N-Europe

Lost Sphear (Tokyo RPG Factory)

Hero-of-Time

Looks a lot like I am Setsuna, clearly reusing the same engine. Might be an ok time, we'll see.

At least the settings look a lot more varied in this game. From what I played and seen of Setsuna it was all set in the snow and everything looked pretty much the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, drahkon said:

Just played 20 minutes of the PS4 demo and I can't put my finger on why, but it bored me senseless. Maybe it's the battle system, the bland graphics, the uninspiring music or D: all of the above. ::shrug:

Setsuna was also all of the above. I stopped playing it for those very reasons, although I would still like to go back and finish it at some point.

• Thanks 1

Just a personal viewpoint, but I really feel RPGs have taken a turn for the bland in recent years.  I think it started when the "AAA" J-RPGs, like Xenoblade Chronicles (although I suppose you could trace it back to Final Fantasy XII), started to mimic real-time Western RPGs, leaving the traditional RPGs to imitate the classic Final Fantasy style (I'm thinking Bravely Default onwards).  They're not terrible, but can be a bit unremarkable.  It's a bit of a shame as I'd prefer J-RPGs to go back to the Dragon Quest VIII style - big (but not too big), colourful and somewhat daring.

• Like 1

Yeah Bravely Default was an utterly generic experience, even if the battle system was quite finely tuned. I remember playing it in utter disbelief how far narrative standards and level design had fallen in the 10 or so years since Final Fantasy IX. I would love if PS1 era FF-style RPGs returned to Switch in true form.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Grazza said:

Just a personal viewpoint, but I really feel RPGs have taken a turn for the bland in recent years.  I think it started when the "AAA" J-RPGs, like Xenoblade Chronicles (although I suppose you could trace it back to Final Fantasy XII), started to mimic real-time Western RPGs, leaving the traditional RPGs to imitate the classic Final Fantasy style (I'm thinking Bravely Default onwards).  They're not terrible, but can be a bit unremarkable.  It's a bit of a shame as I'd prefer J-RPGs to go back to the Dragon Quest VIII style - big (but not too big), colourful and somewhat daring.

Octopath Traveller might well be the panecea you need!

Have you tried the demo? I loved it! Old school stylings but has plenty of novel ideas; be it the Bravely Default and FF10 inspired (with a twist!) battle system or the novel 8 way story, with each character having unique capabilities.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Wii U is also pretty unique, despite being an old fashioned turn based RPG!

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Octopath Traveller might well be the panecea you need!

Have you tried the demo? I loved it! Old school stylings but has plenty of novel ideas; be it the Bravely Default and FF10 inspired (with a twist!) battle system or the novel 8 way story, with each character having unique capabilities.

Oh yes, I was quite impressed in some ways.  Those enemy sprites are amazing - if only they were animated!  It's hard to explain, but the tone of J-RPGs has become overly sincere and nostalgia-seeking.  On the other end of the scale I find most Atlus RPGs overly futuristic (apart from Etrian Odyssey), so perhaps I'm just fussy!  I prefer the fairytale style done in a human way.

30 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Oh yes, I was quite impressed in some ways.  Those enemy sprites are amazing - if only they were animated!  It's hard to explain, but the tone of J-RPGs has become overly sincere and nostalgia-seeking.  On the other end of the scale I find most Atlus RPGs overly futuristic (apart from Etrian Odyssey), so perhaps I'm just fussy!  I prefer the fairytale style done in a human way.

I think this is exactly why Dragon Quest has such a strong following. Sure, they messed around with the MMO style for X but for the most part the series has stayed strong to its roots.

• Thanks 1