NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

I'm running out of steam in my day to day life atm, but it just so happens that Nintendo and the Switch have been the same this past week, so while I haven't had the drive to post much, thankfully there wasn't much missed either! 

Hopefully I get a boost in the coming week or two! 

I do wonder what Nintendo's social media accounts will post when Paper Mario is out, they have been living on a diet of short Paper Mario clips for over a month now lol 

34 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

I'm running out of steam in my day to day life atm, but it just so happens that Nintendo and the Switch have been the same this past week, so while I haven't had the drive to post much, thankfully there wasn't much missed either! 

Hopefully I get a boost in the coming week or two! 

I do wonder what Nintendo's social media accounts will post when Paper Mario is out, they have been living on a diet of short Paper Mario clips for over a month now lol 

[Image - 13882] | Demotivational Posters | Know Your Meme

A little lull before the June Direct. Mixed in with the trailers, I saw an advert for Luigi's Mansion 2 at the cinema so that could be what they move on to promoting next. Looked far better on the big screen than TotK! Did you ever get Plumbers Don't Wear Ties reviewed?

This week sees the release of a seminal RPG, upgraded, QoL enhanced, and streamlined for the modern audience: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. The Switch/ eShop has been tremendous for bringing these kinds of games our way. Just a pity about the pricing—£35 (at least there's 10% off to begin with). It's done by Digital Eclipse. I was able to nab Turtles Cowabunga Collection on the cheap so hoping Wizardry will be ripe for price reduction too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/05/2024 at 2:35 PM, darksnowman said:

[Image - 13882] | Demotivational Posters | Know Your Meme

A little lull before the June Direct. Mixed in with the trailers, I saw an advert for Luigi's Mansion 2 at the cinema so that could be what they move on to promoting next. Looked far better on the big screen than TotK! Did you ever get Plumbers Don't Wear Ties reviewed?

This week sees the release of a seminal RPG, upgraded, QoL enhanced, and streamlined for the modern audience: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. The Switch/ eShop has been tremendous for bringing these kinds of games our way. Just a pity about the pricing—£35 (at least there's 10% off to begin with). It's done by Digital Eclipse. I was able to nab Turtles Cowabunga Collection on the cheap so hoping Wizardry will be ripe for price reduction too.

That looks like a cool dungeon crawler! I would definitely be interested if it was cheaper, so we'll see.

I'm glad to hear Luigi's Mansion has fared better, I saw an ad for TOTK in the cinema too, before the Mario movie I think, and it looked really rough. Not sure if that's just what 720p looks like blown up on the big screen or if for some reason the advert was even lower quality than in-game!

I haven't got Plumbers Don't Wear Ties yet! It definitely would have been something I'd have enjoyed back in the day for laughs, but doesn't seem my bag anymore, especially not now we don't get actual review codes and I'd have to buy it myself :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wizardry now on the front page!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a short demo for Duck Detective. 10-15 minutes depending on if you skip through the text or listen to it. You're tasked with checking around for clues in the form of keywords that you use to fill in the blanks in sentences and gather intel on characters... i.e. make deducktions. It seems pretty cool though being able to navigate through the menus with the dpad would be the icing on the cake. Yes, it has a dedicated quack button.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, darksnowman said:

There's a short demo for Duck Detective. 10-15 minutes depending on if you skip through the text or listen to it. You're tasked with checking around for clues in the form of keywords that you use to fill in the blanks in sentences and gather intel on characters... i.e. make deducktions. It seems pretty cool though being able to navigate through the menus with the dpad would be the icing on the cake. Yes, it has a dedicated quack button.

Thank you for mentioning the demo. Tried it out, and liked what I played.

Besides oozing with silly charm, this is a detective game that actually throws legit red herrings at you, you'd think that would be the default design choice, but somehow, it's rare to see such a thing in the genre.

Will be keeping an eye out for this.

On 03/06/2024 at 2:39 AM, S.C.G said:

Downloaded this demo due to seeing it flagged up on N-E but yet to try it.

Kittey 64 looks all right, though not totally like an N64 game. :indeed: I have gold coins to get through by the end of July so I'm going to keep it in mind.

There's a little demo for On Your Tail (has been shown in some previous Directs/Showcases). In it, you're tasked with two things: look into a robbery and a go for a walk/ tour with another character. I also played marbles with him. It wasn't massively exciting but apparently you'll be doing similar activities with other characters in the full thing. You're always amassing a stash of cards on characters and everything which you can rotate to check the info on the back of each. The way the investigation part worked is pretty cool—you use your chronomer (?) to look around and find out what changed during the crime—like a hat knocked to the ground—then when you've got all the clues, you're presented with a top-down miniature of the scene and you have to put the clues/events in order to solve what went down. Kinda nifty. Seems like fun.

