NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

.. And totally unexpectedly, I'm joining the KK Slider party gang. Fun fact: I have no fences. I don't even have all the villagers yet. Yesterday I finally placed the plot for the 9th house. Today this guy moved in..

Thanks a lot @BowserBasher! :p

I was thinking of placing a 2nd inclination today, but reconsidered after thinking it may be better to wait whenI get terraforming. So I checked the rating for my town (only the 3rd time I talked to Isabelle about it).. And lo and behold, I got a 3 star rating. Guess Sprocket made the difference haha.

So yeah the fishing tourney.. Tried a bit at 14:00 or something. Got a few items. Checked how many points you needed and I was like "No fuck that, I'm going to go outside and get some icecream" (weather's great right now). Everything's already been said, but yeah, all the repeated dialogue is atrocious. But seeing how they're on top of things with support.. Maybe they'll change stuff for the next one. One good things is that I got the (I think) final new bug / fish of the month while fishing for the tourney. I didn't have a guppy yet.

The last few days I finally got some other special characters. I mean, the game must know I'm a night person, because I've seen Wisp 8 times. I've now finally had Celeste over (yesterday for the 2nd time I believe), and Kicks yesterday for the first time. Now I just need to have Label come over. The sisters are talking about her constantly (I.. actually can't remember that from the previous games), but I've never seen her on my island.

Also, this been a while ago, but I experimented bit with customizations. They don't count as separate for the catalogue, nor do they add value to their selling price.

I didn't get all the cherry blossom recipes. I blame everyone who complained about the eggs. :p

I just placed the 10th house right now. I'll do the rest when I've unlocked terraforming. I can't place some bridges where I want them for example, I need to straighten the rivers a little bit. I want to retain the look of the island as it was generated though.

Tomorrow I'll go craft a whole bunch of stuff I haven't crafted yet, amongst others the bunny stuff obviously, but several other things as well. This will get rid of a lot of crafting materials (.. and eggs) for me, which was pretty much half my storage, and my biggest reason for upgrading my house.

I'll see if I can organize that trade market I suggested next week. My spare fossils and diy recipes are slowly starting to cover my island..

• Haha 1

Day three of project move the shop one square will be complete in about five minutes. It has taken three days of moving trees and shimmying the shop around bit by bit, all because you cannot move buildings one or two squares if it overlaps with their current position; they need spaces for entirely fresh plots! 

Also, seeing all the fishing prizes lying around from yesterday is like... wow did that really happen. :blank:

Edited by darksnowman
Attempting to add image.

30 seconds after officially starting my terraforming adventure I made this:

1UWhHHt.jpg

Edit: Oh no, there's a typo. It's ruined :(

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

You mean where they gave everyone more than enough Bunny Day DIY recipes and a literal tidal wave of eggs so that they could craft everything available in the first 2 days of a 12 day build up? 

Until today where you have to craft more things and then get a really rubbish reward in the end. 

I don't think I'm going to bother with any of the events again if this is anything to go by. And regarding the fishing thing, I don't recall the last time I spent 3 hours playing a game in one day, yet alone a grinder.

Yeah, the old style Fishing Tourneys were way better, where you competed with the other villagers (and other human players who lived in your town) for that trophy.

It really goes to show that I honestly think my little fishing competitions are more entertaining.

What really annoys me is that the timer is there in the HUD, but there's no sign of a timer item. I really want the timer.

Edited by Glen-i

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

What really annoys me is that the timer is there in the HUD, but there's no sign of a timer item. I really want the timer.

There is one in the game. Takes some time to get it, though, it seems.

• Thanks 1

Woke up this morning to find I had received two things in the post - one was a trophy from the Happy Home Academy.  Bronze, so it's not as easy as I thought!

The other was a trophy from the fishing tournament - also Bronze, for 100pts.  If it carries over, that's fine, but I do think they should have reassured the player of that.  I couldn't be bothered to get 300pts yesterday, but some might have done so not knowing it carries over, and that could have lessened enjoyment of the game.

Another thing that's annoying me a little bit is how you need to put scenery outdoors to get more than a 3-star island rating.  For me, this just clutters things up and I'm hoping I can get 5-star simply by having all the upgraded shops (eventually) and lots of flowers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Until today where you have to craft more things and then get a really rubbish reward in the end. 

Crafting more things is literally the entire point of the game.

