NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

I've not read a lot of impressions from E3 so not sure if it's new but they mention that the Wooded Kingdom is actually a greenhouse and Bowser has stolen the flowers from the garden for his wedding. Each Kingdom has been affected by Bowser's wedding plans in some way as he tries to get all the things he needs to put on his perfect ceremony. 

The article mostly offers insight into how Nintendo's production teams are changing and the young developers are interested in messing with conventions of their long standing series. Edge point out that there is an awful lot of Breath Of The Wild in Odyssey, but rather than being an enormous playground it's instead a more compact sandbox offering up the same kind of rewards for creative thinking.

• Like 1

I'm not going in this thread until after launch. Nintendo are doing their usual shiz where they seem hell bent on spoiling every level/feature/item etc ahead of release, Smash Bros. style.

Yeah, same here man. All I want to know now is when I can pre-order the amiibo, don't need to know any more about the game. Not too long to go now at least.

GAF ruined Peach's dress for me, so now I'm gonna give you the gift too. Her dress is a penis, and I can't unsee it :P.

• Like 6

Her expression seems so appropriate in that regard.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 3

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, Sheikah said:

I'm not going in this thread until after launch. Nintendo are doing their usual shiz where they seem hell bent on spoiling every level/feature/item etc ahead of release, Smash Bros. style.

I see your point, but Smash only really showed off stuff that was available from the get-go. Most of the hidden goodies were kept under wraps. You know, until that Bowser Jr leak broke through.

9 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I see your point, but Smash only really showed off stuff that was available from the get-go. Most of the hidden goodies were kept under wraps. You know, until that Bowser Jr leak broke through.

Nintendo also spoilt SM3DW's Rosalina unlock after you finish the game as well, in the middle of a Nintendo Direct even; which was totally not cool.

Otherwise, they haven't really done any egregious spoiling recently have they? Not counting Pokemon S/M obviously, since TPC just do whatever they want (and ironically, they've now gone in the opposite direction with US/UM :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

But that's still massively spoiling. Telling you in advance of a game's release the new characters who will be in it and their moves, what new items there are and what they do, photos of new stages etc...is massively spoiling the game, regardless of whether they are things you unlock or not.

I don't think they've done that much spoiling with Odyssey. The demos at E3, Gamescom, PAX etc have all been the same Sand / Metro Kingdom ones and they've shown off ten minutes or so from another couple of kingdoms. Given how much content there's been in the Galaxy, 3D Land/World games there must be tons we still haven't seen.

Edited by Ronnie

13 hours ago, Sheikah said:

But that's still massively spoiling. Telling you in advance of a game's release the new characters who will be in it and their moves, what new items there are and what they do, photos of new stages etc...is massively spoiling the game, regardless of whether they are things you unlock or not.

How in the world do you suggest they advertise Smash then? "Hey! We're making a new Smash Bros. But we're not gonna show off anything new. Just trust us on this, 'kay?" I would have been fine, but I'm not average gamer. There would have been riots. Or massive complaining. One of those.

How in the world do you suggest they advertise Smash then? "Hey! We're making a new Smash Bros. But we're not gonna show off anything new. Just trust us on this, 'kay?" I would have been fine, but I'm not average gamer. There would have been riots. Or massive complaining. One of those.

There's a difference between showing a few new things in a trailer alongside gameplay footage then waiting for reviews to hit to sell your game and the amount they put out out for Smash. They were gradually drip feeding information for Smash until you were left with a very solid understanding of exactly what would be there when you put the disc in. Not cool for me.

This isn't really the point anyway because obviously some people like to be spoiled. My point was that I won't be reading any more Mario Oddysey news as it seems they're doing their usual thing of telling you too much about what will be in the game. I know I want this game, as do I imagine most here, so extra information isn't going to inform my purchase, just spoil me. I'd rather be surprised on the day.

• Like 6

I've not watched anything about this game outside of the E3 trailer and about 5 mins of the Treehouse segment. I'd like to keep all the spoilers/info I know to a minimum.

As for Smash Bros, put me in the camp that hated the Dojo and various information drops. I honestly think that's why the last two Smash games haven't really resonated with me, as I knew pretty much everything about the game before I even played it. 

During the lead up to Melee I was really excited about the possibilities of what could be unlocked or the stages I would find on the disc but most of that was already spoilt in the sequels.

• Like 1

I'm definitely one that thinks Nintendo release too much information on games before they are released.

• Like 1

I don't think putting the names of kingdoms in small writing on a background detail on amiibo packaging is them purposefully spoiling the game.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

During the lead up to Melee I was really excited about the possibilities of what could be unlocked or the stages I would find on the disc but most of that was already spoilt in the sequels.

I remember not being into video game news before Melee was released. Playing the game completely blind was so much better than what I experienced with the sequels. Even staying clear of the Dojo didn't help because the news was spread on every video game site anyways...and I'm not going to stop visiting those sites because Nintendo spoils everything.

Like I did with BotW, I'll stay clear of everything aside from the E3 trailer for Super Mario Odyssey.

I don't think putting the names of kingdoms in small writing on a background detail on amiibo packaging is them purposefully spoiling the game.

I had no idea they had done this but this is most definitely not what I was referring to.

So what are you referring to, a couple of trailers and some gameplay footage ? They've been showing the same 10-20min desert/New Donk City gameplay since reveal.

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

So what are you referring to, a couple of trailers and some gameplay footage ? They've been showing the same 10-20min desert/New Donk City gameplay since reveal.

Well that's just not true now, is it? I know for sure I've seen another level shown outside of the trailer and that they revealed a rather meaningful secret of that level too.

And if your say it wasn't Nintendo themselves, they at the very least allowed someone else to play the level and show it.

Edited by Sheikah

Sorry should have been clearer, they've shown ten minute chunks of a forest kingdom and (at Gamescom) the polygonal one, but I definitely wouldn't say they're "ruining" anything. They were ten minute segments on each.

Oh and they've never shown off a level that's not in the trailer. They've shown off gameplay from 4 kingdoms so far.

Edited by Ronnie

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sorry should have been clearer, they've shown ten minute chunks of a forest kingdom and (at Gamescom) the polygonal one, but I definitely wouldn't say they're "ruining" anything. They were ten minute segments on each.

I don't think you necessarily need to be clearer, just correct. ;)

"Wooded Kingdom Demonstration" - 30:52 (top Google result).

It's great that you don't consider these spoilers, but I (along with many others) do.

3 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I don't think you necessarily need to be clearer, just correct. ;)

"Wooded Kingdom Demonstration" - 30:52 (top Google result).

It's great that you don't consider these spoilers, but I (along with many others) do.

Of course they're spoilers, don't watch if you don't want spoiled like HOT. Every game released has gameplay demos put out, we've seen plenty of the new Assassin's Creed for instance. The question is do Nintendo spoil too much. For Smash Bros, I say absolutely, their daily content updates were just too much. For Odyssey, knowing how much content are in 3D Mario games, I don't think we've seen too much at all.

(oh and like I said, we've never seen non-trailer gameplay and Treehouse demonstrate things so agonisingly slowly that 30 minutes may as well be ten minutes.)

Unfortunately these things tend to get spilled on gaming websites

28 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Of course they're spoilers, don't watch if you don't want spoiled like HOT.

Which was literally the first thing I said that started this discussion.

I know I want this game, and I feel Nintendo can't help themselves, so I will be swerving this topic for a while.

• Like 1