NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

IGN review for Dead Cells redacted due to plagiarism

Good lord, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he'd stolen his children from someone else after all these revelations.

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

:laughing:

Less scandalous is that his part relating to California State University in the Education section on his LinkedIn profile is simply lifted from their Mass Media course page. You could almost forgive him for lifting some parts of a job description from a template somewhere, because I imagine that there are tons of people out there who do that, or something similar. There are plenty of CV templates out there, for example. But, to take entire sections and not even change or alter the wording or layout is hilarious. It just reeks of laziness, tbh. His LinkedIn page is still up, so you can see it for yourself, which is what I did. I'm amazed how he got his job at IGN in the first place. On what credentials exactly did they hire him? 

I wonder if there's any CMSes out there with built in plagiarism checkers... Granted a place like IGN may use a bespoke one, but that's my curious pondering for the day

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I wonder if there's any CMSes out there with built in plagiarism checkers... Granted a place like IGN may use a bespoke one, but that's my curious pondering for the day

Yeah - I've been presuming there aren't, and thus feeling pretty sorry for the ign staff who, looking at comments on their recent videos, are getting serious flack for something they could hardly have spotted by eye! (Curious to know if you'd agree given your role on here?). I listen to the IGN UK podcast and it seems like a pretty chilled out, friendly vibe there - can't imagine they'd expect something like that to ever happen!

Gotta say I've been absolutely loving watching this story unfold. As if the guy tried to deny it when he'd been doing it his entire career! (and before that). Obviously any physical threats aren't on, but generally speaking he deserves the hammering he's getting!

BossyFavorableFoal-size_restricted.gif&k

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

14 minutes ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Yeah - I've been presuming there aren't, and thus feeling pretty sorry for the ign staff who, looking at comments on their recent videos, are getting serious flack for something they could hardly have spotted by eye! (Curious to know if you'd agree given your role on here?). I listen to the IGN UK podcast and it seems like a pretty chilled out, friendly vibe there - can't imagine they'd expect something like that to ever happen!

Gotta say I've been absolutely loving watching this story unfold. As if the guy tried to deny it when he'd been doing it his entire career! (and before that). Obviously any physical threats aren't on, but generally speaking he deserves the hammering he's getting!

BossyFavorableFoal-size_restricted.gif&k

Ana did it better. :p

MealyFilthyBushsqueaker-size_restricted.

Have to agree that it has been somewhat interesting seeing this all unravel. Especially that "prove it" plea in his non-apology video...which hilariously backfired. It's like a better version of that Cheaters program, tbh.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Happenstance said:
  •  

Plagiarized from Era. All thats been found so far. Hopefully the links still work.

Fixed that for you.

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Oh yeah from our perspective we definitely don't have the setup to do any kind of check. There's also the timing issue (less so with reviews as you're usually working towards am embargo date) as there's a lot of pressure around getting up a lot of content as quickly as possible so the less barriers to that the better. There's also a lot built on trust as you wouldn't expect your staff (or freelancers) to just do it, to the point the notion of checking isn't one you'd entertain 

Maybe it will start a shift in the industry but I can't imagine it, simply because of the pressures I mention above and not because they think it's okay to do (a risk analysis basically where you assume everyone is fine). I suppose maybe they can start doing some checking quickly after things are posted so it can be nipped earlier? I'd like to believe fans would be understanding if sites caught it quickly after... But who knows.

But I trust my staff 😘

• Like 2

Just now, Ashley said:

Oh yeah from our perspective we definitely don't have the setup to do any kind of check. There's also the timing issue (less so with reviews as you're usually working towards am embargo date) as there's a lot of pressure around getting up a lot of content as quickly as possible so the less barriers to that the better. There's also a lot built on trust as you wouldn't expect your staff (or freelancers) to just do it, to the point the notion of checking isn't one you'd entertain 

Maybe it will start a shift in the industry but I can't imagine it, simply because of the pressures I mention above and not because they think it's okay to do (a risk analysis basically where you assume everyone is fine). I suppose maybe they can start doing some checking quickly after things are posted so it can be nipped earlier? I'd like to believe fans would be understanding if sites caught it quickly after... But who knows.

But I trust my staff 😘

The trust part is the most important bit. Especially in this day and age where you can fact-check information or just do a quick and simple google search. It's very naïve to think that you could get away with stealing somebody else's work, especially to the extent that has been done in this case. Hopefully this will act as a warning to others to not even contemplate doing anything in this manner in the future. I feel bad for IGN that they're having to go to all of this extra work and effort to fix this mistake, especially his colleagues who have worked beside him. This must be so embarrassing, especially as more and more information just seems to be coming out! 

Ignoring for the moment the disgusting treatment his family have apparently had to go through as well because of this, I wonder what they are actually thinking now. I mean what would you do/think if you found out that someone you loved was basically a fraud in their work life and a hell of a lot of what they had built up over the years was actually stolen from others.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Ignoring for the moment the disgusting treatment his family have apparently had to go through as well because of this, I wonder what they are actually thinking now. I mean what would you do/think if you found out that someone you loved was basically a fraud in their work life and a hell of a lot of what they had built up over the years was actually stolen from others.

Me and one of the lads at work were discussing this very thing yesterday. We were both asking the question, how are you supposed to put your trust in someone who has done this and lied his way to the top? If he's willing to do that in this aspect of his life then what's to say that he hasn't done such things in others? I know if I was in the situation his partner is in that I would certainly be doubting a lot of things right now.

