NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

3 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I know I want this game, and I feel Nintendo can't help themselves, so I will be swerving this topic for a while.

Off you pop then :p

• Like 1

Some have compared this game revealing a lot of stuff with Smash Bros doing it... but that's apples and oranges.

Odyssey is a platformer, you show how the main character controls, the overall aesthetic and a rough idea of how the levels are structured (e.: is it exploration-focused, or are they linear?), and that's all you need. Everything else is superfluous in generating hype.

Smash Bros, however, is a fighting game, and showing the available fighters is pretty important for the genre (doubly so for SSB, considering it's a crossover with established characters). Other fighting game franchises have done away with unlockable fighters altogether, partly because of online, but also because the player base puts so much value into knowing the full roster beforehand. Now, stuff like stages, items and story mode (or some other fleshed-out single player mode), that's what should remain secret.

So yeah, I agree with the sentiment of avoiding information on Odyssey, I just think the comparison to Smash Bros is a weak one.

• Like 1

Some have compared this game revealing a lot of stuff with Smash Bros doing it... but that's apples and oranges. Odyssey is a platformer, you show how the main character controls, the overall aesthetic and a rough idea of how the levels are structured (e.: is it exploration-focused, or are they linear?), and that's all you need. Everything else is superfluous in generating hype.

Smash Bros, however, is a fighting game, and showing the available fighters is pretty important for the genre (doubly so for SSB, considering it's a crossover with established characters). Other fighting game franchises have done away with unlockable fighters altogether, partly because of online, but also because the player base puts so much value into knowing the full roster beforehand. Now, stuff like stages, items and story mode (or some other fleshed-out single player mode), that's what should remain secret.

So yeah, I agree with the sentiment of avoiding information on Odyssey, I just think the comparison to Smash Bros is a weak one.

You say in a fighter it's fine to reveal characters but that everything else should remain secret - as Smash revealed far, far more than characters ahead of release, we are seem to be in agreement that Nintendo over-revealed for Smash.

You say, a platformer needs a general demonstration of controls, aesthetic and level structure - so I'm guessing you'd also agree that in-depth demo videos of new levels aren't really necessary in Mario Odyssey's case.

So the comparison between the two was pretty clear to me when I made it - Nintendo seem to be over-revealing for the kind of game Mario Odyssey is, the same as they did for the kind of game Smash was. Some may be fine with that of course, but I really like being surprised at launch.

4 hours ago, Sheikah said:

You say in a fighter it's fine to reveal characters but that everything else should remain secret - as Smash revealed far, far more than characters ahead of release, we are seem to be in agreement that Nintendo over-revealed for Smash.

You say, a platformer needs a general demonstration of controls, aesthetic and level structure - so I'm guessing you'd also agree that in-depth demo videos of new levels aren't really necessary in Mario Odyssey's case.

So the comparison between the two was pretty clear to me when I made it - Nintendo seem to be over-revealing for the kind of game Mario Odyssey is, the same as they did for the kind of game Smash was. Some may be fine with that of course, but I really like being surprised at launch.

I was talking specifically about the complaints directed at knowing the roster beforehand, considering Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS mainly promoted the roster and the device-exclusive modes, IIRC. Even if we count the dojo from a decade ago, the only info making it to main VG news sites was character reveals.

I was talking specifically about the complaints directed at knowing the roster beforehand, considering Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS mainly promoted the roster and the device-exclusive modes, IIRC. Even if we count the dojo from a decade ago, the only info making it to main VG news sites was character reveals.

Well the argument was more than focusing down on one specific complaint (i.e. more than just the characters), but from my perspective I do think it's unnecessary to reveal all characters before release. If people like fighters and the game reviews well, it seems superfluous to me to spoil them all. You're probably going to buy it anyway if you like that series and the game is a success.  

And about only character reveals reaching gaming blogs... I'm not sure where you got that from as that clearly isn't true, plenty of info other than character reveals was making it to those sites. From the briefest of Googles: link. From just Destructoid alone: link.

