Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Recommended Posts

Someone mocked up a nice little visual table showing the mostly English voice actor situation when it comes to Smash.

cNS5tYK_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Note that this refers to all 5 Smash games. So for example, even though Mario still reuses his voice clips from Brawl these days, they were specially recorded from Charles Martinet for Smash Bros Brawl. So it still fits in the first category.

I like this kind of stuff because I'm a big nerd.

The weird thing is that I'm normally not keen on Smash characters reusing all their voice clips from other games, but not with Banjo. I wouldn't have his voice any other way. Something about hearing his and Kazooie's N64 voice clips puts a big smile on my face.

It's also interesting that they got the original male Robin voice to do work for Smash, but had to recast the female one. Wonder what happened there?

Adam Howden as Shulk is still the best voice though.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, I thought Sakurai cast himself as Dedede for Smash? Or did he also voice him in the Anime?

They might also be mixing up Robin and Lucina. To my knowledge, Lauren Landa has always voiced default Female Robin, and Smash is no exception. But Lucina, who used to be voiced by Laura Bailey, is voiced by Alexis Tipton these days (due to a voice actor's union thing), and I think that includes Smash (even if it were Bailey in SSBU, they would have to use old clips)

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Wait, I thought Sakurai cast himself as Dedede for Smash? Or did he also voice him in the Anime?

They might also be mixing up Robin and Lucina. To my knowledge, Lauren Landa has always voiced default Female Robin, and Smash is no exception. But Lucina, who used to be voiced by Laura Bailey, is voiced by Alexis Tipton these days (due to a voice actor's union thing), and I think that includes Smash (even if it were Bailey in SSBU, they would have to use old clips)

Sakurai did the voice for Dedede in Kirby 64. So yeah, he's the original Japanese voice. Naturally, he did some new recordings for Brawl.

You might be right about Robin and Lucina, I didn't really look into that. It would explain a lot though.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

content-4-36088-supersmashbrosultimatemegasizedbattlestournamentbanner.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate goes mega-sized for its latest tournament

Every character is Mega-Sized in this latest tournament so that you can reenact Godzilla style battles except with your favourite Nintendo or third-party characters.

The tournament will start on Friday, December 20th and will last for three days.

(Also, I just noticed... Page Sixty-Fouuuuuuuur!) :D

Edited by S.C.G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

content-4-36097-supersmashbrosultimateshortsspiritseventbanner.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirits event 'Comfy and Easy to Wear' is now live

This event will last for three short days so don't get too comfortable as some of these spirits surely won't be easy and might even wear on your patience.

But it will be worth beating them to make your spirit collection complete again, until then you may find you're a few spirits short.

OK, that's enough forced short references now, time to cut this post off at the knees. :D

Still, a great theme for the last spirit event of 2019. :smile:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice guy Sakurai, hosting a summerwear event right as the southern hemisphere summer is starting, even though he's such a northern hemispherer. What a guy!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ironic thing about that event is that the title is a Pokémon reference, but all the spirits from that series don't wear shorts (Machamp wears Speedos, so it doesn't count), so there can't be any Pokémon ones there.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The next tourney category focuses on stuff introduced in Melee.

I gotta say, I like the promotional render they did for it.

4009_news.jpg

Appreciate the effort put into recreating the original menu poses.

Character_selection_melee.png

That's the closest you're getting to Melee HD.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

content-4-36101-supersmashbrosultimatemeleetournamentbanner.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate hosts a Melee style tournament, starting today

A little bit late on the news posting with this one (I was going to post it the other day) but in another way just in time because it starts today.

Three day event, you can only pick Melee characters, stages and items... what's not to love? :D

I even dug out the link to our original review for Super Smash Bros. Melee in the article so check that out if you like.

A fantastic event to start Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's second year on the Switch and a good way to raise the series' profile in 2020. :smile:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

 

I even dug out the link to our original review for Super Smash Bros. Melee in the article so check that out if you like.

 

Bloody hell Shane, that's not what the Freezie does, you silly man! Been using too much of the Ice Climbers' Neutral B, eh?

(And what is that Decision Mode business? Something only included in review copies or something?)

Man, reading old reviews is such a weird mental rush. It's like going bungee-jumping through time, vertigo included.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sakurai has posted some of the screenshots he’s taken during gameplay.  I’ve always loved how inventive & creative the team have been in this and past titles, and his screenshots continue to show just how creative he is!

https://gonintendo.com/stories/352063-masahiro-sakurai-shares-his-personal-smash-bros-ultimate-picture

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/01/gallery_masahiro_sakurai_shares_the_photos_hes_taken_in_smash_bros_ultimate

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Bloody hell Shane, that's not what the Freezie does, you silly man! Been using too much of the Ice Climbers' Neutral B, eh?

(And what is that Decision Mode business? Something only included in review copies or something?)

Man, reading old reviews is such a weird mental rush. It's like going bungee-jumping through time, vertigo included.

9 out of 10? Makes me wonder what a 10 looks like in "Shane's" books :nono: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People really need to let go of Mele... waitaminute.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HERE WE GO!

That's 2pm here in the UK.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

HERE WE GO!

That's 3pm here.

Time for Wart to be unleashed!

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Time for Wart to be unleashed!

Well, it's about time the Zelda series got a new character!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hope we finally get a sword-wielding Fire Emblem character 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm guys...

300?cb=20120627075127&path-prefix=en

Also while googling this I found this image as well and had to share.

kirby_hamster_house_by_sak_soon_dc2i2qv-

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Really hope we finally get a sword-wielding Fire Emblem character 

You're joking, but even when Ultimate doesn't devote that much effort to a Fire Emblem character, it still manages to get slack for that.

Chrom didn't stop people's favourite character getting in.

I'd be surprised if a Three Houses character didn't get in eventually though. Not now, but in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll probably find out before the livestream because it will get leaked if it hasn't already :/

 

Still excited to see who is going to complete Season 1 of the Pass though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

We'll probably find out before the livestream because it will get leaked if it hasn't already :/

Well, it's only two days away, I think we can trust other N-E peeps to keep that kind of discussion out of here.

I know I'm staying away from other sites until then.

EDIT: Oh, before I forget, my money is on some kind of Capcom character. Not sure who though. But I just have a feeling.

Edited by Glen-i

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well, it's only two days away, I think we can trust other N-E peeps to keep that kind of discussion out of here.

I know I'm staying away from other sites until then.

EDIT: Oh, before I forget, my money is on some kind of Capcom character. Not sure who though. But I just have a feeling.

Minish Cap Link?

Or Viewtiful Joe, that would be rad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ashley said:

Or Viewtiful Joe, that would be rad. 

You're like @Dcubed, he insists that if Capcom gets a new character, it'll be Joe.

My argument is that Joe is about as niche as you can get. Capcom has way bigger series going on that still aren't in Smash.

You're right about him being rad though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You're like @Dcubed, he insists that if Capcom gets a new character, it'll be Joe.

My argument is that Joe is about as niche as you can get. Capcom has way bigger series going on that still aren't in Smash.

You're right about him being rad though.

I thought his money was on Arthur making an appearance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You're like @Dcubed, he insists that if Capcom gets a new character, it'll be Joe.

My argument is that Joe is about as niche as you can get. Capcom has way bigger series going on that still aren't in Smash.

You're right about him being rad though.

It would be a nice way to honour the Capcom Fiveish.

I don't really know many Capcom franchises but maybe Devil May Cry?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now