You can pick up a fishing rod and go fishing too by pressing right on the d-pad. If you try to nosey around too much, it comments on there being invisible walls as it is only a demo.

Lacks a touch of optimisation with loading (on Switch, anyway) as a new area will appear then disappear into the void before it fully loads back in. Otherwise, it looks pretty swish and like some care has gone into it. Something to point you in the direction of your chosen objective might be handy too. 

On 03/06/2024 at 2:39 AM, S.C.G said:

Umbraclaw – Free Demo

I played this for a bit before going on holidays. It's a good platforming game, albeit one where the main character feels very fragile.

To my surprise, the power-ups you get each time you die are random. I can see a game like this have immense replayability. In that sense, it's classic IntiCreates: they always want the player to practise and improve a variety of platforming skills.

I can see this becoming a hidden gem.

• Thanks 1

Metroid Prime Remastered is 30% off (down to £24.49) and Metroid Dread is 33% off (down to £33.29) on the eShop until 30th June, following this week's Metroid news in the Direct. 

If you've been holding out for a digital version of these games for whatever reason, I guess now might be the time to pick them up! :peace:

On 29/12/2023 at 8:26 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

This was released today.

It's got good reviews on Steam and the reviewer over on NintendoLife liked it a lot. For the sake of £4, I'm tempted to give it a whirl.

Thanks for highlighting this.

Spotted it on sale so I went ahead and got it since I've gold points expiring and was in the market for something finishable in short order. Chico and the Magic Orchards DX fit the bill nicely. After a mere three play sessions I finished it with all the accomplishments bar play it on Tough as a Nut difficulty. It's a fun little game that makes good use of a simple mechanic—rolling a nut around and the handful of different ways that's employed.

I thought it was a nice touch the Gameboy-green colour palette is called Windfish.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Thanks for highlighting this.

Fun coincidence, I bought it too. Haven't started it yet, mind. But I bought it because of H-o-T's write up in the Gaming Diary thread.

Developers might have to start paying him for advertising at this rate.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

On 22/06/2024 at 1:52 PM, Glen-i said:

Fun coincidence, I bought it too. Haven't started it yet, mind. But I bought it because of H-o-T's write up in the Gaming Diary thread.

There's so much on the eShop, I feel whenever anything gets singled out it's usually worth hearting it onto the wishlist for later consideration. As long as you've your expectations calibrated, I'm sure you'll get some enjoyment from Chico and the Magic Orchards DX too.

15 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Good work on the direct coverage this week Sammy lad!

• Thanks 1

On 22/06/2024 at 1:52 PM, Glen-i said:

I thought I was having some crazy form of deja vu as I definitely remembered seeing that cute cover art, then realised the quoted message was from months ago lol.

I'm NOT going crazy 🤣

https://www.n-europe.com/news/chico-and-the-magic-orchards-out-now/

On 6/20/2024 at 11:13 AM, Julius said:

Metroid Prime Remastered is 30% off (down to £24.49) and Metroid Dread is 33% off (down to £33.29) on the eShop until 30th June, following this week's Metroid news in the Direct. 

If you've been holding out for a digital version of these games for whatever reason, I guess now might be the time to pick them up! :peace:

Reminder that the Prime Remastered and Dread sale comes to an end on Sunday! 

:peace:

I never knew this was a thing! 

I played and loved the first game on the PS4 last year. Chuffed that it got a sequel.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Did anyone end up getting TOEM: A Photo Adventure? I've spent a lovely eight hours going through the main game plus an extra area they've bolted on. Honestly, within the first few minutes of starting, I was feeling some buyer's remorse but when I got the bus to the first proper area and started to see what the game would be asking of me, I was on board. It's sort of like an adventure point-and-click game where you become very familiar with your surroundings, snap pics rather than pick up and use items (though you do obtain a couple of things) to tick quests off your list in each area. You don't have to do them all; a certain amount will let you move on. There were a few headscratchers which ended up being tasks you complete across several locations and right at the end I was doing laps looking for the final plant to water and of course it had been right in front of me the entire time. Once you start picking up on what you will be looking for it's easy to take worthwhile pics as you go for potential use later.

Each area has more to do than the last, so it was beginning to look a bit daunting as quests started to have multiple requirements, but once you've seen every screen you quickly get the lay of the land and it feels good to figure out the solutions.

Cool game. Tons of heart. The credits showed some of the pics I'd taken which was a very nice touch to personalise it. 

And yes, there is a moment of colour.

• Thanks 2