NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Got Star Trek Resurgence for Christmas so started that earlier now my niece and nephew have left. I've got a feeling I'm going to love it because it's Star Trek but if it was based on any other series I would be disappointed. Feels very stilted in it's movement and animations, at least a generation or two old. Bit glitchy already as well.

I may start this tomorrow. Would be a nice change of pace now that my FF adventure is over. The jank shouldn't bother me. I enjoyed the TellTale games and those were the same.

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I may start this tomorrow. Would be a nice change of pace now that my FF adventure is over. The jank shouldn't bother me. I enjoyed the TellTale games and those were the same.

I liked them as well but I just feel like they should have moved on since then. It still feels like those early games.

On 21/12/2023 at 3:42 PM, drahkon said:

Been playing Metal: Hellsinger for a bit just now.

Good recommendation. I loved it.

GCZHx0yXUAA68Fm?format=jpg&name=large

I was like if Doom was a rhythm game. :DThe gun play was fast and fluid, just like Doom 2016 and even though the weapon selection isn't huge, what is there is very satisfying to use. My go to combo were the Persephone (shotty) and The Hounds (dual pistols). Hounds were for long range combat and Persephone for close encounters.

I loved the Torments. These challenge stages were a very fun side game. A couple of them gave me some issues but after a bit practice I managed to finish them all. The one where there was no healing allowed took some doing. I was frantically dashing backwards in the air in order to avoid the enemy attacks. I finished with only a sliver of health left.

This game is definitely an unsung hero. Thanks for pointing it out as I would never have played it otherwise. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The one where there was no healing allowed took some doing.

I think this one was bugged for me in a good way: Whenever I executed an enemy, heal crystals spawned. So...healing allowed :p

Good to hear that you enjoyed the game :peace: It definitely deserves more recognition!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, drahkon said:

I think this one was bugged for me in a good way: Whenever I executed an enemy, heal crystals spawned. So...healing allowed :p

This just happened to me. I'm going for the double platinum and so I'm playing the PS5 version. I assume that's the one you played? I guess that version is busted but in a good way. :D

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This just happened to me. I'm going for the double platinum and so I'm playing the PS5 version. I assume that's the one you played? I guess that version is busted but in a good way. :D

Yup, I only play the PS5 versions if available :p

Definitely made the Platinum much easier in this case :D

Be honest: did you use the accessibility setting for

Metal Hellsinger Trophy Guide Not Shaken, Nor Stirred
Never hit off-beat in a Hell
Metal Hellsinger Trophy Guide

?

I got very close once without and then decided to just enable it :laughing:

17 hours ago, drahkon said:

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Ah, yes. The "Good Bad Bug*, as TV Tropes calls it. Always fun!

On 26/12/2023 at 6:13 PM, Happenstance said:

Got Star Trek Resurgence for Christmas so started that earlier now my niece and nephew have left. I've got a feeling I'm going to love it because it's Star Trek but if it was based on any other series I would be disappointed. Feels very stilted in it's movement and animations, at least a generation or two old. Bit glitchy already as well.

I'm about 50% of the way through and it's pretty garbage. As you mentioned, the movement is very stiff and janky and the facial animations are hilariously bad. Same goes for the lighting used. The comic book look that some Telltale games used looked far better than this.

The game has also bugged out on me a couple of times. So much so that I had to restart due to prompts not showing up on the screen. I was walking around for ages before I reset the game and tried it again.

Some of the action sections are pretty bad as well. Piloting the shuttlecraft is very slow and boring, the phaser fights don't feel fluid at all and the less said about the stealth sections the better.

The story is fine but nothing great. You may get more mileage out of it as you're a much bigger Trek fan than me. 

• Like 1

A taste of the onslaught of games heading our way next year.

It's hilarious how videos like these label the games as must play. They aren't even out yet and could be total duds or broken messes.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

Finished Star Trek: Resurgence today.

GCnVj5xWAAA9zTt?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, the game didn't really get much better. Story got a little more interesting but it was still a slog to get through. There are ties to a TNG storyline but I can't remember the episode it references as it's been years since I watched that series.

