronin
Death Stranding 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Sonic Generations Remaster
Silent Hill 2
New Metro game
Judas

If true, nothing really interesting for me there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Rumours are flying around that a SoP will be shown this week. 

Rumoured List (Hide contents)

Rise of the Ronin
Death Stranding 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Sonic Generations Remaster
Silent Hill 2
New Metro game
Judas

If true, nothing really interesting for me there.

Yeah, out of the new stuff listed there's nothing of any real interest for me either, and the games showing up which aren't new are ones I've already made my mind up on. 

Spoiler

Rise of the Ronin - I'm already in. All I want is confirmation on whether or not there's a character creator. 

Death Stranding 2 - I'll be in...after I go back to and play the first one? And I have no idea when that'll be. Kojima trailers are always cool if completely out of left field, though, so I'd like to see the new trailer and if it gives an idea of what might be different this time around. Also curious what this would mean for a rough release window? 

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - demo announcement maybe? But otherwise I'm already in, so...

shut-up-take-my-money.gif

Sonic Generations Remaster - I mean, Generations is one of like three or four Sonic games I would be interested in playing (the others being Mania, Unleashed, and...something I can't remember), but SEGA always fudge the prices on these remastered versions. So probably a pass for the foreseeable. 

Silent Hill 2 -

tidus-final.gif

I think I'll play the original first, thank you very much. 

New Metro game - haven't played any of the others, and I'm not a huge first-person guy (not against it, but it's not my go-to when picking out what I want to play), so...pass, I guess. Actually, show me a zombified Ecco the Dolphin and I'm in. 

Judas - the new Ken Levine game? 

donald-duck-sleepy.gif

Bioshock is on my list of games to play this year anyways, as said before I'm not a big first-person guy, and I thought the first trailer for this was...fine? But nothing to write home about. It looks pretty much exactly like what I would expect an independently made game led by the guy who made Bioshock with a big enough backing to look like. 

Now give me a zombified robot that reveals we, the player, were a zombie all along, and I'm in. 

So fingers crossed there's nothing to that list, or that there's at least something missing. Feels like it's been a minute since the last great showing by PlayStation, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was it :blank:

21 minutes ago, Julius said:

Feels like it's been a minute since the last great showing by PlayStation, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was it :blank:

Yup. Most of last year's State of Plays were garbage and not worth putting out. I'm not holding my breath for this to be any different. 

To the surprise of no-one, Eurogamer are also now reporting that a State of Play is arriving this week. Bit late to the party there, boys. 

There are another two games to add to the list H-o-T posted above, so if that was a leak, it thankfully doesn't seem to be a complete one:

Spoiler

Concord - reported by dealabs, we'll apparently be getting an update on this game's characters and gameplay. 

Until Dawn Remaster/Remake/Reaffirming how stupid the delineation has gotten - as reported by billbill-kun (see above).  

Doesn't exactly move the needle for me if those two games are there, so...still holding out hope for something

Also have to imagine that they're going to try one last attempt to throw a finalfinalV3 Helldivers II trailer out there, right? 

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

It's PS6 or doomed at this point, innit.

To be honest, I'm so bogged down with older PS4/PS5 games that it's hard to get excited about the new stuff.

Well I'm up for 

Spoiler

Sonic Generations Remaster*, but it only just came out not so long ago, right...?

*Checks release date* Oh...

* If they handle it well.

11 minutes ago, Ike said:

Well I'm up for 

Gamez (Hide contents)

Sonic Generations Remaster*, but it only just came out not so long ago, right...?

*Checks release date* Oh...

* If they handle it well.

Just checked after you posted....absolutely nuts it was that long ago. :eek:

I recently bought Grindstone and it's cripplingly addictive a lot of fun!

I feel like I'm not playing it properly because my impatient ass just looks at the board and immediately decides "Yeah, I don't need to think about this - my incredible skills are without fault and this is the perfect way to move."

3802424edb16da127318fa3527f3c353.gif

I have died many times :(

• Haha 1

Q3 financial results are out now...

https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/sony-q3-fy3-2024-financial-results-oct-dec-2023-gn-s-sales-up-by-16-yoy-oi-down-by-26-ps5-hw-at-8-2m-sw-at-89-7m-new-forecast-sm2-at-10m.2418/

Oh, and yes @Sheikah, PS5 is falling further behind PS4, just like I said it would...

riLkm7v.png

lvGKQPy.png

Also relevent...

and also relevent...

gn1.PNG?ex=65dedc34&is=65cc6734&hm=beb0e

... no major first party titles are planned for release this fiscal year (ending March 31st 2025).

Will be interesting to see if anything changes sales wise as Xbox pulls out of the console market, but yeah... @Sheikah you can stop pretending that I'm wrong now; and accept that Sony are pushing into the PC space to help offset the continuing decline of the traditional console market, and will only be pushing further as time goes on.

Edited by Dcubed

I wouldnt be quoting that Tweet. The guys constantly has it in for Sony and the actual quote and what was said afterwards is far less harsh.

Still, Sony's COO seems obsessed with growth and it looks like they will be porting more games over to PC. Nintendo will be the last man standing when it comes to true exclusives.

He also mentioned how the PS5 will now be on a downward trend due to it being halfway through its life cycle. This is ridiculous to me because the PS5 hasn't really ever got going in terms of exclusives and games that fully utilise the console. Hell, most games that get released are still cross platform.

It once again highlights just how knackered the industry is. The chase for GaaS success, companies buying each other up, pushing for stupidly high end graphics and massive open worlds, over saturation of games...all of these things are causing the industry to implode on itself. The amount of layoffs that happened last year and continue to happen this year are beyond a joke and it's all because the industry has backed itself into a corner with all of the above that I mentioned. It's simply not sustainable anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1