NEurope
Serebii

Sonic Mania - Can you feel the sunshine?

A tip I got from another forum, for those who have yet to get it.. Apparently, if you go to the Russian E-shop, it's 10 euros. I personally feel it's 20 euros well spent regardless.

Blue spheres... blue spheres everywhere! Even when I close my eyes, they are there! :p

After a mammoth series of play sessions on this fantastic title since the second it launched, I have finally finished Sonic Mania... to completion, as Sonic & Tails. :D

Yes, that includes all main Special Stages beaten and all Blue Sphere stages perfected. :cool:

Oh plus all trophies obtained (PS4 version) no really... check my card if you like, I haven't got 100% on many PS titles but this is one which I really wanted to finish and wouldn't rest until it was properly complete. ;)

Of course I'll do a Tails run at some point & Knuckles as well, of course! But that will do for now. :peace:

I've enjoyed every second with this sublime Sonic title which may have taken Ages to create but it was worth the wait, I'm sure Sega will agree and really... I take my hat off to Christian Whitehead, Simon Thomley, Tom Fry,  Tee Lopes ,  Lola Shiraishi, Jared Kasl, Headcannon, PagodaWest Games and everyone involved in making this dream come true. :) 

Now to put the Switch version through its paces. :grin:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 7

17 hours ago, Grazza said:

I always wanted Sega to produce a 2D Sonic that looked 32-bit.  As cool as this seems, it does surprise me that the route to success was to make something that actually looks 16-bit.

Well the devs did say that they designed the visuals as if it were a long lost SEGA Saturn game, so you're not far off really :)

• Like 1

Yeah, the differences are subtle (well, apart form the very Saturn-esque bonus stage) but there are far more frames of animation than was possible on the Mega Drive. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sméagol said:

A tip I got from another forum, for those who have yet to get it.. Apparently, if you go to the Russian E-shop, it's 10 euros. I personally feel it's 20 euros well spent regardless.

This is true, just got it for that price. I'm not a massive Sonic fan so this price is far better for trying out this game. 

I've had one if the stages background music stuck in my head all day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ike said:

I've had one if the stages background music stuck in my head all day. 

I've had the Blue Spheres music in mine.

Just unlocked the best mode

Spoiler

ZHeAgMp.jpg

Although I do hope they patch in the option to use unlockable modes/moves with a save file.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cube said:

Just unlocked the best mode

Unlockable Modes (Reveal hidden contents)

ZHeAgMp.jpg

Although I do hope they patch in the option to use unlockable modes/moves with a save file.

Spoiler

I wonder if that has anything to do with this.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

I got to the credits last night.

This game. Just wow. It is definitely up there with the great Mega Drive games. I am struggling to put into words how I was feeling playing this game. It definitely brought back memories of playing the classics as a kid. 

I loved everything about it. This is how to create a Sonic game. A game for the fans by the fans.

I aim to do multiple play throughs to really learn the courses. I also need to get all the emeralds and the medals. 

I actually enjoy the Blue Sphere bonus stage. As a kid I used to put random Mega Drive games on the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge to see what stage would unlock.

I remember receiving Sonic & Knuckles as a kid and was so happy. This game reminded me of those times and reminded me why gaming is a hobby in the first place. 

Pure fun.

• Like 2

Picked this up yesterday and playing through it slowly.  Just lost all my lives in Chemical Plant Zone 1 as there were some moving platforms (ones that moved between being a vertical and a diagonal line) as I kept getting squashed even though there was plenty of space.  Guess I'll try again later.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Picked this up yesterday and playing through it slowly.  Just lost all my lives in Chemical Plant Zone 1 as there were some moving platforms (ones that moved between being a vertical and a diagonal line) as I kept getting squashed even though there was plenty of space.  Guess I'll try again later.

Yeah, I died there as well... 

Is it possible, once you have completed the game, to replay certain levels, or do you have to go through all the others to play specific levels? I'd like to try each level out some more but can't be bothered to play through all of them again and again to reach it.

I did on one life manage to skip it as I happened to jump during the sine wave section leading up to it and got to the top, but fell down a bit later and died again.

15 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Yeah, I died there as well... 

Is it possible, once you have completed the game, to replay certain levels, or do you have to go through all the others to play specific levels? I'd like to try each level out some more but can't be bothered to play through all of them again and again to reach it.

You can choose, like Sonic 3.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ashley said:

That was a bug in the original games that they decided to recreate for some odd reason.

• Like 1

Played this on my brother's Switch yesterday and think I saw enough to make me want to download it myself :hehe:

I kinda hope we get the Mega Drive games on Virtual Console in the near future too, though. The split buttons on the left Joy-Con didn't appear to be a detriment at all!

• Like 2

I've just been sitting playing this and decided to call it a night and put the Switch in sleep mode. I encountered that bug where the sleep option stays on the screen but I can't actually select it as the controllers move Sonic and not the menu. I've got no choice but to just let the battery run out because a hard reset doesn't work either. I guess this is where the shoddy Switch battery life comes in handy. :D

• Like 2

I downloaded the game yesterday and have just beat Studiopolis. Absolutely loving it so far :love: It's a great reminder of why Sonic was such fun on the Mega Drive!

Sonic Mania wasn't even really on my radar due to my apathy towards most games in the franchise since the turn of the century but this is exactly what I want to see from Sonic. Hopefully my enjoyment continues throughout :hehe:

I'd say it's probably to reward you if you did well, had a lot of rings, didn't get hit much, discovered lots of secrets... but then lost all your rings? Since the levels are much bigger it's harder to get a good time score as well. I'm just theorising though, the answer is probably out there on the google.

27 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I'd say it's probably to reward you if you did well, had a lot of rings, didn't get hit much, discovered lots of secrets... but then lost all your rings? Since the levels are much bigger it's harder to get a good time score as well. I'm just theorising though, the answer is probably out there on the google.

I'm more wondering why it's called "Cool Bonus" That's a silly name. Aren't all bonuses cool?

• Like 1

Well, just seen the credits roll. (I got 3 emeralds, wasn't really going for them)

It's a Sonic game? A Sonic game with some clever ideas, but somehow I feel like this being overhyped just a little. I'll have more to say about this in the Gaming Diary once I play through it with other characters.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Well, just seen the credits roll. (I got 3 emeralds, wasn't really going for them)

It's a Sonic game? A Sonic game with some clever ideas, but somehow I feel like this being overhyped just a little. I'll have more to say about this in the Gaming Diary once I play through it with other characters.

Yeah I'm feeling the same. It's good, but it's not amazing nor is it worthy of the amount of hype. It's a 2D Sonic game done well, but nothing amazing and doesn't really do much new