Posted (edited)

So, this trailer/ad (I mean, I guess they're all ads?) for the games coming up on PlayStation in 2024 is interesting...because the Snake Eater remake and Silent Hill 2 remake are both included. 

Obviously a huge asterisk that plans can change, and a caveat on the official editorial page for this trailer/ad that:

All featured titles scheduled for release in 2024 at the time of publication. Release timings for unreleased titles may be subject to change and can vary by region. Please check with the relevant publisher for the most up-to-date information. 

But, I mean, damn? I thought these games were shaking up to be 2025 at the earliest, and it's really curious that they've just been announced to be coming this year, well, here of all places. Even wilder when you consider just last week PlayStation Access dropped that video @Hero-of-Time shared. We've also had a State of Play in Feb or March each year for a while more, so maybe we aren't far off finding out more? 

So, anyways, Konami, if you could just drop a Silent Hill collection (that works) to drive some hype for the 2 remake, you know..? So I don't need to spend ungodly amounts on picking those up on the retro market? K thx :)

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

I won't have a lot of time for gaming once all these JRPGs start to get released...I might have time for one but it's probably not going to happen :( Current plan is to only buy FFVII: Rebirth and take release day + the following Friday off and blast through most of the game during the weekend :D

This year's gonna be great :peace:

• Like 1

Just wanted to note that The Swords of Ditto is currently on sale for £3.24 until 18th Jan. I've been playing it a fair bit and it's quite fun, and reminiscent of top-down Zelda games. I've read that it used to be more unforgiving with a time limit (which is factored into most reviews) and they since patched the game, so it's really not an issue I've found.

And the art style is brilliant. I mean, look at this.

DB-XBow-Xg-AE-R-P.jpg

• Like 3

I'm trying to justify buying a Playstation 5 but like the Switch for many many many years, until there is at least 5 games I want to play on it, I can't.

I can only think of 3 games I want for it. Spider-man 2, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Robocop Rogue City. Am I missing any?

Note: I have God of War: Ragnarok, Horizon: Forbidden West & Spider-man: Miles Morales on the PS4. No interest in the Last of Us remakes / remasters.

3 minutes ago, lostmario said:

I'm trying to justify buying a Playstation 5 but like the Switch for many many many years, until there is at least 5 games I want to play on it, I can't.

I can only think of 3 games I want for it. Spider-man 2, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Robocop Rogue City. Am I missing any?

Note: I have God of War: Ragnarok, Horizon: Forbidden West & Spider-man: Miles Morales on the PS4. No interest in the Last of Us remakes / remasters.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth? 

Probably not worth it seeing as you are still getting a lot of mileage out of your PS4. A lot of stuff has been cross gen and that looks to continue this year.

I've currently got twenty (soon to be twenty-one) sealed games for the PS5, and the console out of the box but not connected, which has been that way for a few months now. :blank:

For me, it's not the justifying of the console purchase, but finding the time to set it up properly to play it. :p

Tekken 8 may finally be the game which will make me want to set it up.

Oh... @Hero-of-Time I seem to remember you were asking which games I;d got for the system, though I likely didn't say at the time (busy) but here goes...

• Alex Kidd in Miracle World
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edtion
  • Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragon
  • Hades
  • Initial Drift: Twilight Rivals Edition
  • NFS Unbound
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
  • R-Type Final 3 Evolved
  • Raiden III x Mikado Maniax
  • Raiden IV x Mikado remix
  • Sonic Frontiers
  • Sonic Origins Plus
  • Sonic Superstars
  • Soph Star (limited release)
  • Stray
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Tactics Ogre: Reborn
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge
  • Tekken 8 (soon...)
  • The King of Fighters XV
  • Vengeful Guardian:Moonrider

So, just a few games really. ::shrug:

I think that justifies the purchase of the console, once I legitimately start playing a game on it. :peace:

• Like 1

Best Buy in Canada have just put up a DualSense V2 on their site. Details from the page:

