N-Europe

Blade Strangers

Sméagol

A new 2D fighter made by the Studio Saizensen, the studio that made Code of Princess, and published by Nicalis. It features characters from both Studio Saizensen and Nicalis, and apparently some other surprise characters as well. It's a pretty traditional fighter, except the controls are simplified. Graphics are 2D, although they're made with the help of 3D models. It should release somewhere this Summer.

I made this thread, as yesterday they had this new character reveal:

Some info and gameplay:

Together with Street Fighter and Blazblue, it looks like I'll be doing some fighting this Summer.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sméagol said:

A new 2D fighter made by the Studio Saizensen, the studio that made Code of Princess, and published by Nicalis. It features characters from both Studio Saizensen and Nicalis, and apparently some other surprise characters as well. It's a pretty traditional fighter, except the controls are simplified. Graphics are 2D, although they're made with the help of 3D models.

Maybe that's what I couldn't put my finger on about the Code of Princess remake.  So the 2D frames have been based on the position of polygon models, like pre-rendered?

I think there could be a market for fighters with simplified controls, like this and SNK Heroines, as I've always quite liked them, but never been able to master a 6- or 4-button control scheme.

26 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Maybe that's what I couldn't put my finger on about the Code of Princess remake.  So the 2D frames have been based on the position of polygon models, like pre-rendered?

I think there could be a market for fighters with simplified controls, like this and SNK Heroines, as I've always quite liked them, but never been able to master a 6- or 4-button control scheme.

The original version of COP always used pre-rendered sprites.  The PC and Switch remaster just uses higher res versions of the same sprites.

3 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Man, Shovel Knight looks beefed up haha!

And that's not a voice that I would have expected!

They're playing this smart. I'm sure we can expect some other indie characters make an appearance. It already has a more interesting roster than Brawler. Yes they're two different type of fighters, but Blade Strangers is snapping up the better indie guest characters.

Bets on other characters? If we have a Gunvolt and Shovel Knight, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Shantae.

I also think this makes it unlikely these characters appear in Smash, though I'm not sure that's a problem (anymore). Smash will be guaranteed to be filled to the brim with characters, including a few high profile 3rd party characters, a fighter like this is actually a great place for guest indie characters. Like I said, they're playing this smart, unlike those guys from Brawler, who should have been on this from the start.

Edit:
Shantae is by far the most mentioned in the replies to that tweet. If for some reason she wasn't planed already, they kind of have to now. :p

Edit 2:
Hollow Knight maybe?

Edit 3:
Brawlout is the name.. :indeed:

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can imagine Angry Mob Games are a bit kisses with the announcement of this game and the steady stream of indie title characters being added to the roster. From what they said, that was their hope but they've been too slow off of the mark and with this coming in the Summer, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Brawlout ceasing to get much in the way of support towards the end of this year.

Hopefully this ends up being a good brawler. I've dipped in and out of Brawlout and it just doesn't gel with me. There's a very high skill curve to the play and I just don't think it all plays very well so I'm hoping that Blade Strangers manages to sidestep some of those issues and provides a more accessible, more fun and more bonkers style of play.

Curious to see who else they add to the roster. Hollow Knight would be a nice touch but I don't know if that'll happen. Perhaps the guy from Furi, maybe the Drifter even (with a better moveset than in Brawlout). Will be keeping an eye out to see who else makes the cut and whether there will be continued support after release. Consider me interested anyway.

Well I’ll be.  Damn; was thinking he’d make a great addition to Brawlout...

Nicalis are pumping out a crazy amount of releases! They always seem to bite off more than they can chew though, so I reckon that none of these will come out for some time...

Also, how in the blue hell did they get the rights to Astro Boy and Blackjack!? That’s nuts! :o 

With them currently working with Treasure, and seemingly holding the rights to Astro Boy (no, seriously, HOW!?) I wonder if there’s actually a chance that they might be able to revive this little GBA gem...

Astro_Boy_-_Omega_Factor_Coverart.png

Please!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...