Wow, this is the story that keeps on giving!

I'm pleased to see that my original post back on page 3 has aged well. It's also great to see what fantastic work actual journalists like Jason have done after Filip, for some reason, challenged them to find more examples. It's by far the biggest own goal I've ever seen from someone in the video games industry.  

1 hour ago, Goron_3 said:

Indeed. The more recent one that has been found where he steal Jose Otero's Abzu review and then uses it for a different game is hilarious.

This whole thing has to be one of the craziest events to happen within the games industry for a long time.

I'm pleased to see that my original post back on page 3 has aged well. It's also great to see what fantastic work actual journalists like Jason have done after Filip, for some reason, challenged them to find more examples. It's by far the biggest own goal I've ever seen from someone in the video games industry.  

Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to argue against what you said now. Jason has done a great job in revealing the extent of the situation, as have the tipsters. Seems incredible that this moron dared Jason to dig deeper on him. What a fucking clown, lol.

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. The more recent one that has been found where he steal Jose Otero's Abzu review and then uses it for a different game is hilarious.

This whole thing has to be one of the craziest events to happen within the games industry for a long time.

What the fuck? Have you got a link to that one? This is next level stuff now. 

Imagine stealing somebody's review for Debbie Does Dallas and trying to pass it of for...Cars 2. Or the new Paddington film.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

What the fuck? Have you got a link to that one? This is next level stuff now. 

Imagine stealing somebody's review for Debbie Does Dallas and trying to pass it of for...Cars 2. Or the new Paddington film.

I would very much like to read that Paddington review. :D 

Here's the link you asked for.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/11521929/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I would very much like to read that Paddington review. :D 

Here's the link you asked for.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/11521929/

Man, I really don't get it.

Surely it's harder to sift through other reviews looking for a relevant quote, constantly switching tabs back and forth between reviews (yours and theirs), highlight, copy and paste them into your review than to just write it yourself. That Moriarty video earlier sums it up by saying that surely everyone has an opinion when playing a game. Could it be that he never actually played these games to begin with? What was he doing with his time when he should have been doing his job? There are so many questions and I doubt he'll ever answer them honestly.

You know, when his apology video first came out, I thought it was the oddest thing that he referred to his plagiarism as "unintentional". Like, was he implying that he somehow accidentally copy&pasted stuff from elsewhere onto his script? Did he not know the meaning of the word "unintentional"?

But by now I'm fairly certain he just took that line from some other apology video.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Man, I really don't get it.

Surely it's harder to sift through other reviews looking for a relevant quote, constantly switching tabs back and forth between reviews (yours and theirs), highlight, copy and paste them into your review than to just write it yourself. That Moriarty video earlier sums it up by saying that surely everyone has an opinion when playing a game. Could it be that he never actually played these games to begin with? What was he doing with his time when he should have been doing his job? There are so many questions and I doubt he'll ever answer them honestly.

I think it's become fairly clear that he simply was never much of a Nintendo fan and simply set up his channel to make some money off of the Switch hype. His production and editing was always good, he just never seemed to be that invested as a gamer.

I've just seen the Slack messages he sent to someone, asking them why people were excited about Smash. This is the Nintendo Editor of IGN....wow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goron_3 said:

I think it's become fairly clear that he simply was never much of a Nintendo fan and simply set up his channel to make some money off of the Switch hype. His production and editing was always good, he just never seemed to be that invested as a gamer.

I've just seen the Slack messages he sent to someone, asking them why people were excited about Smash. This is the Nintendo Editor of IGN....wow.

I don't want to get on IGN's back at all, because I think that they have responded to this really well and can't really be faulted with how they've handled this. But, why was this guy hired in the first place? On what credentials exactly? I don't really follow the ins and outs of IGN and all of their podcasts, etc. To me, it just looks like they've hired a random YouTuber to be their Nintendo editor. Is there more to it than that? 

7 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I don't want to get on IGN's back at all, because I think that they have responded to this really well and can't really be faulted with how they've handled this. But, why was this guy hired in the first place? On what credentials exactly? I don't really follow the ins and outs of IGN and all of their podcasts, etc. To me, it just looks like they've hired a random YouTuber to be their Nintendo editor. Is there more to it than that? 

Nope. That's pretty much it. As Goron mentioned, Filip became popular in a short space of time thanks to concentrating on Switch content, something which a load of YouTubers have capitalised on. Once Jose left IGN for Nintendo they were desperate to fill in the role of Nintendo editor. He applied and IGN must have seen how popular his channel was and hired him to be the face of their Nintendo section.

Some blame does lie with IGN though. Apparently there were far more qualified people who applied but IGN wouldn't splash the cash and went with the cheaper option. They have been bleeding staff for a while now due to the high cost of living in San Fran and them not paying a decent enough wage to a lot of their staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For context, one of my former students at Oracle just got moved out to the US. She's in her early 40s with two teenage children. She was offerered $90,000 a year, but refused and they bumped it up to $110k. Why? Because, renting a two bedroom apartment or house in SF or close to Silicon Valley costs $3,500-$4,000 a month..! Remember reading that IGN were offering $50,000pa for the role of Nintendo editor. 

Hashtag perspective.

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this