NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Just now, Grazza said:

Do you get any kind of reward, such as the island being kept free of weeds if you want?  I remember that as a reward for something in New Leaf, with the villagers planting flowers on their own as well.

All that I got was the recipe for the Golden Watering Can. I'm not sure if there is anything else that happens. @Sheikah is the man to ask because he's had his island on 5 stars for a while now.

• Thanks 1

Do you get any kind of reward, such as the island being kept free of weeds if you want?  I remember that as a reward for something in New Leaf, with the villagers planting flowers on their own as well.

You also get lily of the valley plants growing high up on the edge of cliffs periodically once you reach 5 star too. I've got about 4 growing so far now, they just randomly appear so long as you keep your island 5 star.

• Thanks 2

So I have to say my initial reservation about only one island on the Switch definitely proved to be founded. I don't play the game at all, because it's my SO's. And she likes to do everything every day, shake every tree, hit every rock, hand in every creature and fossil. I couldn't bring myself to take that away. So really I'm just a blight on her island still in my first house with one room and a camper bed. I don't mind, I didn't buy the game and I'm happy to let it be hers. But I wish I could have my own island, too.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Shorty said:

So I have to say my initial reservation about only one island on the Switch definitely proved to be founded. I don't play the game at all, because it's my SO's. And she likes to do everything every day, shake every tree, hit every rock, hand in every creature and fossil. I couldn't bring myself to take that away. So really I'm just a blight on her island still in my first house with one room and a camper bed. I don't mind, I didn't buy the game and I'm happy to let it be hers. But I wish I could have my own island, too.

Yep, this is what I was trying to tell people earlier on in the topic but a few people were justifying it by suggesting it was part of some grand vision, or that this is how it's been in the past (never let the past prevent progress, IMO). A lot of this game is doing certain activities each day; these activities can be exhausted by a single player, leaving other players with little to do. Given that there are now user accounts it's a real oversight that they didn't make separate islands an option - I've seen quite a few gaming news sites complain about this issue too.

Another issue I think is the lack of cloud saving - something that still hasn't been implemented. I personally don't understand why they would prevent this; this isn't a competitive game, and they're not exactly stopping other more serious ways to impact game balance (time travelling, for instance).

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grazza said:

I cleared my Island of weeds about ten days ago and just done the same and found about 20. Done it a little bit since (mostly to make medicine) but I'd guess there's been about 50 at most in nearly two weeks. I was surprised, I thought they'd grow back more quickly. 

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

I cleared my Island of weeds about ten days ago and just done the same and found about 20. Done it a little bit since (mostly to make medicine) but I'd guess there's been about 50 at most in nearly two weeks. I was surprised, I thought they'd grow back more quickly. 

2 weeds a day grow.

You can't create waterfalls on a diagonal cliff. There goes my terraforming plan.

:blank:

There are way too many restrictions in this game...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

2 weeds a day grow.

I expected it to be far worse.

And maybe I missed some on my first clear out. Camera can be a pain sometimes.

If you get a visitor (Celeste, Gulliver) on your own island can people visit and get an item off them and do their tasks? 

If you get a visitor (Celeste, Gulliver) on your own island can people visit and get an item off them and do their tasks? 

I'm pretty sure you can't with Gulliver (went to someone's island and had no option to help him), which makes sense because once his phone is fixed there's no reason why he's need help from anyone else. Not sure about Celeste. And not sure if a visitor can help the NPCs out before the resident player.

• Thanks 1

Well he's on my island at the moment, so he can't be on yours.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1

I have 100 portions of fish bait all ready for when it rains so I can get a Tuna and a Blue Marlin before May rolls around.

Problem is, it hasn't rained since April began.

Starting to get worried now.

Oh, also got a 3-star rating and K.K is visiting soon, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

• Like 1

I have 100 portions of fish bait all ready for when it rains so I can get a Tuna and a Blue Marlin before May rolls around.
Is the weather determined by the real life weather as well? It's reet nice out, and it has been for most of April...

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It rained for me yesterday for what felt like the first time since release. Looked great.

It was raining for me about half an hour ago and it's not raining here so I don't think it's based on real life and is just randomised. 

4 minutes ago, bob said:
10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Is the weather determined by the real life weather as well? It's reet nice out, and it has been for most of April...

No, it's dependant on the season with a hint of randomness thrown in.

The Wii Animal Crossing did actually use the weather channel to determine your town's weather, which was pretty cool.

And that's why you'll never see a Scottish person with a full bug catalogue in Let's Go to the City.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

It doesn't need to be raining for the Tuna or Blue Marlin, I haven't had any rain yet and have caught a few of each.

Pretty sure it's just the Coelacanth that only appears in the rain at the moment.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I don't think those requires rain though.

Also people have said, and I don't know if this is true, that you have higher odds on mystery island. The pier where the plane on mystery island counts for the fish you mentioned.

On 14.4.2020 at 7:26 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I mentioned this on the turnip thread, but other people can get DIYs from Celeste. Don't know about Gulliver though. Also, Flick and C.J. won't commission for other players so good luck getting a complete collection.

Yeah, @Glen-i, as others have said, the Tuna and Blue Marlin just require a pier.  Definitely doesn't have to be raining.

It doesn't need to be raining for the Tuna or Blue Marlin, I haven't had any rain yet and have caught a few of each.
Pretty sure it's just the Coelacanth that only appears in the rain at the moment.
And if you go to a Nook island it doesn't need to be raining for coelacanth, that's how me and some others got it. Unless they've patched that now.

Stuck a podcast on earlier today and spent nearly two hours completely levelling my island so that I can redesign it from the ground up, after a few days of struggling to rearrange around what I already have in place. Work on the river starts tomorrow. 

On the one hand, I think that they should really make large changes to the island much easier to apply. On the other hand, what's more relaxing than listening to a podcast as you level an island? ::shrug:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grazza said:

Yeah, @Glen-i, as others have said, the Tuna and Blue Marlin just require a pier.  Definitely doesn't have to be raining.

Oh, I'm aware. It's just rarer fish show up more often in the rain.

Minimum effort, that's how I play Animal Crossing.

17 hours ago, Glen-i said:

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Hold on a minute... I was crafting fish bait for the fishing tourney last Saturday and it was most certainly not minimal effort to even go through the rigmarole of doing 10-15 at a time, never mind 100! :eek:

Oh, I'm aware. It's just rarer fish show up more often in the rain.
You'll also have the possibility of a coelacanth when raining though, reducing the chance of it being one of those two fish. Good if you still need coelacanth though.

I'm not convinced raining ups the chance that much either.