And my point was in relation to drakon's weird FOMO comment. No idea what that was about. 12 days to get eggs and make stuff.

So I will be moving my house up to to a big hill at the back, whilst my wife keeps her house down on the beach. I'll expand my place into a fully fledged castle, whilst she keeps hers small. I've started this project with a series of ramps and bridges that leads from the town square, via Mabel's and a new park I'm planning. The next move will be to move the house itself, and start transforming the great plateau into the castle grounds. Whilst upgrading the house I'll also build a path from the new park down to the Cranny, and on to the town square thus creating a second path.

Question for those experiences at terraforming. Is it possible/advisable to raise a currently single height waterfall into a double height waterfall?

7 minutes ago, Grazza said:

The other was a trophy from the fishing tournament - also Bronze, for 100pts.  If it carries over, that's fine, but I do think they should have reassured the player of that.  I couldn't be bothered to get 300pts yesterday, but some might have done so not knowing it carries over, and that could have lessened enjoyment of the game.

Another thing that's annoying me a little bit is how you need to put scenery outdoors to get more than a 3-star island rating.  For me, this just clutters things up and I'm hoping I can get 5-star simply by having all the upgraded shops (eventually) and lots of flowers.

At least you get all 3 trophies when getting the gold. I was worried i'd have to play the event again to get the silver and then bronze.

Yeah, the ranking thing is a bit annoying. I've seen people quickly achieve it by simply placing bugs, fish...basically anything they have in storage, all around the island. I try to have a clean and ordered look to my island and i'm hoping as I continue to develop it that I will achieve the 5 star ranking purely by accident. I have managed to get my island to 4 stars now just by following the plans I had set out for myself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Crafting more things is literally the entire point of the game.

And my point was in relation to drakon's weird FOMO comment. No idea what that was about. 12 days to get eggs and make stuff.

I was more disappointed in the reward than having to craft. 

I can see where the potential fomo feeling may come from though. Look at all the people in the last few days in March trying to get that fish; you could feel that you're missing out on something if it's time limited. 

Because they're not advertising it as "100 points gets you a trophy" or "300 gets you another trophy". They're telling you that points = fishing items. Simple. In July when there's another tournament on they're not going to encourage you to grind for trophies either, they're just going to say go fish, win some new merch, sell fish for lots of bells. Points carry over anyway, so the trophies are more like achievements. When you were playing in the tournament, did you honestly feel like the guy was pushing you to get 300 points? I certainly didn’t.

It's not that similar a circumstance but it reminds me of BOTW with the 900 Korok seeds. They put them there if people wanted to get them, but they weren't actively encouraging people to collect all of them it. The reward they gave for it was meant to be a comment on the silliness of grinding for open-world collectibles.

But it is advertised. As I say, you reach 100 points while accumulating the unique items and he tells you you've hit bronze. Therefore, you know you need more points for higher tiers. This is not some information tucked away by Googling, he literally tells you what tier you're at when you hit 100 points.

Again, doesn't matter whether you personally felt compelled to get 300, end of the day there is a reward tied to doing a crappy thing over and over again. That particular aspect is bad game design, whichever way you slice it.

Crafting more things is literally the entire point of the game. And my point was in relation to drakon's weird FOMO comment. No idea what that was about. 12 days to get eggs and make stuff.

How can crafting things be the entire point of the game when Animal Crossing has never had crafting up until this point? You don't half say some strange things...

I completed all of the Bunny day things. I think it was quite silly them having the cherry blossom event at the same time. I didn't really bother with that, I think I only came across two recipes.

Had to exchange some eggs with Zippy in order to get enough sky eggs to complete everything - they really should have addressed the imbalance here. Ended up with something like 130 stone eggs spare. Balloon drops should have given three sky eggs maybe, not one. I know you get more for selling the eggs if you craft them into items, but i'm not sure it's really worth the bother.

My island rating has gone up to 2 stars this morning, so aiming to do some outdoors decoration and get that up to 3 as soon as possible so KK can come.

Had a new villager move in as well. Truffles. I don't like her. She's got a stupid face. And I've already got a pig on this island, Kevin. 

• Haha 1

You got plenty of sky eggs though.. They're the most common next to water eggs. I think I'd actually have roughly the same number of sky eggs as water eggs if I kept shooting them down..

