NEurope
Serebii

Ultra Street Fighter 2 - The Final Challengers (2017)

Loads of people on twitter link all these videos, he just takes them from that. This was released by capcom, it's a 3 hour presentation and this was a bit of it.

Had no idea. Speaking of the first person mode, isn't this a gigantic indicator to some VR on Switch? (or at least Capcom's aspiration to head SF into VR)

I'll just leave this here.

Awful car to begin with, but the sprite didn't look like it belongs in Street Fighter at all.

Awful car to begin with, but the sprite didn't look like it belongs in Street Fighter at all.

I think you're expecting a bit too much from a car advert...

Super Street Fighter II HD Remix.

The game will hit the PlayStation 3 on November 25, a full day earlier than the Xbox 360 version. It'll run $14.99 on the PS3.

Take note of the above statement. Same game with two new characters. Lol at the $40 switch price. Bomba guaranteed.

$40 + cost of pro controller to play the game properly.

$100+ to play a game released for $15 over 5 years ago.

Just let that sink in.

Edited by khilafah

But it's not just 2 new characters. Isn't it more modes too?

I'm getting it. Street fighter 2 was the fighting game of my youth, I could have Alzheimer's and my reptile brain would go before the controls to this.

Does anyone one know if we'll be getting a remixed soundtrack like Turbo HD? Im still listening to those tunes today.

Capcom are tripping. I love street fighter but I could buy SFV for less. That's ridiculous.

But it's not just 2 new characters. Isn't it more modes too?

I'm getting it. Street fighter 2 was the fighting game of my youth, I could have Alzheimer's and my reptile brain would go before the controls to this.

New game mechanics too, like being able to escape throws. It's a new version like how Super Street Fighter 2 was an update of SF2 Turbo.

2 new characters (who are basically pallette swaps) is a bit crap though.

I do think the price is a tad high though. £24.99 would be a nice price over here in the U.K for a physical copy.

Edited by Dcubed

This is one I'll add to the collection eventually but not at the launch price. Like DCubed said above, £25 would have been a much more enticing price.

I downloaded King of Fighters to see how the joycons vs pro controller perform in anticipation for this game...

Trying to do Kyo's Ryu-like hadoukens were a pain with the joycon d-pad and I probably had a success rate of about 4/10 - The pro controller is definitely the way to go! The response is spot-on and my success rate in firing that attack was on-command, at least 8/10 (for my own skill level).

I hope they sell a joycon with a proper d-pad (if they bundled it with this game that would be superb).

I downloaded King of Fighters to see how the joycons vs pro controller perform in anticipation for this game...

Trying to do Kyo's Ryu-like hadoukens were a pain with the joycon d-pad and I probably had a success rate of about 4/10 - The pro controller is definitely the way to go! The response is spot-on and my success rate in firing that attack was on-command, at least 8/10 (for my own skill level).

I hope they sell a joycon with a proper d-pad (if they bundled it with this game that would be superb).

What's the game like in general?

Tempted by some of the Neo geo games but don't know much about any of them

King of Fighters 98 is usually thought of as one of the best fighting games of all time.

What's the game like in general?

Tempted by some of the Neo geo games but don't know much about any of them

Its a bit too arcadey and low-res for my tastes, but definitely worth the £6.

Getting very tempted by this one as the graphics are so gorgeous. I thought I liked the original pixel art, but the hand-drawn is something else.

Only trouble is, in King of Fighters '94, I just can't roll the Joy-con's d-pad enough to do special moves. It's not the fault of that game (or this one), but it's making me think twice. Nonetheless, it looks brilliant.

I'm thinking this will bomb but I though bomberman would and was majorly wrong.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Actually bomberman bombs quite a lot. He's pretty much known for it at this point.

Review scores are all over the place for this. The price seems to be a big sticking point and the lack of content another. It's pretty bad that the servers aren't up and running yet. Many outlets have yet to give a final verdict as they have no idea how stable the online is going to be.

Ouch

Metascore: 71

Eurogamer Score: Avoid

It should be clear by now that I think The Final Challengers is a disappointing game. As a Street Fighter fan, I would have loved for Capcom to put more effort into the series' debut on the Nintendo Switch. If it had to be a definitive version of Street Fighter 2, it could have been so much better. An accurate port of Super Turbo at a reasonable price would have been enough for me - and I'm sure many Street Fighter fans.

US Gamer Score:3/5

If you absolutely need Street Fighter II on Switch, go ahead. For the 30th anniversary and $40? Capcom needed to do better. The company has released Street Fighter time and time again, and this doesn't even stand up to past efforts.

Destructoid Score: 7/10

This is the old school foundation that a lot of folks built their fighting game careers on. That's not a bad thing, especially with the Switch's on-the-go hook, but it could just as easily have been a downloadable release.

Vooks' Score: pending testing of online servers

None of this is to say that Ultra Street Fighter II is a terrible game. There’s a reason that even games today are still building on the foundation laid by Street Fighter II. The biggest issue here is that this particular release feels utterly unnecessary. There is so little about Ultra Street Fighter II that justifies a purchase unless you absolutely must play a version of Street Fighter II on Switch right now

God is a Geek score 7/10

Ultimately, this is pretty much the game you think it is, for better or worse. I still like and enjoy Street Fighter 2, though I’d prefer to play a more modern fighter. Including Violent Ken and Evil Ryu is a boon, but newcomers won’t care. Whatever you do think about SF2, this is far, far too expensive a price point for what is on the cart. While I can heartily endorse it as a good, sometimes great fighting game, I really can’t recommend buying it this price. So it’s a conundrum, then. A good game that costs too much

Press-Start Score: 4/10

Trusted Reviews Score: 4/5

Gaming-Age Score: C

CG Magazine Score: 8.5/10

Gamerreactor Score: 5/10

GameXplain Video review

GameKult Score: Bon (7/10)

What Capcom have offered here is a very meh offering when you consider what other developers have released or are releasing soon.

Just last week WB released Injustice 2 for around £40. For a £5 more you are getting a fantastic story mode that has multiple routes. A robust online set up that features one on one battles, spectator modes and KOTH. A clan/guild system that allows you to earn rewards as members of your guild play and increase the guild rank. Multiverse mode that give players challenges that change from day to day. The difference in content is quite staggering.

Namco are also set to release Tekken 7 next week. Once again this will offer far more bang for your buck.

I still love the look of it, but when you consider you can download an SNK fighter for £6.29, this is just too much. All I wanted was the 2D game with the hand-drawn, HD overlay.