Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Thinking of Buying a 2DS/3DS

Rob3008

Apologies if this doesn't warrant a new thread but I'm thinking of buying a 3DS and was hoping people could offer some help on which model to get.

I mostly just want it to play Pokemon Sun/Moon (Go has reignited my love of the franchise). Is there that much of a difference between the 2DS and New 3DS XL besides 3D? Is it worth splashing out the extra and getting the New 3DS? It seems to be almost a £100 difference between the two and for just £75 the 2DS seems pretty good value but I don't want a poor gaming experience either. Help appreciated as I'm very on the fence :wtf:

I had an original 3DS from launch but recently upgraded to a New 3DS :hehe: I should have made the change a long time ago as it's a significantly better piece of kit and reignited my desire for the platform!

I've never been a fan of the XL models of any DS but the 2DS could be a great purchase if SNES VC games and 3D functionality aren't important to you, especially given how great the price is :smile:

Apologies if this doesn't warrant a new thread but I'm thinking of buying a 3DS and was hoping people could offer some help on which model to get.

I mostly just want it to play Pokemon Sun/Moon (Go has reignited my love of the franchise). Is there that much of a difference between the 2DS and New 3DS XL besides 3D? Is it worth splashing out the extra and getting the New 3DS? It seems to be almost a £100 difference between the two and for just £75 the 2DS seems pretty good value but I don't want a poor gaming experience either. Help appreciated as I'm very on the fence :wtf:

While I'd of course recommend the New3DS over the 2DS, the difference isn't gigantic if you're not that bothered by the lack of 3D and shorter loading times in general. Some titles look and run better on the New3DS than the older models (the most notable one being Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - Monster Hunter Generations is near identical on both though, strangely enough), while there are a handful of New3DS exclusive titles like Xenoblade 3D and the SNES VC games. But most games are just standard 3DS titles and will play identically on new and old models (if you do feel like playing those other games, you could always choose to upgrade later when the price comes down anyway).

Pokemon Sun/Moon also doesn't support 3D anyway (not even on the New3DS - mainly because Game Freak suck at programming :p ), so you're not missing out on anything really if you play Sun/Moon on a 2DS instead of a New3DS.

And with Switch supposedly not being backwards compatible with 3DS games, you'd be crazy not to own at least one model of the 3DS! The library is massive, wide, diverse and filled with a massive number of high quality titles. Go for it! : peace:

Edited by Dcubed

Yeah I'm somewhat in the same position, I might be looking to buy a NEW 3DS sometime for Pokémon Sun.

However - as DCubed mentioned - I just found out it doesn't support 3D outside of one mode. That sucks. I was looking forward to seeing battles in 3D and somewhat the world itself.

I don't like the look of the 2DS personally.

Definitely worth going for a new 3DS, but only if you will get decent usage out of it, I suppose. It's obviously more portable than the 2DS and faster when performing basic functions, though if you don't plan on taking it out with you, the 2DS may suit you better. I have the new 3DS (not XL) and feel it's a good compromise between the XL and 2DS. All the benefits of the XL and at a cheaper price point. Did I mention the swappable faceplates and the SNES throwback face buttons??

I would just splash out and buy the New 3DS XL. That said, I don't have one (just have the original and XL), but if I was in the market for a 3DS, I'd definitely get a New 3DS XL. There are enough times that I've wanted to use its features, whether it's the dual analogue or Virtual Console. OK, I probably wouldn't build up a huge VC library with the Switch on its way, but the 3DS still has loads of eShop games that are exactly suited to its resolution.

The 3DS is such a great handheld, playing one game is likely to make you want to play another. I'd just want to see them all at their best.

While I'd of course recommend the New3DS over the 2DS, the difference isn't gigantic if you're not that bothered by the lack of 3D and shorter loading times in general. Some titles look and run better on the New3DS than the older models (the most notable one being Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - Monster Hunter Generations is near identical on both though, strangely enough), while there are a handful of New3DS exclusive titles like Xenoblade 3D and the SNES VC games. But most games are just standard 3DS titles and will play identically on new and old models (if you do feel like playing those other games, you could always choose to upgrade later when the price comes down anyway).

Pokemon Sun/Moon also doesn't support 3D anyway (not even on the New3DS - mainly because Game Freak suck at programming :p ), so you're not missing out on anything really if you play Sun/Moon on a 2DS instead of a New3DS.

And with Switch supposedly not being backwards compatible with 3DS games, you'd be crazy not to own at least one model of the 3DS! The library is massive, wide, diverse and filled with a massive number of high quality titles. Go for it! : peace:

Thanks for all the tips, think this has sold me on the 2DS!

My advice - budget big and go small for a second-hand if it's just the one or two games you're after; then you can put the savings toward the Switch next year ;)

I'll probably get the Switch 6 months after release when Nintendo drop the price ;)

Just watching Easy Allies Tuesday group stream and they've just mentioned Nintendo sent out a press release saying there will be a $100 New 3DS deal on Black Friday.

Has anyone heard anything more about this? Is this only through the Nintendo store etc...

I only saw it mentioned on NeoGAF a few days ago and thought it would be an amazing deal, if there's a UK equivalent!

I don't regret getting my New 3DS a couple of months ago as it's already been worth it but a ridiculously good Black Friday deal might hurt me a little bit :heh:

Apparently it will be available at all US retailers but only for the two special Mario editions.

NewNintendo3DS_white_system.0.jpg

They come in black and white variations but because it's a standard sized 3DS you can obviously change the face plates.

Hopefully this comes to the UK too as I've been holding off buying Hyrule Warriors until I can upgrade to one of the new 3DS's.