NEurope
Ashley

Languages

Ah, I see! Does it unlock more once you get to the end? I guess as they only just added Japanese it could be limited so I'm not sure.

I really like the way this works but it seems to only like American english for a lot of the questions where you have to type out an answer.

I do hope they add more and pad out the Japanese, I could see myself using this a lot.

I think at the moment the Japanese course isn't finished yet, so I imagine they will be adding more to it as they finish it off. And there might still be errors in it as well, so do report things that are wrong (they rely heavily on the community to report errors I think).

I've been trying to study some Spanish through Duolingo, but I don't know how much of it is actually sticking heh. I've heard @Fierce_LiNk practicing Italian and I already seem to know more of the Italian vocabulary than I do Spanish, simply because I studied Latin. So maybe I should just switch to that. :P

It sounds like we have a lot of Duolinguians on here. We should add each other!

Started using that app now, too as I wanted to get back to Japanese again.

You can add me: Radi314587 (I assume you need the username to add me).

Added you, Eenuh and Ashley, as well :D

I can recommend the app Kana Town to make learning Hiragana (Katakana, too) a little more efficient.

Added you guys too, my username is WillJP. I also made an N-Europe club, though I'm not sure what that does, the code is MRPTNG if you want to join.

I'm actually going to Japan in a month. Do you think I'd be able to learn anything useful in that time?

From what I've seen of Duolingo you're not going to learn anything useable from it in a month. I think you'd be better off finding a phrase book and trying to memorize things you think you're going to use.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bob said:

I'm actually going to Japan in a month. Do you think I'd be able to learn anything useful in that time?

Probably agree with @will' here. The app spends a lot of time getting you used to the lettering system, so you actually learn very few "words" or translations. If you need to get by and will be doing little reading or writing, then a phrase book is probably more useful as a short term solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, will' said:

Added you guys too, my username is WillJP. I also made an N-Europe club, though I'm not sure what that does, the code is MRPTNG if you want to join.

Really because I had a user called something like Will220998 add me and assumed it was you.

I may have added a few people then changed the annoying default username afterwards.

I'm getting the hang of being able to read the Japanese words and make the sounds. I think having to read Arabic as a kid has helped with that. The next bit is remembering the information, which I know will come with time and repetition.

I've fallen so behind with everything because of everything going on in my life at the moment.  Keeping on top of the bare minimum of Duolingo, but plenty of things need boosting and not looked at Memrise for days and afraid to now!

Learning Japanese is a little weird with Duolingo. The words are fine, but I think learning some of the phrases is a little early. Especially with Kanji in it.

@Fierce_LiNk You should definitely get the app Kana Town which I've linked in an earlier post and focus on reading Hiragana and Katakana.

13 hours ago, drahkon said:

Learning Japanese is a little weird with Duolingo. The words are fine, but I think learning some of the phrases is a little early. Especially with Kanji in it.

@Fierce_LiNk You should definitely get the app Kana Town which I've linked in an earlier post and focus on reading Hiragana and Katakana.

I've given the app a try and it's pretty good.

I've been focusing on Hiragana to begin with and I'm scoring 20+/26 when doing the tests. There's just a few symbols here and there which are messing me up.

• Like 1

Blitzed through some Duolingo this afternoon (still ignoring Memrise for now).  Still got 30 subjects to refresh 😬 Only got five more left before I complete Italian but its been stuck at 47% complete for months shrug ::shrug:

Those 5 subjects have 36 lessons.  I am 30 days away from having started this in a year.  Hmmm... 

Interesting, I've spent the last few weeks trying to improve on my Japanese which has suffered badly over the last few years. Recently I've been chatting online, spoke via Skype and met up with an old friend about a week ago where we spoke English and Japanese for quite a while, I think it's slowly coming back to me.

I've only just heard about Duolingo in Japanese and there's a few YouTube videos talking about it but I've not used it yet. I did try the Vietnamese Duolingo a few days ago but didn't get very far with it but have found someone in Vietnam who is going to help me out as long I can help them improve on their English so I should be ok.

Edited by sumo73

I've gone back to Duolingo for Japanese and am making better progress now due to being muuuuuch more comfortable with Hiragana and Katakana. Kana Town has helped a lot there, @drahkon. Can anyone recommend a good Kanji learning app. I'm using Kanji study and am just finding it too convoluted to use properly.

My Spanish has definitely improved over the last week. A lot of stuff has come back to me and I'm getting better with my tenses.

• Like 1

So...I was just jumping from the Duolingo mobile app to the desktop and noticed that High Valyrian has now been added! :D

I've had a quick go just for funs. Quite enjoying it!

tumblr_n794xswxAb1s2wc30o1_500.gif

• Like 1

Just five more lessons before I complete the Italian course on Duolingo

The plan after that is to keep the strength bars updated, focus more on memorise and then do self-taught grammar lessons.  I've learnt some stuff through osmosis, but I think it would be good to focus on particular areas I know are problematic for me (namely all the conjugations and tenses that we don't have/do!)

• Like 2

Congratulations, @Ashley.

I've reached the end of the Spanish course, but I know that I'm basically going to be redoing things oooover and ooooover until they stick. Conjugations are a pain. Comparing it to other languages, this might be an area where I think Dutch actually is easier for me. Tense and conjugation wise, it's not too tricky. It's just the word order that fucks me up.

Finally did it!!

DFCecyzXUAABPiI.jpg

Lol at the proficiency percentage being 49%.  I don't trust that algorithm at all.  It was mid 50s end of last year and it went down a bit because I wasn't learning new stuff and hasn't really gone back up.  

• Like 2

Congratulatioooons!

The proficiency bit has never made sense to me. It's a bit strange how it's worked out and I don't think it's very meaningful at all. The "words" section at the top is great, however. It tells you that there's roughly 2100-2200 words that you have learned in Spanish, for example. That's more useful, imo. Wish they had that in the Dutch language section.

7 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Congratulatioooons!

The proficiency bit has never made sense to me. It's a bit strange how it's worked out and I don't think it's very meaningful at all. The "words" section at the top is great, however. It tells you that there's roughly 2100-2200 words that you have learned in Spanish, for example. That's more useful, imo. Wish they had that in the Dutch language section.

Yeah my plan is to go through that and the similar Memrise feature and build myself some flashcards to practice those a bit more.