NEurope
Sméagol

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!

10 hours ago, Falcon_Black said:

I say Lets Go is the perfect way to do a remake... Ever since Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, something felt weird as to how it became the more up-to-date game even though it was like 3 gens or so behind (thinking of the available move tutors and all) - I feel if they want to remake older games a Lets Go approach is best, so it doesnt conflict with the latest generation and its naturally superior features, I feel, it should have.

You take that back :p I think that Let’s Go is an interesting route for the games to take, could serve as a great sub-core series game to bring back regions (for their third time), and certainly freshens things up going forwards — but I genuinely can’t (and don’t want to) see them deviating from the typical remake for the near future. 

Let’s Go seems like something of a sidestep from Sun and Moon from a technical and mechanical aspect (I’m sure some might even argue a step down, but I do think that Let’s Go could be worthy of becoming a regular fixture in the games — assuming that they sell well), and while there is nothing inherently wrong with that, this isn’t the direction that I’d necessarily like to see the rest of the franchise (i.e. future remakes of games that have yet to be remade, or the pair of games which kick off a new generation) take.

The truth is, we’ve been stuck in a strange PS1-esque phase with Pokémon since the start of Generation VI: 3D assets in what are essentially games built around 2D principals. Going forwards, what I’d really like to see — starting in next year’s games — is 3D assets being fully realised in a truly 3D game. I want us to be able to control the camera, be intimidated by giant Pokémon (and adversely, have a laugh chasing small ones), and actually feel a greater sense of scale when we walk into a major city or first see the Pokémon League. And, if anything, I feel like Sinnoh and Unova have a lot of sites and locales which would be great to see in such a game — in particular, Sinnoh’s Mt. Coronet and Spear Pillar come to mind. 

Which is to say: I’d love to see the Let’s Go treatment given to games which have already been remade (so, at the moment: GSC and RSE), because I don’t think that long time fans of the franchise would be missing out on too much should they choose to skip these games as that is something that they’ve already experienced, and yet it is a great offering for new fans (or fans that do want to experience those adventures yet again). But I can already envisage people grabbing their pitchforks should Sinnoh next be seen returning for Let’s Go as opposed to in a previously typical Pokémon remake. Plus, I believe (?) Diamond and Pearl are the third best-selling opening pair of core series games to a Pokémon generation, after Gold and Silver and Red and Blue/Green, so I can’t imagine TPCi skipping the chance to cash in on that. 

Edited by Julius

@Julius has a good point. It's all well and good if you like this approach, but there's no denying that this game excludes the kind of Pokémon fan who play the games for the deep gameplay that it brings. I mean, this is the first mainline Pokémon game I won't buy. That has to count for something.

Let's Go is an absolutely terrible substitute for those people.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

I need to stop reading how much people love the game on here and ResetEra, it's making it almost impossible to resist getting it... :blush:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I need to stop reading how much people love the game on here and ResetEra, it's making it almost impossible to resist getting it... :blush:

Maybe you should listen to me more.

I seen this on YouTube last night and I was finding myself agreeing with a lot of what KingK said. He does some great deep dives on Nintendo franchises and highly recommend checking out his other videos.

I ended up getting 3 badges yesterday before calling it a day. I'm now well rested and my Pokemon journey can now continue.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I seen this on YouTube last night and I was finding myself agreeing with a lot of what KingK said. He does some great deep dives on Nintendo franchises and highly recommend checking out his other videos.

I ended up getting 3 badges yesterday before calling it a day. I'm now well rested and my Pokemon journey can now continue.

Gotta admit. Never really thought about how "catching 'em all" has been more of a side thing these days. I mean, I still pull it off every game, because I'm a massive nerd, but I get the hypothesis.

The thing is, I don't actually agree with the suggestion that Game Freak were going for that. Strangely enough, it was because of that section in the video when he started talking about how the event-exclusive Pokémon restricted the ability to achieve that task.

I was surprised to learn that video was made right before Let's Go came out. Because he's absolutely wrong about Mew. And it's a pretty massive slip-up, because we've known how Mew works for quite a while.

Mew absolutely, positively cannot be transferred from Pokémon GO. It's locked behind the worst of event-exclusive methods. The separate purchase. You wanna catch 'em all? Cough up another 50 quid!

Last time we saw that kind of brazenness was 12 years ago with Manaphy and Pokémon Ranger. And at least that almost 50 quid purchase gave you a pretty fun spin-off to play.

I think the new found love for catching Pokémon was exploited to make more money, simple as. I don't know whether Game Freak, The Pokémon company or even Nintendo suggested the Pokè Ball plus Mew, but I know which one I'd put my money on.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Maybe you should listen to me more.

But you enjoyed Mystery Dungeon. 

So why would we? 

:D

• Haha 1

Just now, Aneres11 said:

But you enjoyed Mystery Dungeon. 

So why would we? 

:D

Because I enjoy Mystery Dungeon.

Don't ask stupid questions.

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Yes, the Mew thing is an oversight but the rest of video is pretty spot on, IMO.

The amount of Pokemon now is staggering and trying to get a complete dex takes a lot of time and effort. The point he makes about kids playing the original game and trying to catch them all compared to how the games are played now rings true to me. It got to the point where I just play the games from start to finish and call it a day, whereas when I played the original and Silver catching them all was a far more simpler but more rewarding affair. 