Compatible with the PlayStation 5

Wireless connectivity ensures you will never get tangled up in wires while gaming

Iconic comfortable design fits naturally in your hands

Haptic feedback replaces the traditional rumble motors for more realistic gameplay

Dynamic adaptive triggers let you experience different levels of force and tension as you interact with your game

Built-in microphone lets you engage with fellow gamers in online play

Headset jack lets you plug in your favourite headset, so you can tune in to your game audio easily

Dual Sense charging station (included) offers easy click-in charging

Exceptional 12-hour battery life, on a full charge, supports long gaming sessions

Oh that sweet, sweet battery life improvement! FINALLY! I don't mind having two in rotation using the charging stand, but man, it's been really weird this gen getting by for days if not a week+ at a time on my Switch Pro and Xbox Series controllers, and then coming back to the DualSense on my main console and just knowing I have to charge it more frequently :blank: still can't believe the price they sold the DualSense Edge at for the battery life it has...

Anyways, all three of my controllers (2x white from launch, 1x black from when that released in...2021, I think?) are all experiencing pretty irreparable drift on at least one of their sticks. I had been procrastinating on picking up new controllers with the new colour variants coming out, but I'll need to see when this V2 arrives I think! 

EDIT: looks to be smaller and lighter, too (stolen from ResetEra);

DualSense DualSense V2
Height 19.05cm/7.5in 16cm/6.3in
Width 6.99cm/2.75in 6.6cm/2.6in
Depth 19.05cm/7.5in 10.6cm/4.17in
Weight 360g 280g

EDIT 2: maybe that's box size? So yay, reduced waste? :p

Edited by Julius

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Oh that sweet, sweet battery life improvement! FINALLY! I don't mind having two in rotation using the charging stand, but man, it's been really weird this gen getting by for days if not a week+ at a time on my Switch Pro and Xbox Series controllers, and then coming back to the DualSense on my main console and just knowing I have to charge it more frequently :blank: 

Finally!. It's ridiculous you need to have 2 controllers in rotation if having an all day gaming session on the PS5. This new battery should have been there from the start.

8 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I've currently got twenty (soon to be twenty-one) sealed games for the PS5, and the console out of the box but not connected, which has been that way for a few months now. :blank:

Plenty to keep you busy with there. :peace:

• Thanks 1

People, you should buy longer USB-C cables :D

But yeah, longer battery life is always better. Not necessary for me though, because I'm a cool guy who uses a LONG USB-C CABLE. :p

On 1/9/2024 at 5:16 PM, Sheikah said:

Just wanted to note that The Swords of Ditto is currently on sale for £3.24 until 18th Jan. I've been playing it a fair bit and it's quite fun, and reminiscent of top-down Zelda games. I've read that it used to be more unforgiving with a time limit (which is factored into most reviews) and they since patched the game, so it's really not an issue I've found.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up. That time limit always seemed like something to annoy me so it's nice to see it's a little more forgiving.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Finally!. It's ridiculous you need to have 2 controllers in rotation if having an all day gaming session on the PS5. This new battery should have been there from the start.

Absolutely! Think I've seen my Switch Pro controller say it's low on battery just twice the entire time I've had it (nearly 5 years), whereas I can sometimes get that message for my DualSenses the same number of times in a single week. 

Totally has nothing to do with me not playing on my Switch all that much, no siree :p 

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

People, you should buy longer USB-C cables :D

But yeah, longer battery life is always better. Not necessary for me though, because I'm a cool guy who uses a LONG USB-C CABLE. :p

So, I guess this was a lie 

book-of-boba-fett-luke-skywalker.gif

:laughing:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

So, I guess this was a lie 

book-of-boba-fett-luke-skywalker.gif

:laughing:

ba90f05f-c952-4863-af7e-01f5a182a254_tex

• Haha 2

Maybe Baldurs Gate 3? Supposed to be very good, but it's not a PS exclusive. Depends on whether you already have a next gen console or a good PC.