NEurope
Serebii

Ultra Street Fighter 2 - The Final Challengers (2017)

I'm probably more interested in downloading Street Fighter II Turbo when it inevitably reaches the Switch VC..

What Capcom have offered here is a very meh offering when you consider what other developers have released or are releasing soon.

Just last week WB released Injustice 2 for around £40. For a £5 more you are getting a fantastic story mode that has multiple routes. A robust online set up that features one on one battles, spectator modes and KOTH. A clan/guild system that allows you to earn rewards as members of your guild play and increase the guild rank. Multiverse mode that give players challenges that change from day to day. The difference in content is quite staggering.

Namco are also set to release Tekken 7 next week. Once again this will offer far more bang for your buck.

It is a cash grab by Capcom. Hopefully this bombs hard.

This should of been a £15 eShop title at best.

Edited by liger05

It is a cash grab by Capcom. Hopefully this bombs hard.

This should of been a £15 eShop title at best.

I dont think it'll bomb, nostalgia will play a big part in this selling at least a hundred thousand.

Will quite a few Switch owners buy it just to have something new to play?

That is a serious question by the way, I don't pay much attention to the Switch and it's current library of games.

I dont think it'll bomb, nostalgia will play a big part in this selling at least a hundred thousand.

That is a serious question by the way, I don't pay much attention to the Switch and it's current library of games.

I don't think people buy games just for something new to play. That's a myth.

I don't think people buy games just for something new to play. That's a myth.

I've done this many times. Hell, many people buy games to just stick on the shelf and never play them.

I've done this many times. Hell, many people buy games to just stick on the shelf and never play them.

Well of course but I'm talking substantial numbers. Games don't sell large amounts due to people bored and wanting something new to play.

The regular wii u bombas are testament to that.

I actually do reckon it's gonna do surprisingly well in terms of sales. It's launching at the perfect time, in the interim between MK8DX and ARMS, on a console that is white hot fire and sells software like cocaine.

Super Bomberman R has sold over 500K WW at full price retail, I can easily see USF2 doing similar numbers at "budget" price. It's tapping into that same audience and is banking heavily on SNES nostalgia (same as SBR) and easy multiplayer fun that just about anyone can understand and play. It's also a bigger brand in general. It's gonna do well, despite the price.

I actually do reckon it's gonna do surprisingly well in terms of sales. It's launching at the perfect time, in the interim between MK8DX and ARMS, on a console that is white hot fire and sells software like cocaine.

Super Bomberman R has sold over 500K WW at full price retail, I can easily see USF2 doing similar numbers at "budget" price. It's tapping into that same audience and is banking heavily on SNES nostalgia (same as SBR) and easy multiplayer fun that just about anyone can understand and play. It's also a bigger brand in general. It's gonna do well, despite the price.

Unfortunately you could be right.

... :blank:

What kind of person would do that? :heh:

*stares at huge towering backlog*

Oh yeah... :blush:

I'll play them all one day, including Ultra Street Fighter 2... it's definitely not just going to sit on the Switch shelf for months on end. :D

I hope... :hmm:

I'll buy it but there's too much for me to play on Switch at the moment to sink too much time into it, so I'll probably get round to it if there's a gap after Arms or Splatoon 2, or Mario + Rabbids

... :blank:

What kind of person would do that?

Haha. I wasn't having a pop at you, Sam. I was just making a point that people buy games for different reasons.

I'm back and forth as to buy this but if I do it will be pretty much for the reason that Lostmario stated. I'm coming to an end to my Switch Zelda run ( just need 20 more Star Fragments and 10 more shrines ), finished Bomberman, played through Blaster Master twice, Kamiko was done after 3 play throughs, I'm at the final world on Graceful Explosion Machine, Dark Witch is finished with everything unlocked and Mario Kart is just for popping on now and again.

Haha. I wasn't having a pop at you, Sam. I was just making a point that people buy games for different reasons.

It's cool, I know that. :D

Sometimes I wonder though as a lot of games do sit on my shelves unplayed for a long time, so it's more me poking fun at myself, trying to make light of what's a bit of a ridiculous situation as I really, really do want to play a lot of these games. :)

I can't honestly say that I'm not buying Ultra Street Fighter II partly so that I can see another space on my Switch Shelf™ taken up by one of those lovely red-spined compact game cases. :love:

The allure of classic Street Fighter is certainly strong in any case, 'dat nostalgia. :wink:

I actually do that a lot, but more with eShop/Virtual Console games. Since I've owned the Switch, I've bought six Neo Geo games just to have a bigger library to play (thankfully most of them are good). I'd definitely be much more reluctant to do that with a full-price retail game, but it's not out of the question.

With Ultra Street Fighter II, I suspect the game is good, but reviewers have had to mark it down hugely because of the price. If an eShop-only game is overpriced, you can be reasonably confident that it'll soon be reduced. Unfortunately it seems like Capcom were determined that USFII be a retail game, and filled it out for the sake of it, rather than make the game and set the price afterwards.

I've bought it. Love street fighter 2. I'm not ecstatic about the price and the lack of new content, same with bomberman; but ultimately I want to play it.

With Ultra Street Fighter II, I suspect the game is good, but reviewers have had to mark it down hugely because of the price.