I think simplifying and taking the game back to basics is a step in the right direction and I hope to see more of these Lets Go games get made in the future.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Gotta admit. Never really thought about how "catching 'em all" has been more of a side thing these days. I mean, I still pull it off every game, because I'm a massive nerd, but I get the hypothesis.

The thing is, I don't actually agree with the suggestion that Game Freak were going for that. Strangely enough, it was because of that section in the video when he started talking about how the event-exclusive Pokémon restricted the ability to achieve that task.

Back in the day the mantra meant "Get one of each so you can cross it off your list", now you literally have to catch 'EM ALL. Otherwise you won't get strong enough if you don't enslave every Rattata you see,

I could see how this would appeal in Pokémon Go, but using it as the core amount of effort in a console game, especially if you like to play it on a TV you're forced to flick your wrist every time, is just something I won't be investing in (the missus has though, so Nintendo can be happy). The music is nice, it's colourful (although I saw a Drowzee win a battle with a black underbelly, was not impressed) but I only nipped into the Safari Zone in the older games for short time for a reason.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think simplifying and taking the game back to basics is a step in the right direction and I hope to see more of these Lets Go games get made in the future.

I mean, sooner or later, wouldn't that just cause the same issue where there's too many Pokémon to make catching them all unappealing?

Just now, Glen-i said:

I mean, sooner or later, wouldn't that just cause the same issue where there's too many Pokémon to make catching them all unappealing?

Not if they make them their own thing, with each generation being contained in their own game. It seems Lets Go isn't built for competitive play so there's no reason to keep bringing other generations forward in order to keep those type of players happy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Not if they make them their own thing, with each generation being contained in their own game. It seems Lets Go isn't built for competitive play so there's no reason to keep bringing other generations forward in order to keep those type of players happy.

Tell that to Ruby and Sapphire. A lot of people dropped off the series precisely because they couldn't transfer their old Pokémon.

And while that's fine in theory, what happens when you get to X/Y? (Yes, long way off, I know)

"Explore the Kalos region and catch all 71 Pokémon!" I can't imagine that would be received very well.

Edited by Glen-i

Who knows? All I can say is that I'm loving Lets Go and would love the series to continue into other generations, especially if they are indeed focused on the generation that the game is representing.

• Like 2

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Who knows? All I can say is that I'm loving Lets Go and would love the series to continue into other generations, especially if they are indeed focused on the generation that the game is representing.

I too like the Black/White approach. I also would like pigs to fly.

I just can't see a Pokémon game where the Gen 1 Pokémon don't steal the focus in some way ever happening again. Which is a massive shame.

Anyway...

Just picked up my next badge. :yay: I'm gonna try level up some of my team to get their final evolutions before heading to the next one.

I popped out to GAME this morning to trade in a bunch of PS4 games and was tempted to get the Pokeball controller but I managed to resist. They were pushing these games HARD. The whole counter was full of Pokemon merchandise.  

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Clownferret said:

That's crazy, I thought I was missing something!!! So the Pokeball is pretty pointless right?

AHHH! Shaking the pokeball twice acts as the Y button! Genius!

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I popped out to GAME this morning to trade in a bunch of PS4 games and was tempted to get the Pokeball controller but I managed to resist. They were pushing these games HARD. The whole counter was full of Pokemon merchandise.  

I remember popping in to GAME for the 20th Anniversary in 2016, and it was surprisingly packed — I could hardly walk in there. It was filled with people just picking up the VC versions of RBY, pre-ordering Sun and Moon, and picking up Mew codes. The counter was stacked that day, too: Pokémon amiibo, trading cards, t-shirts, posters, the whole lot. Same for when I went and picked up X back in 2013 — they had actually sold out of 2DSs that day, too, which was surprising given that I went in at 10:00!

I’d have to imagine that Pokémon releases are some of their biggest. I don’t know that many people who actually only buy a digital copy when a new Pokémon game releases, which is probably great news for stores like this in a time when digital sales are only going up. 

• Like 1

Nintendo really nailed the release of this to time with the Detective Pikachu trailer. Really helped build hype.

That Catch em all trailer is genius too. Can't believe it's an official one, seems like something a fan would make.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bob said:

Nintendo really nailed the release of this to time with the Detective Pikachu trailer. Really helped build hype.

That Catch em all trailer is genius too. Can't believe it's an official one, seems like something a fan would make.

Trust me, when Gen 1 is involved. The Pokémon Company go completely all out. They will do their best to hype the hell out of it.

Happy that Zangoose made the cut. I've always loved it's design.

2 minutes ago, bob said:

I sent one of my mates that trailer last night. He got insanely hyped and wanted the game ASAP. I nipped up to his house and sold him my Eevee copy of the game that I had picked up earlier, as Argos had already shut for the night. He spent the best part of the night playing the game. That trailer really pulls at the heart and nostalgia strings. :heart:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Glen-i said:

@Julius has a good point. It's all well and good if you like this approach, but there's no denying that this game excludes the kind of Pokémon fan who play the games for the deep gameplay that it brings. I mean, this is the first mainline Pokémon game I won't buy. That has to count for something.

Let's Go is an absolutely terrible substitute for those people.

But both audiences are satisfied with my approach - NEW GAMES/NEW GEN = All the bells and whistles as we'd expect - REMAKES = Lets Go Style.

I think we should allow Nintendo to cater these games to newer audiences, especially when they have clearly and strategically stated that a core game is out next year.

To me it didnt make sense how ORAS had the most updated features over XY. People only really buy remakes for the nostalgia...Lets Go remakes wont hurt.

Edited by Falcon_Black