This post on gaf sums things up for me

I can't believe I'm saying this - because I believe Zelda is an industry-defining, watershed moment for gaming; easily among the ranks of Pong, Tetris, SMB, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, GTA, etc. It's unquestionably a 10/10 and should be the most obvious slam-dunk for GOTY in years.

Mario looks like it could be better...

• Like 2

DJo912MU8AA9oeY.jpg:large

That graphical upgrade though. While some companies downgrade while going into launch, Nintendo do the opposite

• Like 1

I wonder how high it is possible to go with that move....if you can do it as much as you like, effectively could you not fly? or was the mid air cap fling and jump just maintaining height?

Odyssey Amiibo up for pre-order on the Nintendo UK site, both individually and in a 3-pack.

The console bundle and the Mario case are up for order too.

Edited by killthenet

16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

This post on gaf sums things up for me

Haha.. while my love for Breath of the Wild didn't quite reach the incredible heights of the widespread consensus, my expectations for Super Mario Odyssey are through the roof :yay:

It's impossible to judge until I finally get to play it next month but I forsee the game making a serious impact on my top 10 of all time.. and what little I've seen excites me enough to think it could be my favourite game EVER!

No pressure, Nintendo :heh:

yeah... I kinda want this game. chipping away at my will to resist! :D

But it comes through at a bad time, financially... I think...

11 hours ago, Pestneb said:

yeah... I kinda want this game. chipping away at my will to resist! :D

But it comes through at a bad time, financially... I think...

You don't need food or rent. Come on :p 

7 hours ago, Serebii said:

You don't need food or rent. Come on :p 

perhaps, but I'm not convinced I would get the most out of my switch if I didn't!!

Pragmatically though, my Wii U is covering most of my gaming needs right now. If I see a great deal for a switch I may get one for my wife though :D
speaking of which... is it possible to have 2 accounts linked to a single switch console?

Edited by Pestneb

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

21762103_1717644508541560_82611294395364

it was obviously one of those fake tattoos, like the ones you'd occasionally get in children's cereals and the like... lasts a couple of weeks and then it just looks rubbish :D

3 hours ago, Pestneb said:

perhaps, but I'm not convinced I would get the most out of my switch if I didn't!!

Pragmatically though, my Wii U is covering most of my gaming needs right now. If I see a great deal for a switch I may get one for my wife though :D
speaking of which... is it possible to have 2 accounts linked to a single switch console?

Yes it is :)

3 hours ago, Pestneb said:

it was obviously one of those fake tattoos, like the ones you'd occasionally get in children's cereals and the like... lasts a couple of weeks and then it just looks rubbish :D

Like Nintendo's games

:bouncy:

On 14/09/2017 at 9:26 AM, Serebii said:

DJo912MU8AA9oeY.jpg:large

That graphical upgrade though. While some companies downgrade while going into launch, Nintendo do the opposite

Graphical upgrade or placeholder assets that were later replaced? ;)

Regardless, that crown looks stoned as fuck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Graphical upgrade.

And I always thought Nintendo's games age brilliantly, unlike their competitors.

Regardless, Serebii's point about Nintendo improving on earlier trailers while others downgrade visuals from earlier bullshots is valid.

The press were invited to a preview event last week and the embargo is just up on that so lots of content hitting the usual sites atm. Here's one hands-on report from IGN

One bit that kind of stuck out about a similar type of thing found in Sunshine. Not really spoilers but just in case...

Spoiler

"We were particularly elated to find an equivalent to Sunshine’s void levels, the special stages where Mario’s water backpack was removed and it was just you and your platforming skills against an extra hard level. The equivalent here is Cappy being taken away, so you can’t make your own platforms and have to be extra careful with enemies. It seems to be entirely optional, but never have we enjoyed being proven rubbish at a game quite so much."

Oh and 1080p, 60fps confirmed, seems it's been upgraded since E3/Gamescom.

Edited by Ronnie

Don't really want to see anything or hear about what they played. Bt what are the general impressions? Incredible? Weird? Anything worrying?