Yeah, price does factor into various reviews. There were many reviews for Kamiko which openly stated that the game would get a lower score if the price had been any higher. It's about finding that balance.

A big problem with this release is that it's essentially the HD Remix games that were released all those years ago on PSN/XBLA. Back then the game was around £12-£14. It's a hefty mark up to £35 for what is pretty much the same game but with a few added features, one of which is supposed to be terrible.

I've bought it. Love street fighter 2. I'm not ecstatic about the price and the lack of new content, same with bomberman; but ultimately I want to play it.

At least with Bomberman the game was new.

To be fair this goes hand in hand with the way Capcom operate at the moment. They are circling the drain and they seem to be desperately trying to port everything they can in an effort to make money without any effort.

new interview with the CEO of Capcom

http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/173037

General points (talks about current title/old IP/Mobile/esports/Switch):

RE7/MHXX underperformed

Capcom were too cautious in sending retail stores units of RE7 at first causing the title to have problems growing

Some users were encountering difficulties with the download version of MHXX which he believes turned off other customers from buying the game

Users are happy with the quality of both RE7/MHXX and sales have been good for the current fiscal quarter

Talks about the the strengths of selling games and other services via digital stores like PSN

Capcom categories the strengths of these digital stores for them into two seperate categories; moving old titles to current gen machines and selling them digitally, and data on users which can be used to strengthen their marketing department sincelots of stats like how many people are playing the game or how many people reach the ending

Good year for the traditional video game industry with additional shipments of PSVR, Nintendo Switch, and Project Scorpio all out this year

Uses his own primary school daughter as an example of a child who never wanted a home console before but wants a Switch

The important thing regarding Switch for software makers is what they users want

Cites the DS/Wii as examples of hardware with explosive hardware sales that at the start of their cycles did well thanks to Nintendo showing others how to make games fitting of the hardware, while third parties originally struggled on these platforms and didn't sell very well

Capcom aims to develop many different things for different hardware and is currently researching

In regards to Switch, Capcom will think of how to support the Switch while looking at how Street Fighter 2 does on the system in May

Asked about resurrecting old I.P by the interviewer after talking about the recent announcement of Capcom vs Marvel

Capcom wants to resurrect old I.P, but doing so makes many problems crop up

One of these problems is that they don't have enough people

The lack of people is due to the fast advancement of tech making every title require more people than ever

Also the development of their current I.P and new I.P means they have even less time to bring back old titles

In regards to their lack of success in the mobile game sector, he notes that their titles are interesting and people are playing them

They are not making profits due to their lack of in app purchases

Capcom hopes to partner with our businesses who have had success in the mobile sector in order to cover for their weaknesses in the mobile sector and make more money

Talks about E-sports around the world and how it is producing pro gamers

Notes their own companies Street Fighter 5

Notes the strict laws in Japan that make giving large pools of prize money at e-sporting events not possible

Unbelievable.

Oh well. Nice knowing you Capcom. They won't be back if they are using SFII as a measurement for success

This falls into the same catergory as Bomberman and Tetris for me. £10-£15 cheaper and it's a definite purchase.

It's a shame because genuine 2D (without all the polygon fluff), well-priced eShop continuations of Street Fighter, Final Fight, Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Mega Man would be brilliant. Sticking to the retail business model for such games isn't going to work.

I'm determined not to let my Switch home screen get into the same mess as my Wii U and, more significantly, 3DS!

I picked up the odd downloadable game, some on sale while others made up part of a Humble Bundle, but I have little to no desire to play most, if not all, of them.. and I hate seeing them take up space on my menu yet don't feel quite right deleting them :blank:

I'm way more selective these days and actually traded in a handful of old games this afternoon that were just wasting space in a box at the bottom of my wardrobe. I did use the funds to bolster my Dreamcast collection with Grandia II.. not that I have any idea when I'll get around to it :red:

I'm determined not to let my Switch home screen get into the same mess as my Wii U and, more significantly, 3DS!

I picked up the odd downloadable game, some on sale while others made up part of a Humble Bundle, but I have little to no desire to play most, if not all, of them.. and I hate seeing them take up space on my menu yet don't feel quite right deleting them :blank:

I'm way more selective these days and actually traded in a handful of old games this afternoon that were just wasting space in a box at the bottom of my wardrobe. I did use the funds to bolster my Dreamcast collection with Grandia II.. not that I have any idea when I'll get around to it :red:

I've found it pretty easy to keep on top of Switch releases. There's only been Zelda that has been a time sink and the rest of the games i've picked up are either mulitplayer focused or pretty short. I'm tempted to pick up Disgaea 5 as that should last a fair few hours.

I've found it pretty easy to keep on top of Switch releases. There's only been Zelda that has been a time sink and the rest of the games i've picked up are either mulitplayer focused or pretty short. I'm tempted to pick up Disgaea 5 as that should last a fair few hours.

I only currently own Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Snipperclips on Switch (which has been plenty so far :smile:) and am happy to wait for ARMS, Splatoon 2 and the Virtual Console over the next few months until Super Mario Odyssey!

Nintendo just emailed to say although the game has been sent, it won't arrive today. So they gave me a digital code of the game :)

Nintendo just emailed to say although the game has been sent, it won't arrive today. So they gave me a digital code of the game :)

Well now, Someone's selling off their physical copy.