They never seemed common on my island... and you actually have to be in the right place at the right time on your island when they spawn / put some effort in to actually farm them. Stone eggs, tree eggs etc. I just got loads of by doing my daily rounds in the morning and on visits to Nook islands. 

3 minutes ago, Mr-Paul said:

They never seemed common on my island... and you actually have to be in the right place at the right time on your island when they spawn / put some effort in to actually farm them. Stone eggs, tree eggs etc. I just got loads of by doing my daily rounds in the morning and on visits to Nook islands. 

Maybe you only started looking after the patch. :p

That or you were online too much? They kept flying by 2 at a time, and I saw them frequently as I was fishing in the ocean. I stopped chopping wood, because I already had way too much.. And I got plenty of stone eggs, but still not enough to match all the sky eggs I could have shot down.

Edited by Sméagol

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

end of the day there is a reward tied to doing a crappy thing over and over again

If you think fishing (kind of a big deal in Animal Crossing) is crappy, then maybe just don't do it? Simple.

I'd hope that you might be able to see that them the character commenting when you reach 100 points (and not pushing you to aim any higher) is different than from the get go saying "If you get 300 points you will get something special". There's nuance to the situation. They're not encouraging people to do it, it's just there if they feel compelled.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

How can crafting things be the entire point of the game when Animal Crossing has never had crafting up until this point? You don't half say some strange things...

Because, maybe this will come as a shock to you, but crafting is a big deal in this game. And so crafting themed items on a holiday should kind of be expected.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

If you think fishing (kind of a big deal in Animal Crossing) is crappy, then maybe just don't do it? Simple.

No, see what you're doing there in bold is putting words in my mouth. When I said it's crappy, I was refer to fishing without prejudice or aim other than to accumulate points, rather than fishing in general. Having people fish for hours to simply accumulate points is boring. They could have made this interesting, but instead they opted for a points counter. Even Harvest Moon games have done fishing competitions better than this and they didn't take hours to complete.

That's the last time I will make this point. Please be respectful, read people's posts and try to understand their point of view and the point they are making. You do not need to defend Nintendo at every turn. It is fine to admit this was a poor event, or disagree and move on, rather than keep trying to tell people the event they didn't like was actually fun (or the dreaded "you were doing it wrong"). There's every chance they will have some good events in future.

I'd hope that you might be able to see that them the character commenting when you reach 100 points (and not pushing you to aim any higher) is different than from the get go saying "If you get 300 points you will get something special". There's nuance to the situation. They're not encouraging people to do it, it's just there if they feel compelled.

They are encouraging people to do it by having tiers and making it clear you reached a bronze tier at 100 points. If they didn't want people to aim higher, they wouldn't have had added a gold tier at 300 points. By adding tiers they are actively encouraging people to do it for longer.

Because, maybe this will come as a shock to you, but crafting is a big deal in this game. And so crafting themed items on a holiday should kind of be expected.

You said that the entire point of the game is crafting. Not sure why I need to repeat this - crafting has never been in Animal Crossing before this game. So how can you say crafting is the entire point of this game? Crafting is an addition to the series; the core of the game is what it has always been. Crafting is just one addition to the game, and I'd argue you spend only around 1% of the time crafting.

Edited by Sheikah

3 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Crafting is just one addition to the game, and I'd argue you spend only around 1% of the time crafting.

More like 95%, considering crafting stuff takes ages :p

Edited by drahkon

Just now, drahkon said:

More like 95%, considering crafting stuff takes ages :p

I don't think it's even above 1% for me. You will get to a point where you have the fish you need so you aren't crafting bait anymore, and where a new recipe only comes in occasionally. My daily tasks usually involve hitting rocks, talking to villagers, digging fossils, buying stuff, visiting people...crafting usually only takes place when I break something, aside from the occasional recipe I get.

21 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

You do not need to defend Nintendo at every turn. It is fine to admit this was a poor event, or disagree and move on, rather than keep trying to tell people the event they didn't like was actually fun

I've already said that the event was poor, the gameplay needed to be something different and the repeated text boxes were idiotic. I'll say it for the twelve time, maybe you will understand, that the only point I'm trying to make is about them not actively encouraging you to get the gold trophy (because, you know, they never even say the words bronze, silver, or gold in the event, so that's yet another reason your argument falls apart)

Silly me for misunderstanding "there is a reward tied to doing a crappy thing over and over" as "fishing = crappy".

Edited by Ronnie